changing your driving licence

fluffy

Guest audabech

Hi there,

Do we still need to sit a test I unfortunately let my license expire, and thought I would have to re sit it. We had to in 1991 unsure if that has changed, only New Zealand could just exchange.

Audrey

Guest proud2beaussie

If you are on a temporary visa then as far as I am aware you can drive on it for as long as the licence is valid.

Overseas drivers - licences : VicRoads

From the website-

"

The need to change your overseas driver licence to a Victorian driver licence depends on whether your stay in Victoria is permanent or temporary.

If you are in Victoria on a temporary visa, you can drive on your overseas licence (provided it is a current, valid licence) for an indefinite period provided your overseas licence is in English (or you have an English translation), or you have an International Driving Permit.

If you are in Victoria on a permanent visa, you can drive on your overseas licence for only three months from the date you entered Victoria or from the time a permanent visa was issued to you. If you want to continue to drive in Victoria after that time you must apply for a Victorian driver licence.

New Zealand residents who hold a current licence are treated as interstate drivers

And as regards expired licences-

"If you hold a driver licence from one of the following countries you are not required to undertake any tests provided your overseas licence is current or not expired by more than five years. However, you still need to make an appointment to changeover your licence if you are from a recognised country

Archived