getting into a school

Guest mrsmynoraxis

Guest mrsmynoraxis

i have 3 children and will be moving to oz on 16th march on a subclass 300 temp... ( prospective marriage) i would like t know ...

1) are my children allowed to go to school free on this visa

2) what years will they be in ? ( 7 year old ( 11/09/01 ) 4 yr old ( 7/12/04)

3) how long is the waiting lists normally

also i know my son is only 4 and can attend full time school over here in uk at certain schools .. i have heard that in aus if they are very intellegent they can start school at that age full time too ... is this true

thanks for any help :wub:

Guest mrsmynoraxis

oh and my 3rd son is only 6 months and an australian citizen so not really looking into schooling for him yet lol...

In most states your 7 year old would be in year 2 and your 4 year old would not be in full time school until 2010. I doubt any system would accelerate her into full time school no matter how intelligent - they tend to be a bit flexible within sight of the cut off dates but not that far out. You would have to get the assessments done and they look at social development as well as intelligence. I have no idea if you have to pay but your visa conditions should mention that.

Sorry, forgot to say - you can get a child into your in area school virtually the same day because schools are obliged to find a place for a child in their catchment area (or whatever the state calls it). If you want an out of area placement then a school may turn you down if they are oversubscribed. To get into a private school depends on the school and the demand. Our Catholic schools are well oversubscribed and for some of the posher privates you have to put the kid's name down at conception (and pay a fee for the privilege).

As well, some states dont do "preschool" quite as well as ACT does (we have a free part time school for kids the year before they start full time school) - in some you have to pay and in others the places are scarcer than hens teeth so waiting lists or the need to go far from home may apply for that level.

Guest sanders family

Could i ask what year would my children go into when we arrive in july, son is 16 this june, second son is 13 this month and daughter 10 in july just before we come out. I was hoping that eldest could go to yr10 untill dec then in feb start yr11 so he get the full 2 year to get oz qualications. second son yr 8 and daughter yr5. thank you.

Could i ask what year would my children go into when we arrive in july, son is 16 this june, second son is 13 this month and daughter 10 in july just before we come out. I was hoping that eldest could go to yr10 untill dec then in feb start yr11 so he get the full 2 year to get oz qualications. second son yr 8 and daughter yr5. thank you.

If you are going to Victoria then your 15/6 year old would be in year 10, your 13 year old would be in year 8 and your 10 year old will be in year 5.

Guest sanders family
If you are going to Victoria then your 15/6 year old would be in year 10, your 13 year old would be in year 8 and your 10 year old will be in year 5.

Thank you so much thats another worry ticked off the list:unsure:

Archived