Jobs in ACT/Canberra

Guest Michele

Guest Michele

Hello,

We are considering getting sponsorship by ACT but we are worried about the job prospects for IT Managers/Project Managers/Business Consultants. It seems that most of the jobs advertised are government based jobs and require you to be an Australian citizen.

Has anyone else found this to be a problem?

Has anyone else found jobs as IT Managers with only a permanent visa?

We are really struggling with this issue, so any ideas or thought would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. smile.gif

Michele

Guest zah0505
Hello,

We are considering getting sponsorship by ACT but we are worried about the job prospects for IT Managers/Project Managers/Business Consultants. It seems that most of the jobs advertised are government based jobs and require you to be an Australian citizen.

Has anyone else found this to be a problem?

Has anyone else found jobs as IT Managers with only a permanent visa?

We are really struggling with this issue, so any ideas or thought would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. smile.gif

Michele

Hi Michele

we are applying for the same visa 176 for act canberra and i asked the same question from the government yesterday - I was told that any job you see advertised has to state that you need to be an australian resident as all companies have to advertise the opportunities they have available to their own citizens - (thats the difference between oz and uk) Australians look after their own and so it should

After the post has been advertised locally for 2 months, they can then start looking at immigration applicants - I have been advised that I should not let this put me off applying, it just means I am further down the list - hope this helps

ZAH0505

Guest Michele

Hi zah0505,

Thank you for your reply.

I know that you need security clearance to work for the government (most jobs in the ACT are with the govt.), and that you can only get it if you are an Australian Citizen. If the position can't be filled by an Aussie they then consider people with permanent visas.

I have just found out that the govt. is now making a large number of people redundant and those people still working are expecting the worst. With so many unemployed the remaining jobs will no doubt go to Australian Citizens.

We have deceided not to take the risk of getting sponsorship by the ACT as my husband is unlikey to find a job in the current market conditions.

Cheers,

Michele

• 1 month later...
Guest ozziewannabees

Hi all

We are applying for the IT Manager sponsorship route too... what would happen if we all did go over there and then couldn't find jobs I wonder? Would we get sent home or would the government let us move to another state??? I wasn't aware of the situation about the Ozzie citizens adn the government jobs... most of the jobs are government jobs so that really changes my thoughts too!

Guest Michele
Would we get sent home or would the government let us move to another state???

That's a very good question!

Hi

I have lived in the ACT for two years and have just submitted for citizenship for this very reason. I am an IT contractor and its difficult, but not impossible to find work. The current market is poor with the goverment cutting IT contractors and making them permanent staff due to the Gershon Report. Different government departments have different requirements on citizenship and security clearance. I work for a small low security level agency and they are able to recruit permanent residents, but its rare. it can be done, but the market is tough atm and without local experience and citizenship it will be hard. Also I only had to live here 2 years, now its 4 for citizenship that is a lot longer to try and get work as a non citizen.

I love living in the ACT, so I'd say its worth it though.

• 2 months later...

I was in the Army back in the UK and I have found it very difficult to find an employer to take me on in the field I am well experanced in so instead I decided to look at other jobs on the market and ended up working at an Auction House in Fyshwick. The job is great, I have taken a big pay cut from what I'm used to but hopefully I can build on that and get back on track. If not I could go to defence once I get my PR

Archived