Any bricklaying jobs back home

PIPMOSS

was just wondering what work is like back home there is not alot around brisbane at the minute and anyone coming here on a small budget should think before they come. I have only done 5 days since xmas and there are just no jobs around and the ones in the paper are getting 30 phone calls so you dont stand a chance . Anyway enough going on what is work like in the uk at the minute. Thanks

Hi Guys, I think brickie work over here is pretty tight especially site work. I live in mid Bucks and a lot of the big sites seem to be just ticking along with maybe one gang. I work on much smaller jobs ie extensions and refurbs and so far so good this year, although I cant speak for the rest of the country.

I really do think though that things will gradually pick up this year and hopefully all the bigger sites will start taking on more trowels, but good luck to you.:smile:

Guest PaynetoOZ

My husband is a bricklayer and things are pretty tight in the north west, he works for a bricklaying contract firm that did have 250 men but went down to just 9 over the past few months. luckily he has managed to stay in work but they have slashed prices and bricklayers are earning alot less now (in north west anyway) and theres not much they can do about it as the foreman have literally hundreds of bricklayers ringing them every week looking for work, so they're easily replaceable if they dont like the money! we know brickies that have been out of work since before xmas and even resorted to labouring just to earn a day rate!

we've just signed with an agent to apply for Brisbane, i was reading about the growth corridor and all the planned homes over the next 20 years, so fingers crossed everything picks up over the next 12-18 months before we arrive!!! how have you found life in Brisbane?:spinny:

Archived