Thinking of going back......

suzy+1

Been here a year now and am just beginning to think about going back to the UK.

I came alone with my 3 yr old daughter on a sponsored visa (nurse) so im working full time, and thought i would try it for a year or 2.

I dont feel homesick and i LOVE Oz-and Perth, i often read about people wanting to improve their 'quality of life' and whilst i agree that in many ways our lives are better here it has come at a cost in other areas of our lives and im just trying to weigh up where would be best for us.

We get out and do alot more than we ever did in the UK (a camping expert now!! lol) but i work long hours (just finished my 80 hour working fortnight), childcare is expensive, lack of family network/support for help (Im 26 and single and have been out in the evening ONCE since being here!) The main thing prompting my potential move at the moment is the thought of my daughter starting school in Sept this yr in the UK, she wouldnt start till nearly 2 yrs later here and if i moved back inbetween that time she would be behind at school. The thought of working slightly less hours, less childcare costs, my family to have a close relationship with my daughter, and possibly a day to myself once a week is very appealing.

I think after my time here i would be alot more motivated to get out and do things than i was before when i would sit at home moaning abot the rain 24/7.

And what with house prices being pretty low im wondering if this is an ideal time?

Anyone think i would be mad??

I think your reasons are pretty sound. Having reduced my hours last year to 0.8 I know what a difference that has made to me not having to work the 80 hour fortnight, I think that's one of the catches to the 457 particularly in your position where you don't have people to help out with childcare. You have to consider what's best for you and your daughter ... as lovely as your daughter probably is ... you need some adult company outside work too I would imagine and being able to ask people you know and trust to babysit is a big obstacle.

Guest Celtic.H.

Hi Suzy,

You are in exactly the same quandry as we are, in Perth, wife is a nurse and have a little 2 year old daughter. Yes it is great here but our daughter has grown so much since we have been here and the thought of not being able to share those moments with her grand parents and aunty is really eating at us at the moment. Luckily my wife has just got another post which means although she will workfull time she will work longer hours and therefore have more time off. We have said will give it a few more months and sit and think of what we should do. Now we are just experiencing homesickness and we want to wait until our minds are cleare until we make a decision. House prices have come down, but the problem we have been told is getting a mortgage if you haven't a big deposit which we have not. The banks are asking for a minimum of 25% generall unless big rates. No full mortgages anymore or 95% to value. We saw a fantastic 3 bed barn conversion in Devon where we are from for £150K but would mean a 38K deposit.

Feeling your Pain.

Celtic H

Guest lovediving
Been here a year now and am just beginning to think about going back to the UK.

I came alone with my 3 yr old daughter on a sponsored visa (nurse) so im working full time, and thought i would try it for a year or 2.

I dont feel homesick and i LOVE Oz-and Perth, i often read about people wanting to improve their 'quality of life' and whilst i agree that in many ways our lives are better here it has come at a cost in other areas of our lives and im just trying to weigh up where would be best for us.

We get out and do alot more than we ever did in the UK (a camping expert now!! lol) but i work long hours (just finished my 80 hour working fortnight), childcare is expensive, lack of family network/support for help (Im 26 and single and have been out in the evening ONCE since being here!) The main thing prompting my potential move at the moment is the thought of my daughter starting school in Sept this yr in the UK, she wouldnt start till nearly 2 yrs later here and if i moved back inbetween that time she would be behind at school. The thought of working slightly less hours, less childcare costs, my family to have a close relationship with my daughter, and possibly a day to myself once a week is very appealing.

I think after my time here i would be alot more motivated to get out and do things than i was before when i would sit at home moaning abot the rain 24/7.

And what with house prices being pretty low im wondering if this is an ideal time?

Anyone think i would be mad??

Think you were brave to give it a go in the first place so no I don't think you are mad, I think you have had an experience in life and now want to go home.

Follow your heart as life is too short.

Good luck

Guest guest22466

I can relate to your situation and I fully understand when your a single parent in another country it is not easy. I felt that the lack of love, help and support is the hard part. Australia is lovely and the people great , the weather is great but at the end of the day its the people who love , help and support you that matter most in your and your childs life. I know if I was allowed to return home to the Uk with my child I would appreciate people and the country more.

Guest ashmalog

you have to do what is right for you and your family. sorry but isn't the 80hr fortnight the same as a 40hr week? i don't know the oz rota system too well.

its not all rosy here either but at least you will get help towards childcare costs and have family to help you.

i agree with one poster - you are very brave to do it in the first place.

Guest sunseekers

Cant believe you did it alone with a child......You must be some strong person. Its pretty frightening with my Hubby and entire family following so cant imagine your circumstances..

God this sounds so old fashioned and needy but how do you think your life in Oz would be if you met that special someone ? Would you feel happier to stay ? The only reason i ask is your post sounded so lonely, that kind of lonely will of course be easier with your family around ( ie UK ) but it will never completely fill that void ( oo er ). Just food for thought x

Whatever decision you come to you should applaud yourself regardless. Sending you hugs....

Colette x

I think you are fantastically brave. I am here with my family and have the very same quandries as you. Child care hugely expensive, longer working hours as a nurse, less holiday, no sick pay but we do get out and about more as a family etc. Very good luck with whatever you decide. Everyone would support you either way.

Ali

Archived