Australian Banks

Guest Carolm

Guest Carolm

Can anyone recommend or give any feedback on opening a bank account in Oz - want to pay as little in bank charges as possible!!!!!

Many banks will waive monthly fees if you can show them that your pay goes into the account regularly. I have an account with St George and pay no fees but once my employer changed the way they input the deposit and it didnt actually specify that it was my pay and the bank slipped the fees in - they acknowledged the problem and took the fees away. Check with whichever bank you decide to go with and they will probably do that.

Guest chris_mac
Can anyone recommend or give any feedback on opening a bank account in Oz - want to pay as little in bank charges as possible!!!!!

Hi Carol

Pease see links to banks and browse at your leisure to see which suits your circumstances best.

ABA Members – Contact Details

Best wishes

Chris

Guest terryvaughn

Hi,

If you would like to open a HSBC Bank Student account you need to complete the application form on-line HSBC bank. HSBC bank will then send details of your bank account to your Cardiff term time address.

I pay $5 a month at ANZ and I believe it's the same at Westpac, that's for a standard bank account just using and EFTPOS card and internet banking, I think you can incur more charges if you have a cheque book.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JoanneHattersley

Bankwest is one of the best at the moment. No bankcharges at all, no ATM charges! I have a savings acct which at the time I got almost 10% interest on, that HAS changed now tho.

Google them and have a looksie!

Guest ABCDiamond

Some of the Online Banks

(Normally higher interest rates but with less facilities)

• ING DIRECT - 3.75% Standard Deposit Rate as at 14/3/2009
  • HSBC Online - 1.00% Standard Deposit Rate as at 14/3/2009 (between $5,000 and $499,999)
  • HSBC Serious Saver - 3.50% Standard Deposit Rate as at 14/3/2009 (if no withdrawals in the month) (No minimum opening or ongoing account balance)
  • St George DirectSaver - 3.45% Standard Deposit Rate as at 14/3/2009
  • Rabobank Australia Ltd - 4.00% Standard Deposit Rate as at 14/3/2009

HSBC was a good account, but their interest rate is now a bit low.

Make sure you check which ATM's you can use free of charge, with which bank.

eg:

HSBC account holders can use Westpac ATM's for free, but pay for any bank ATM

St George Bank account holders can use Westpac and BankSA ATM's

Bank West account holders can use CBA ATM's

AUSTRALIAN BANKS with special facilities for opening an Australian account from the UK

• ANZ - The ANZ Access Advantage Account is available to be applied for to open an account prior to coming to Australia.
  • Westpac - Migrant Banking Facility from Westpac Bank
  • NAB - The NAB now have a dedicated migrant banking team.

I understand that HSBC UK now charge £100 to help set up a HSBC Australia account. It costs nothing to do it in Australia dealing direct.

Guest Furball

I'm probably going to get a Commonwealth e-account. You can set them up online from the UK and then just go pick everything up when you get there. The OH and his family bank there and like them and looking at the account charges and everything they seem as reasonable as they're ever going to to an English person!!

Overviews here: Commonwealth Bank Group -

Archived