Before returning to the UK - try NZ

Guest shouganai

Guest shouganai

If you are not happy in Australia, don't despair, there is always a solution. I read below about a UK couple who broke up after they arrived in Australia. He wanted to stay, her daughter and her could not. I think you have to anticipate such contingencies, eg. The possibility that you might not like it, can't find a job. I think its better if you rent a furnished place before you send out all your stuff in a shipping container. Australia has a mild climate, so you don't need a lot. At least then you have the flexibility to get a job, move, get settled before you send over the kitchen sink.

Before returning to the UK, I would remember the fact that you left the UK for a reason. I suggest trying NZ before you go back.

If you are looking for a place to live overseas is the place to live from an investment point of view. The NZD has absolutely collapsed, so if there is money/savings to be moved then NZ is the place to move. The NZD is just over 50c to the USD, and that's down from 80c.

Better still houses are still really cheap in parts. For instance we paid just $NZ78,000 for a lovely house in Wanganui with 760m2, 2br house, lovely Victorian house too with large rooms and high ceilings, timber panel roof. The people are very friendly. If you need to go back to the UK then you will pay no capital gains tax on the property, no stamp duty.

Here are some websites to help you make the move:

www.anz.co.nz - to set up a bank account

www.finance.yahoo.com.nz - to check out the exchange rate

www.autobase.co.nz - to buy a car

http://foreclosured.blogspot.com - to buy a property

www.trademe.co.nz - to buy anything else

Most Western property markets are overpriced, as parts of NZ are, but aside from the exchange rate advantage, there are still alot of cheap properties in NZ, and some of them are close to major towns like Wanganui and Dunedin. They are two of my favourites, but also Kaikoura and Timaru.

If you are not happy in Australia, don't despair, there is always a solution. I read below about a UK couple who broke up after they arrived in Australia. He wanted to stay, her daughter and her could not. I think you have to anticipate such contingencies, eg. The possibility that you might not like it, can't find a job. I think its better if you rent a furnished place before you send out all your stuff in a shipping container. Australia has a mild climate, so you don't need a lot. At least then you have the flexibility to get a job, move, get settled before you send over the kitchen sink.

Before returning to the UK, I would remember the fact that you left the UK for a reason. I suggest trying NZ before you go back.

If you are looking for a place to live overseas is the place to live from an investment point of view. The NZD has absolutely collapsed, so if there is money/savings to be moved then NZ is the place to move. The NZD is just over 50c to the USD, and that's down from 80c.

Better still houses are still really cheap in parts. For instance we paid just $NZ78,000 for a lovely house in Wanganui with 760m2, 2br house, lovely Victorian house too with large rooms and high ceilings, timber panel roof. The people are very friendly. If you need to go back to the UK then you will pay no capital gains tax on the property, no stamp duty.

Here are some websites to help you make the move:

www.anz.co.nz - to set up a bank account

www.finance.yahoo.com.nz - to check out the exchange rate

www.autobase.co.nz - to buy a car

http://foreclosured.blogspot.com - to buy a property

www.trademe.co.nz - to buy anything else

Most Western property markets are overpriced, as parts of NZ are, but aside from the exchange rate advantage, there are still alot of cheap properties in NZ, and some of them are close to major towns like Wanganui and Dunedin. They are two of my favourites, but also Kaikoura and Timaru.

yes but isnt the work situation over in nz worse than oz? also.....our pr visa is for oz, so i wouldnt want to go through all the hassle of reapplying for nz, btw$nz78.000,how much is that in £ roughly,thx

yes but isnt the work situation over in nz worse than oz? also.....our pr visa is for oz, so i wouldnt want to go through all the hassle of reapplying for nz, btw$nz78.000,how much is that in £ roughly,thx

Also because of the work situation here many kiwis are going back as they cannot claim benefits, so you would have to compete with them

Guest shouganai

not sure about the pound conversion, but its just $A68,000 or USD40,000. That is true, it is harder to find work in NZ, and the wages are lower, but if you are an executive or have assets abroad, you can live well in NZ. Also very attractive if you are earning foreign income in USD or pound.

The costs of re-applying in NZ are far cheaper in NZ than Australia. I remember paying $1400 in Australia for my Japanese ex-wife. This time its only around $280, but it depends on your visa category. Also if you are a resident of Australia, I think there is automatic entry and work permit in NZ. But you'd need to check. Basically NZ is crying out for a lot of skills because its skilled people are being drawn overseas by higher wages. I guess if money is more important than Australia is the better place to be. Its not for everyone. But the cheap rural property will appeal to people who can work online, who have skills NZ needs (say tradesman) or writers, programmers. Flights to Australia are also down with competition from Emirates Airlines. The 2 countries are becoming increasingly integrated.

not sure about the pound conversion, but its just $A68,000 or USD40,000. That is true, it is harder to find work in NZ, and the wages are lower, but if you are an executive or have assets abroad, you can live well in NZ. Also very attractive if you are earning foreign income in USD or pound.

The costs of re-applying in NZ are far cheaper in NZ than Australia. I remember paying $1400 in Australia for my Japanese ex-wife. This time its only around $280, but it depends on your visa category. Also if you are a resident of Australia, I think there is automatic entry and work permit in NZ. But you'd need to check. Basically NZ is crying out for a lot of skills because its skilled people are being drawn overseas by higher wages. I guess if money is more important than Australia is the better place to be. Its not for everyone. But the cheap rural property will appeal to people who can work online, who have skills NZ needs (say tradesman) or writers, programmers. Flights to Australia are also down with competition from Emirates Airlines. The 2 countries are becoming increasingly integrated.

yes,well thats the problem( for us anyway ),we are uk residents who have permanent residence visa for oz,we have'nt even moved there yet tbh,so we are not oz citizens yet,im a bricklayer,sadly not an executive!" as far as i know" we would have to go through the whole process again, by which time i will be older than the elgin marbles

Guest shouganai
yes,well thats the problem( for us anyway ),we are uk residents who have permanent residence visa for oz,we have'nt even moved there yet tbh,so we are not oz citizens yet,im a bricklayer,sadly not an executive!" as far as i know" we would have to go through the whole process again, by which time i will be older than the elgin marbles

Well tradespeople also tend to make good money, as I can attest to that fact, having to pay the sums they want. Tradespeople are also in demand here...mind you, there are not many brick houses in NZ I suspect because of the earthquakes here...or maybe its because I live in a rural town 40,000 people 2hrs from Wellington. Skilled emigrants just $280 for work permit, $NZ750 ($A600) for residence.

Anyway its an option for people. For 'brickies' I think Australia is the place.

Guest proud2beaussie

New Zealand would not be my choice as a destination at the moment,the economy of New Zealand is in bad shape,the unemployment rate for the last quarter was 4.6% which is high for a small country,retail sales are doing very badly,the NZ dollar is basically through the floor.and crime is on the increase.

Not a place to be considering in my mind unless you want somewhere to retire and don't need to work,and there are better places to do that too,like Tasmania.

Guest shouganai
New Zealand would not be my choice as a destination at the moment,the economy of New Zealand is in bad shape,the unemployment rate for the last quarter was 4.6% which is high for a small country,retail sales are doing very badly,the NZ dollar is basically through the floor.and crime is on the increase.

Not a place to be considering in my mind unless you want somewhere to retire and don't need to work,and there are better places to do that too,like Tasmania.

Partly agree with you. Certainly you don't want to go to NZ if you can't get work, and that depends on your personal context. No problem for tradespersons, the wages are lower. The employment prospects in Australia are better, but bad everywhere. Retail is actually holding up ok in NZ, but will collapse soon. The unemployment rate is not so bad at 4.6%, and it need not be indicative of your chances in a welfare state like NZ...after a decade of Nanny statist prime minister.

The fact that the NZD is going through the floor is a positive for migrants with assets to move. It means of they want to sell out, and go to Australia or elsewhere in 4-5 years, they will make a 50-60% profit, and there is no transfer tax or capital gains tax on property in NZ. Yeh, crime is higher than Australia, but still very low. Tasmania offers a similar appeal, almost as cheap to buy a house, though I think fewer job opportunities. I guess it offers the best of both worlds. :) We assessed TAS vs NZ, and decided we preferred the NZ property, lifestyle and a bigger island to a small one.

Archived