cant live without my persil and ariel..

Guest mrsmynoraxis

Guest gary12
Nope, my son was on Nutramigen last year when we visited, I had to bring 9 tins of the flippin stuff with us. I am sure they will do an equivalent but I would stock up in your suitcase and declare at customs until you find a suitable alternative.

Michelle

Hi Just to let you know I was in my local Safeway today (VIC) and found a a couple of tins for lactose intolerant babies, some were soy based the other goats based. Expensive though starting at $25 to $34 for a standard 900g tin.

regards

Michelle

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to have to disagree there. I find the supermarket meat here infinitely better than dreaded Tesco was in the UK. Chicken is slightly more expensive because there's no direct equivalent to the supercheap battery birds Tesco used to discount. However, the basic bird is "barn raised" (as opposed to caged) and has far more flavour and texture and less fat. For a family of three I can usually get 3 meals out of a basic $10/£5 bird.

Aussie beef is cheaper, more flavoursome and definitely more tender than what I used to get in the UK. Especially if you watch for the regular sales and buy in bulk, things like rump steak are actually affordable on a budget--and after a short stint on the BBQ it's melt in the mouth tender.

The lamb and pork are good too but I had fewer complaints about those in the UK.

Bob

Sorry mate, gotta diagree! I NEVER EVER bought cheap crap chicken from tesco or other places, always organic free range, which tastes better than any you can get over here and not so sure it's always free rnage when they claim it is at a butcher. Butchers sell ok lamb and beef but I still think the quality stuff from UK supermarkets was better than over here. But welfare is a big thing for me when buying meat and I am not so sure of standards over here for non orgainc stuff.

But hey thats my opinion! :biggrin:

Guest proud2beaussie

I spent 3 months in the UK last year and the only lamb that was reasonably priced was frozen NZ stuff so I would say that Australian lamb is deffo better,I also think that Australian beef is hard to beat unless you are happy to pay an arm and a leg for wagu.

British pork was quite good but I found the bacon very watery and over salted,I do like the gluten free sausages my GF gets from her local butcher in Beckenham though,I haven't been able to find as good here in Australia.

The free range,organic chickens she gets are also very good and probably on a par with the ones I can get from my butcher here.

Guest Gabby

for W A meat overs !!!!!! buy Avon Valley meat and they will send frozen on a phone order if you live in the country.

Beef is superb and they have a great range of all meats local or seasonal or imported from NZ

The Premium mince is totally fantastic and we can get organic or free range good quality chicken too. Inghams chicken doesn't have hormones in so that is a pretty good brand to but too.

My husband and sons are both butchers so I go by what they say and have never gone wrong --that is in PERTH W A Guys

Guest claire&fred

I am in Perth.

Germolene is just called Germolene here.

You can get:

Bisto gravy granules in either the IGA's or Coles.

Aunty Betty's make the frozen Yorkshire Puds here, not Aunt Bessie's.

Ariel was my all time favourite washing powder, here i use Radiant washing powder and Fluffy conditioner. They make washing powders for both top and front loader machines.

The Supa Sister Iga in Lakeside, Joondalup sells English Cadburys, don't use the English sweet shop in Lakeside it is a complete rip off and I have found things that they do there cheaper in the normal supermarkets.

To be honest if you are going to all the effort of moving here, when you get here take a proper look in the supermarkets you will always find what you need even if you have to change from your UK brand. I swore I would never pine for anything back home and now I don't and that certainly makes my life a whole lot easier.

Claire

Guest claire&fred

Also just to add. I find the meat here a huge improvement. We have a lovely joint of beef every week and it is really nice and cheap too. I think the chicken here is good too.

Smiths are not the same name for Walkers. Smiths have always been their own brand of crisps in the UK and here. Here they are made by the Smiths Snackfood Company and are nothing to do with walkers. We used to love Walkers in the UK but find the Smiths brand just as good. The Sour Cream and Onion, I think, tastes just like Walkers Cheese & Onion.

You can also get Branston Pickle here, either the big chunky one or the sandwich pickle. I have also seen Weetabix in IGA too.

Claire

To be honest if you are going to all the effort of moving here, when you get here take a proper look in the supermarkets you will always find what you need even if you have to change from your UK brand. I swore I would never pine for anything back home and now I don't and that certainly makes my life a whole lot easier.

Claire

I couldn't agree more! I honestly can't think of any "supermarket product" where we can't either get exactly the same or a local equivalent that's as good or better. There are things I remember fondly--and I'll be dashing out for a really GOOD curry when I stop of the plane on my round the world jaunt in September--but Tesco, Asda et al aren't on that list!

Bob

Guest Gabby

I am glad to see these postings .Australia is a modern country and we do have all mod cons some are better some are not but it all balances out. We are from nottingham and my husband was really missing his Beetop Steak sauce eventually found fountain steak sauce and when a friend brought the Beetop --6 bottles ! it ended up in the bin --no flavour compared to Fountain so just find an alternative and make life easy.

Guest claire&fred
I couldn't agree more! I honestly can't think of any "supermarket product" where we can't either get exactly the same or a local equivalent that's as good or better. There are things I remember fondly--and I'll be dashing out for a really GOOD curry when I stop of the plane on my round the world jaunt in September--but Tesco, Asda et al aren't on that list!

Bob

Nothing better than a good curry. Although I have found a great curry restaurant here and I must say even by my standards it is just excellent! Koh-I-Nor in Padbury, WA, just in case anyone is interested.

Claire

Nothing better than a good curry. Although I have found a great curry restaurant here and I must say even by my standards it is just excellent! Koh-I-Nor in Padbury, WA, just in case anyone is interested.

Claire

:no::no:

Pataks

Theres a good one at Guildford ,best i`ve had apart from my own , chefs from Bradford lol

Guest claire&fred

Claire

:no::no:

Pataks

Theres a good one at Guildford ,best i`ve had apart from my own , chefs from Bradford lol

Your Onion Bhajee's are the definately the best I have had in a while! I use the Patak curry sauces, we like the Madras.

Claire

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Lewis S
I am in Perth.

Germolene is just called Germolene here.

You can get:

Bisto gravy granules in either the IGA's or Coles.

Aunty Betty's make the frozen Yorkshire Puds here, not Aunt Bessie's.

Ariel was my all time favourite washing powder, here i use Radiant washing powder and Fluffy conditioner. They make washing powders for both top and front loader machines.

The Supa Sister Iga in Lakeside, Joondalup sells English Cadburys, don't use the English sweet shop in Lakeside it is a complete rip off and I have found things that they do there cheaper in the normal supermarkets.

Claire

Does this mean that Aunt Betty's yorkshire Puddings are available in Perth??????????

I am starting to lose hope that i will ever have them again :(

Guest Lewis S

Really!!

I have looked in my local Coles, Woolies and IGA but not found them. Do you know which stores may stock them

depends where yo live. My local farmer jacks sells them and I have seen them in both coles and Wooliies.I have never bought them as I make my own --too easy to make honest and practice makes perfect--go on get the flour out .--- maybe if you can't find this product just ask at the service desk and they will check for you. Cheers Gabby

Archived