Nurse On 457 Visa

UKtoOZ

The hospital I am interested in offer sponsorship on a 457 visa for a year initially. They also say that the contract is almost always extended with a view of PR.

My worry is that after 1 year they will not renew my contract and I will have 28 days to find a new employer. I will be moving with 2 kids so want a bit of security.

I was thinking of applying for a 175 before I leave, as I have enough points. Is this an option? Also would I have to do 2 lots of medical?

Hi Pam

I am a nurse going to Brisbane on 457, nurses are so in demand out there that even if your current hospital couldnt renew sponsorship you will quickly get another, but from what i can gather you should not have any problem keeping your sponsorship. where abouts are you headed.

Lynne

Guest chris_mac
The hospital I am interested in offer sponsorship on a 457 visa for a year initially. They also say that the contract is almost always extended with a view of PR.

My worry is that after 1 year they will not renew my contract and I will have 28 days to find a new employer. I will be moving with 2 kids so want a bit of security.

I was thinking of applying for a 175 before I leave, as I have enough points. Is this an option? Also would I have to do 2 lots of medical?

Hi Pam

There are a number of pathways to PR from a 457 visa.

You can be sponsored by your company for an ENS visa. This can happen straight away if you have your skills assessed or you earn more than AU$165,000 p/a.

Alternately after you have been in Australia for 2 years on a 457 and working for your PR sponsor for one you can apply for PR (That is if they renew your initial contract for another 12 months)

If you are in a regional area then you can be sponsored by your company for a RSMS visa. This can happen straight away as long as you meet the skill level/work experience requirements.

Another option is to have your skills assessed and lodge a GSM visa application (SC175/176) whilst onshore on your 457. As soon as you are granted your 457 you can submit your 175. You would need to go offshore at time of grant if you chose this route.

As a nurse i wouldnt really worry about staying in Oz...

In a nut shell but these are some of the options.. Hoped they helped.

All the visa's mentioned are available to view at:

Department of Immigration & Citizenship in the search option.

Best wishes

Chris

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

TRA Retuned Oct (Skill path D removed)

Re-applied Vetassess 01.01.08

Vetassess Paper Assess Passed 10.04.08

House up for sale 28.03.08 sold 14.04.08 (3 weeks, crikey)

Vetassess Practical 15.07.08

Practical Passed 11.08.08

176 Visa Application submitted 11.09.08

DIAC Acknowledgement 24.09.08

Sent Police checks 27.08.08 - Recieved 06.09.08

Medicals done 12.01.09

Hi Pam

You sure can apply for the 175. You may not need separate medicals it would depend on how long the 175 takes to process. Being a Nurse form the UK it would hopefully be less than 12 months. As Chris and Lynne said you are very much on demand so you shouldn't have an issue but as you mentioned you are bringing the kids so it is important to have some security/stability.

All the best

Guest itskaren

I would urge anyone to get the 175 and NOT the 457. I was on the 457 when we arrived and it was hell!!

I hated my employer but just felt trapped I hated every second with them. They were lovely to start with but as soon as we arrived I was abused and used. I had to wait a year to get the 175 luckliy by husband got the 457 whilst we were in Australia so I only had to work for this company for 6 months. It made our first 6 months in Australia awful. I managed to get the 175. Do not make the same mistake! Good luck.

Guest itskaren

Sorry forgot to say you can carry your medical on to the next visa so you do not need to do another one iif it is 12 months and under.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the replies. It will be Melbourne we will be heading to.

"I hated my employer but just felt trapped I hated every second with them. They were lovely to start with but as soon as we arrived I was abused and used. I had to wait a year to get the 175 luckliy by husband got the 457 whilst we were in Australia so I only had to work for this company for 6 months. It made our first 6 months in Australia awful. I managed to get the 175. Do not make the same mistake! Good luck. "

Karen can you explain more about this and how you were used. If you dont wont to post on the open forum can you PM me?

Thanks

Archived