what car type am i looking for?help please!

seekingsunshine

Hi everyone :) hope someone in the know can help!

i've been looking through the car threads especially the one's about shipping your car over - can't decide whether its worth doing this or not!

we have a 2006 hyundai trajet done nearly 50,000 miles so when we sell it will be pretty much worth nothing! but stll has warrenty for another two years.

i've been looking on ebay australia at cars but being pretty clueless about cars i cant figure out what 'body type' i should be entering!

we're looking for a car thats similar size to hyundai trajet, by june we're going to have three children aged three and under so need at least five adult seats so can fit car seats etc - really we'd prefer a seven seater car for when peeps visit us down under.

i've tried entering 'wagon' into ebay and that comes up with a kia carnival which looks about the right size, but a lot of other cars that come up arent big enough and don't have enough adult seats!

could anyone tell me what body type of car i should be looking for? or suggest some models that are suitable for us as a family?! we know we have to think practically rather than beautiful! no-one could say people carriers are the most beautiful cars in the world haha!

Thanks for any family car experts out there who can help!

Helen 26, Matt 30, Katie 2, Tom, 2 and bump (5 mths!) xxxxx

I don't know what a Trajet is but if you go to the Hyundai Australia website www.hyundai.com.au and see if Aus just badges it differently, or if you can't find it maybe email them and ask to see if they can help?

Otherwise, best place to look for used cars is either www.tradingpost.com.au or www.drive.com.au or www.carpoint.com.au

You might want to make an enquiry with Hyundai as to how much services etc would be, as if it's not a model that has been released in Aus it would be a grey import and therefore might be really expensive to service and also hard to sell when you need to. I think there's some sort of import tax as well?

If you say it's a people mover type car it might be classed as either a station wagon or suv in Aus.

If you don't decide to ship over and need a really cheap wagon, you could see if Commodore/Falcon/Magna wagons would be big enough, as they'd prob be cheapest! You'll find that makes you've thought of as cheap are expensive in Aus, and vice versa, due to there being a different buying market.

Good Luck!!

thanks smc01!

i've had a quick look at the cars u mentioned but they're not really big enough :( because of having to have three child seats we need three proper seats in the back of the car!!!

i hadnt thought of the possibility that they might not have the trajet model in oz!!! i will defo look into that, as like you said that could be a problem and mean its not worthwhile taking the car! wil check out the used car sites you mentioned too - THANK YOU!!!!

thanks Bobj - that answered my question :) least i know now that the trajet is in oz and what current prices are....think i may ship my car over after all..... :(

this may be a daft question but if you get a 40 foot container can you put your car in it? or does it have to be shipped in a certain way? i'm sure i read on another post of someone putting their 4x4 in their container!!!! do all shipping companies do this? (or none at all if you can't do it!?!)

Thanks

Helen 26, Matt 30, Katie 2, Tom 2 and bump (5 mths) xxxxx

Guest spottymercedes
thanks Bobj - that answered my question :) least i know now that the trajet is in oz and what current prices are....think i may ship my car over after all..... :(

this may be a daft question but if you get a 40 foot container can you put your car in it? or does it have to be shipped in a certain way? i'm sure i read on another post of someone putting their 4x4 in their container!!!! do all shipping companies do this? (or none at all if you can't do it!?!)

Thanks

Helen 26, Matt 30, Katie 2, Tom 2 and bump (5 mths) xxxxx

Hi there, We shipped our 4X4 Jeep Cherokee in the 40ft container with our household stuff and all went well. We used PSS, although I am not recommending them to you!

Hi ya,

I know everyone is different and they have there own thoughts. My thoughts are look into shipping the car in more detail. Back in the UK i had a brand new car that i didn't want to sell and loose money so i looked into having it shipped over and i found the cost rather high and there are alot of taxes you have to pay and i believe you have to go through a series of checks and each check has to be paid for. Also your car will need to be scrubbed from top to bottom with no dirt, mud, grass etc on it. If it gets to the other end and they find mud or something on or in the car, it will be taken away to be cleaned which you have to pay for again. So after alot of do we, don't we, we decided not to. We looked into new cars here in oz and to buy new we thought was really good value for money! Buying second hand cars were not much less than a new car.

These are only my thoughts as i have read alot of people bring there cars.

Hannah

Guest bloke06

Hey, another site you can use is www.carsales.com.au . Also, if you are looking for a seven seater, it would be good if you have a look at Toyota Tarago, some other countries called in Toyota Previa. Its a seven seater and is one of the best selling cars in Australia as far as seven seater van/wagon is concern. Toytota has a good record in terms of durability here.

Archived