Please read and comment

Guest Mika

HI all:wink:,

If I move to WA, what nasties am I likley to come up against? eg spiders etc:eek:

I know I know Im a wus haha sorry I'll try and toughen up.

Thanks

Mika

Guest Guest26012
HI all:wink:,

If I move to WA, what nasties am I likley to come up against? eg spiders etc:eek:

I know I know Im a wus haha sorry I'll try and toughen up.

Thanks

Mika

Hi been here 1 year now only spiders we have seen are redbacks! Oh and a huntsman! Let my OH deal with them though! I know what to look for now, which is a good thing! Not seen any snakes yet apart from at the zoo!

Guest mtcosby

hi

there are snakes and spiders in western australia... when we went in sept last year we didnt see any snakes and only saw a couple of red backs (they very small spiders with a nasty bite), but we met friends who saw huntsman spider.... i would av defo freeked out if i saw that one.. hahahah.

I think you just need to be carefull.. like check shoes before putting on.. check patio furniture before sitting down thingslike that.... we going back on 26th feb 09... so hopefully we wont see that much....(i hope) hahahah

G'day mate, there are a few dangerous creatures around the Perth Metro area, such as the afore mentioned redback, the white tailed spider and the dugite (pr. doo-gite) is a member of the brown snake family, but rarely encountered

Brian Bush's Snakes Harmful & Harmless - Dugite

In fact, in 14 years living in WA, I never saw any. There is more chance of being stung by a bee than being bitten by a snake.

Cheers, Bobj.

cheers guys,

thanks for your replies. Ive heard about that white tailed spider :no:, isnt that the one which injects its venum which eats away at your tissue and leaves you with a big hole were the flesh used to be?...... or have I being watching reading too many horror stories? lol:biglaugh:

thanks again

Guest raywoog

Hi Mika Moved to to WA last August Live in the hills, get your house sprayed and you dont get many creepy scrawlies . We have the bush on our door step all we see are roos no snakes or anything. Really glad we moved out here love it . Shaz

There a few, redback probably being the only ones I would say are around and close enough to your house to be worthy of spraying.

There are also snakes (tigers, duguits and a load more) - Iyou would have to be living in the bush or close to bush / sand dunes to see them regularly. I would say not too worry and enjoy the wild life.

:arghh: SunSeekers thats a nasty trick hahaha but funny

Ok so the general rule of thumb is , there are a few which I should be aware of but not alot, manly redbacks. The further to the bush I go the more I will see of the little nasties but I can spray my house which will deter them. (kewl a force field against nasties):jiggy:.

Has anybody any experience with their dogs being bitten? I only ask as we have a big doppy Bullmastiff who loves to play with anything which moves. My missus is concerned what happens if he is bitten, what treatment is avialable or is it just dead dog? (not that this is a deciding factor if we relocate or not haha)

There a few, redback probably being the only ones I would say are around and close enough to your house to be worthy of spraying.

There are also snakes (tigers, duguits and a load more) - Iyou would have to be living in the bush or close to bush / sand dunes to see them regularly. I would say not too worry and enjoy the wild life.

Better not mention the pointy things that like kayaks

Mally

:err:Mally?? what pointy things? sharks?

I like sharks haha but I like to stay beneath the water, less risky

I like em but when you see em up close ,this guy was about 2 metres and you think about the 5 or 6m dudes out there one of them takes a fancy to yer and you aint got aprayer like being hit with aspeedboat with a chainsaw on the front

Mally

Guest sunseekers
I like em but when you see em up close ,this guy was about 2 metres and you think about the 5 or 6m dudes out there one of them takes a fancy to yer and you aint got aprayer like being hit with aspeedboat with a chainsaw on the front

Mally

Think those words will stay with me for life..........shudder

Think those words will stay with me for life..........shudder

Attacks are very rare but i read where a diver had a bit of a set to with a nosey booga and suffered extensive injuries to his hands punching the blighter , their skin is very abrasives and caused him bad injuries and he did not get anibble ,they grow up to 6m ,a 5 metre was spotted off Perth , and they can weigh up to 1500kg ( big fishies)

Mally

I will be staying away from your pointys then and all speed boats with chain saws strapped to the front of them for that matter.:shocked:

Guest Celtic.H.

Hi Guys,

I live about 12Km south of Perth city centre, main thins are redbacks and white tailed spiders, these do get in your house wven if you spray. Red backs can be easily spotted and you will get to know where they live, white tails are little gits and roam around looking for a meal, last year I woke with a huge ulcer on my neck which was tender to touch for a month at least, I was told by a gp it was probably a white tail that bit me in bed at night. You can get spray bombs which you let off in the house which help. Snakes, yes they are here, you can see tigers on the path around Bibra lake sunning themselves. Never around your house though. It does take a bit of getting use to when you have small children and takes time to relax and let them just be in your back yard.

Guest proud2beaussie

Snakes are very common where I live,I probably see two or three a day at this time of year,but if you leave them alone they don't cause much trouble,in fact they are usefull as they eat the rats and mice which get in my hay sometimes,redback spiders are a different thing,they don't serve much purpose at all but they are all gods creatures and very few people die from their bite these days.

White tails are nasty but nothing fatal and in Australia at these time of year its a good idea to always check your bedding before going to sleep in case there are any surprises lurking under the sheets !

There are hundreds of spiders, wolf spiders, huntsmen, white tails, redbacks and loads of others, we have some in the garden which leap at you, don't go near them though, thre is also mammoth moths, 6ft crickets and dead tall grass hoppers, along with prey mantis, cockroaches, snails, beetles, flys, hundreds of fly's, snakes, pelicans, crows, magpies, parrots, kangaroos. loads of stuff. Seen a few huntsmen, one was big enough to strangle me, it was in the bush up at toojay, not nice.

There are hundreds of spiders, wolf spiders, huntsmen, white tails, redbacks and loads of others, we have some in the garden which leap at you, don't go near them though, thre is also mammoth moths, 6ft crickets and dead tall grass hoppers, along with prey mantis, cockroaches, snails, beetles, flys, hundreds of fly's, snakes, pelicans, crows, magpies, parrots, kangaroos. loads of stuff. Seen a few huntsmen, one was big enough to strangle me, it was in the bush up at toojay, not nice.

Not seen many 6ft crickets apart from Matty Haydn and Brett lee ,go to Toodyay quite often

We have spent 5 weeks in Australia, 3 of them in WA and the only thing we saw the whole time was a snake at Rottnest Island. The snake was actually being attacked by a lizard (and the lizard was winning), near the beach so was quite amusing to watch, but we haven't a clue as to what type of snake it was. (I think there are only 2 types there and have heard they're not dangerous, but correct me if I'm wrong).

We checked for spiders under pillows and in shoes etc., for the first two weeks very, very thoroughly, then eased off a bit after that.

Off back to Perth in March, so I'll keep a look-out.

Tracey

We spent 5 weeks in Australia, 3 of them in WA and the only thing we saw the whole time was a snake at Rottnest Island. The snake was actually being attacked by a lizard (and the lizard was winning), near the beach so was quite amusing to watch, but we haven't a clue as to what type of snake it was. (I think there are only 2 types there and have heard they're not dangerous, but correct me if I'm wrong).

We checked for spiders under pillows and in shoes etc., for the first two weeks very, very thoroughly, then eased off a bit after that.

Off back to Perth in March, so I'll keep a look-out.

Tracey

Snake won last week bloke airlifted to Charlies after a nibble from either a tiger or a dugite, Redbacks seem to have taken a likin to us exteed about 10 in the last two weeks they are very possessive you get a whispy web nowt like conventional webs, you mit find little white balls these are there eggs , attack these and the spiders go into real defense

Mally

The owners of the house that we stayed at in Perth said that they had seen a redback in the shed a couple of times and if we wanted to get any footballs out of the shed for the kids to play with - just be aware.

We didn't even open the shed door!!! :eek:

Archived