Shipping

Guest col&dee

Guest col&dee

What happens if you ship your household goods in a 20ft container and you cant provide a delivery address as yet . Do they hold your stuff in storage at the docks in oz till ur are set up in your rented accomidation. Is there an extra charge for this. Or is it a case of it takes that long to get there anyway you will be despearte for the stuff when it arrives. What if you only want to take some stuff and only require half a container. Do the charge you in overall weight. How do they estimate how much to charge you. Anyone recommend a shipping company.

Hi Col&dee

I guess this may varey depending where you want you goods shipped to in oz, we had our shipped to Sydney and we only had a friends address to give them, if we wanted storage untill we arrived it was going to cost us extra, cant remember how much exactly but i do remember us gasping at the price !!! - best maybe to try and arrange to arrive here yourself a wee while before your goods so you can go staright into a rental etc.

We were desperate for our items by the time they arrived as they went to Perth then should of gone straight to sydney but go put onto another container ship and then went via melbourne ended up taking an extra 2 weeks, in total left june 06 arrived oz sep 06

hope this helps

gizmo

Guest col&dee

Cheers Gizmo,

We're hoping to settle in Brisbane. Thanks for the info though-thought it may have taken even longer than that to get the container from UK to Oz. We don't know anyone in Brisbane to use their address,but I'm sure we'll work something out.

Guest steve110

Most logistic outfits have storage arrangments,whether that be their own warehouses (for the big companies) or can arrange/have storage agreements set up with other companies.

There will be extra cost for these,its big buisness these days.

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

is $2000 a reasonable amount to ship goods over from uk for a small 2 bed house or is that way short of the mark

Guest steve110

$2000 ? if you mean aus dollars rather than £2000 sterling,i"d say thats pretty dam good ...but check what you are actually getting for that money.

(current exchange rate puts that at £816.61) costs nearly that to get a removal firm to move you in the uk .............

Guest SAINTHURLOCK
$2000 ? if you mean aus dollars rather than £2000 sterling,i"d say thats pretty dam good ...but check what you are actually getting for that money.

(current exchange rate puts that at £816.61) costs nearly that to get a removal firm to move you in the uk .............

A$2000 Is the amount i have been offered as part of a deal for a job in sydney,not sure what that will get us tho

Sainthurlock,

Em again!! I posted a thread reading shipping will try bump it up for you. Looking at around £3000 (sterling) for 20ft container, so need to bear in mind you will prob have to pay the extra.

Em x

Guest SAINTHURLOCK

Hi Em,

sainthurlocks my email name (football thing) real name is Paul,thanks again,you are a wealth of knowledge,got to say £3000 is a bit of a shocker,is there any smaller containers,havent really looked into that side of things yet,any companies youd reccomend

Hi Paul,

Most of my knowledge is from here, you will find you take in loads of info or someone has already asked.....I tend to ask the blond questions hense the knowledge hehe.

My friend is going to Perth 8th April and has sold her whole house down to the pots and pans. She is intouch with a girl from Manchester who is doing the shipping (packing) themselves and has paid about £1500, I have asked her to get the info of who she is using. I mentioned in my other post I think there is 2 options: 1. get company in to pack and dismantle prices seem to be about £3000 2. pack and dismantle yourself, container gets dropped and got x amount of hours to pack it.

Hope that helps

Emx

Guest dwaldron

Crown Relocations have quoted me A$182 a month to store half of a 20 foot container onmce it has arrived so storage is quite cheap. They also offer one month's free storage in the UK, so if you want to delay arrival of your goods, that's something to take advantage of.

Guest col&dee

Cheers dwaldron

Thanks for the info on storage. We filled in an online quotaion form for Crown to see what price they can offer us. Yesterday we were up for moving most of the house, today heads wasted and we dont no what to take. My friend in Sydney sent me an email saying when they collected their 15 boxes they had to pay more again for taxes, quarantine and customs inspections. They did not use Crown and dont no if Crowns price is inclusive of these charges.

Hi Paul,

We paid £3,800 which included insurance to bring practically all our stuff from a 3 bed house. The problem with half a container is that it's stood waiting at the dock for someone else to fill it (so I'm led to believe), so there can be a delay.

Personally, I'd say bring as much as you can. We're bringing loads, and have still had to buy a sofa, fridge, 2 beds, patio furniture, barbecue, TV, coffee table as the houses are so much bigger.

£3,000 may sound a lot but in the grand scheme of things it will cost you so much more to furnish a home here.

Ali

• 4 weeks later...
Guest madpomcow

Hi,:shocked:

I was just wondering how much you had to Pay out for your insurance I am not very bright when it comes to adding up.:embarrassed: If its 4.2% is that on your cost of your shipping or on how much your Property is worth.

sorry to ask the blonde questions I feel abit dim today :confused:

Hubby says it was about £300 for the insurance - you price your own property on how much it would be to replace. I didn't do this - it was one of hubbys jobs. I was surprised at how much my daughters dolls house and furniture came to though when we added it all up

Ali

Guest madpomcow

I think I will get hubby to do ours i am not very bright when it comes to Adding numbers together.:unsure:

Thanks for your quick response :)

Guest Impatient
Hi Paul,

We paid £3,800 which included insurance to bring practically all our stuff from a 3 bed house.

Ali - we have always thought about leaving most of our stuff and buying new because of the shipping costs. But if we are taking a container anyway, seems daft to throw stuff away.

What size container did you get? 20'?

Guest NIGEL

We had a 20ft container cost £3.024.00 insurance was £680.0 we had to add up all the cost of the stuff in container then it was a percentage of the cost of all the items on the list we didnt itemise everything on the list as the cost was expensive enough, we also didnt give them an address as we dont have one but had to give them our e-mail address and phone number for when it arrives over there if we dont have a rental it can go into storage at an extra charge.

Karen

Hiya we just used crown to send 18 big boxes as didnt think much of furniture after 8 yrs of kids using stuff as climbing frames and trampolines,they were really good and helpful ,if anyone is looking into moving this way ,i may be able to sort you with an adress instead of paying the docks for storage.

Cal x

Guest donovan

Hiya just thought i would let you know I have had 2 quotes one from crown relocation and one from Bishops move, I then got on to Eagle freight who we use at work and have done for 20 years, they came in with a better price cheaper insurance and same service web site is eaglerelocations.com tel 0870 389 1585 give them a try as I am well chuffed with the deal I got from them.

Sarahx

Archived