Taking a car back to UK

Guest kimbo67

Guest kimbo67

can anyone help? i want to take my car back to the Uk with me. Not sure how much its going to cost. Does anyone know about import duties and costs?

thanks

can anyone help? i want to take my car back to the Uk with me. Not sure how much its going to cost. Does anyone know about import duties and costs?

thanks

why would you bother, every post I have seen on PIO states that cars are cheaper in UK than here! but maybe you really love your Holden lol.

i'm trying to find this info out too. I spoke to someone at one of the well know relocation firms. She had a quick read and said she thought that as long as you had owned the car for 6months or more and you were permanently relocating back to the uk there wasn't any import duty.

Sounds a bit dodgy though, might look into it further.

She did say though that you could take sole use of a 20ft, or 40ft container depending on the size of the car, and they'll secure the car and you can pack the rest of your belongings in. Cost of that was about $7-9k for the 20ft, 9-11k for the 40ft.

I thought the 20ft sounded reasonable considering you'll get your car and all belongings back.

Guest kimbo67

the reason I'm bothering is I sold a car in the uk for much less than it was worth. I since found out I could have brought it with me for much less than it has cost to by a new one.

i think it would be cheaper to ship this one back home than sell it at a knock down price and pay a premium for a new one when I get back.

Who told you cars are cheaper in uk? second hand ones maybe.

Anyway its a rav4, 6 months old. if anyone's got anything useful to add.

thanks.

Guest John Sydney

I don't know what Port your close too. but you might try back loading on a Roll On Roll Off ship. These ships bring cars from Europe to Australia all the time they may not dock in the UK. Shipping this way means you don't need a container the car is tied down in the ship

the reason I'm bothering is I sold a car in the uk for much less than it was worth. I since found out I could have brought it with me for much less than it has cost to by a new one.

i think it would be cheaper to ship this one back home than sell it at a knock down price and pay a premium for a new one when I get back.

thanks.

Could it be worth shipping into France then bringing it back by ferrie. You know what this country is like "one hand does not know what the other is doing" You would not have to pay import dutie in France as you do not live there.

Guest tim_the_taf

Don't do it !!! We just moved back, and were shocked at how cheap cars are in the UK now. Ridiculously cheap in some cases. Unless its a classic HSV or something, just not worth it. Lots and lots of choice for lower prices than in Oz.

Guest earlswood
Don't do it !!! We just moved back, and were shocked at how cheap cars are in the UK now. Ridiculously cheap in some cases. Unless its a classic HSV or something, just not worth it. Lots and lots of choice for lower prices than in Oz.

My brother got a 2 year old fiesta at measham auctions with a years warranty left and 18.000 on the clock for £2,400

Guest earlswood

thanks.

No new cars are cheaper than ever...try this site.

Motorpoint: UK's No1 Car Supermarket - New and Nearly New Cars

Guest tim_the_taf

I saw a 3 yr old Mondeo Zetec sell at auction for 2950 about a month ago. Crazy prices.

My brother got a 2 year old fiesta at measham auctions with a years warranty left and 18.000 on the clock for £2,400

Guest tim_the_taf

its worse than that. Also has to meet UK pollution, emissions etc. regulations, plus the usual lights etc. There's no guarantee it will be passed. However, you can check with Customs etc. to see if the make and type has previously been passed. I know someone who shipped back a 4x4 that failed, and he had to ship it back again. However, can't see there being an issue with bog standard vehicles though. I looked into shipping back our Hyundai Terracan V6, and didn't, partly because Hyundai don't sell that engine in the UK, which would have meant 3 months for any parts. The warranty would have been valid there though.

• 1 year later...
Guest northbankdaveey

oh im so confused about this im hoping to go back early next year, bought my hyuandi getz 1.6 sx in oct 09 it was under a year old when bought, only has kph and no fog light, iti in immaculete condition, i really wanna take it with me, but wonder if it is going to be to cost;y and a headache, i know where i came from in rural essex there is a hyuandi dealership or 2 or 3 and my mates back in uk are mechanics panel beaters and dvla is in chelmsford, just trying to work out if paying the finnance off and selling it on here in oz is going to be less then taking it back and geting whatever to get done as paper work and red tape baffle me, would appreciate some help, i guess im a bit sentimental withthe car to lol :)

Archived