Plug Adaptors

Guest Lou76

Hi everyone - on countdown, we fly 5 WEEKS TODAY!!! OMG!

Onto more serious matters. We are going to bring some multi socket extension cables and eventually get the plugs changed to Aussie ones, however in the short term I need some adaptor plugs. Have just been looking on ebay but am now confused as to whether I need 2 (flat) pins or 3 pin. Help?!

Cheers

Hels

Hi, from where though? I just want to sort as much as I can now whilst I know the shops etc. Can I get them at Perth airport??! Will need things like hairdryer to work on arrival you know!! So I need to bring at least 2 or 3 - but which type.

Don,t buy them when you get here, there $10 each a total waste of money, You need the flat two pin adaptor, I would bring at least 10 if you are bringing an iron, hairdryer, straightners, mobile phone, tv, wash machine etc..the list goes on, we brought english extension leads over and just fitted adaptor to these for 6 extra english power points, quick search of Amazon sees you can buy 10 for £30 inc delivery...

Guest rachelj

just buy aussie plug when you get here and put on multi socket extension thats what we did. been here 14 months now and still have some plugs to change so extensions still in use.

Guest snow white
Hi everyone - on countdown, we fly 5 WEEKS TODAY!!! OMG!

Onto more serious matters. We are going to bring some multi socket extension cables and eventually get the plugs changed to Aussie ones, however in the short term I need some adaptor plugs. Have just been looking on ebay but am now confused as to whether I need 2 (flat) pins or 3 pin. Help?!

Cheers

Hels

hi hels,

we just brought the multi adaptors went to bunnings when we arrived and bought aussie plugs then changed the uk plug at the end of every adaptor still using them now , plus you can buy the converters when you arrive no problem

lesley x

Guest James.S

Hi, i just brought a couple uk extension leads with x5 outlets on them, once here i changed the plug to an Oz one from Bunnings for all of about $2.50... it works fine and is most definately the cheapest way to do it... Also our experiance is that a lot of houses, especialy rentals have very few sockets, so you will end up having to use multi plug extension leads anyway..!

James..

Guest snow white

thats the bit i forgot to add and was just thinking at the end of the day there are hardly any sockets in oz houses so you will find you have loads of extensions all over the place

lesley x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Midlanders

Hi

If your interested I notice in Adsa a few weeks ago they are selling adaptors for europe and also for the usa/oz for an amazing price of £2.00 each

Stocked up on a few to get us going when we arrive as we will also have enough to sort out without thinking about plugs ..........lol

Guest wingywangwoo

i purchased a box ful,of oz plugs, adaptors and extensions from ebay for the measly sum of a tenner, have also purchased 6 uk/oz adaptors for £4.00 the lot again from ebay, what a wondeful place it is

Guest zoensim

don't buy them from morrisons..i bought about 15 before we came cos they were so cheap. got here and they don't fit...it says that they are for australia and new zealand........had to go and buy a load here and they were about $12 each....

Guest Glasgow

seems to me that to be worried about adaptors is a bit bloody trivial

be interesting to see how you sort out other problems

Guest zoensim
seems to me that to be worried about adaptors is a bit bloody trivial

be interesting to see how you sort out other problems

who's ' worried?'

Guest smc01

Bit off topic but has anyone noticed that there's always plug sockets in Aus bathrooms? Brilliant when you want to blowdry your hair, use the straightener in there or listen to the radio in the bath!!

Don,t buy them when you get here, there $10 each a total waste of money, You need the flat two pin adaptor, I would bring at least 10 if you are bringing an iron, hairdryer, straightners, mobile phone, tv, wash machine etc..the list goes on, we brought english extension leads over and just fitted adaptor to these for 6 extra english power points, quick search of Amazon sees you can buy 10 for £30 inc delivery...

Sorry, but the advice to buy a two pin adaptor is potentially dangerous. The third pin is the earth, a very important safety feature.

Some appliances are "double insulated" and don't require an earth--but these will just ignore the third pin if it's there.

However, not connecting the earth on an appliance that uses it is just plain dangerous and can lead to a serious mains-level electric shock. Always use 3 pin adaptors unless there is a specific reason not to...and you have the knowledge/skills to make such a decision.

Bob

Guest snow white

thanks for that useful advice just thought you could wire up any 2 pin aussie plug

lesley x

One thing I wish I has done, thought about was instead of changing 100 plugs when bringing uk appliances is to bring a uk plug board with as many sockets as needed. That wany you change the one plug and can still use the uk plugs because they fit the uk plug board. Leason Learnt.

Great for computer and tv equipment that have many plugs

Guest snow white

hi tim,

thats what we did brought the ones that have all separate off on switches they have been a god send as takes hubbie ages to do any diy lol

lesley x

Yeah, another vote for bringing a few UK extension leads with multiway sockets on the end. Changing to Australian plugs is the best way in the medium term but there's always a few things (phone chargers and the like) which can't be swapped because the plug is moulded into the mains adaptor transformer.

Even as I type this, my electric drill battery is charging, plugged into one of the UK multis I brought!

Bob

Guest snow white

yes especially uk ghd straighteners there a must have and you cant change the plug on them

lesley x

Archived