Can We Buy??

Paulthebuilder

Hi everyone, we have our application going through for a State Sponsored Skills visa in WA. Aiming to be over around October/November. Going over as a roofer but own a company as general builders in UK so hopefully can find some work in OZ without having to beg!!

We are expecting to go into a holiday let for the short term when we arrive while we are looking for something permanent but will also look for short term rental if available while we are driving up and down the coast on our home hunt.

We have just been told that we can only buy a new property/land and new build until we have been granted an Oz passport. I haven't been able to find anything to clarify so was hoping that someone could help us please. It will obviously make a big difference to our strategy.Thanks.:unsure:

Nope, you can buy straight away - it used to be that unless you were a permanent resident you could only buy land or a new build without approval but even that changed as of this month so those of us on 457's (temporary visa) can buy whatever we like (can afford!)

Me, I'm renting anyway, prices are still coming down and I want to be sure which is the right suburb for us. It's hard after 20 years of home ownership tho!

Jules

Nope, you can buy straight away - it used to be that unless you were a permanent resident you could only buy land or a new build without approval but even that changed as of this month so those of us on 457's (temporary visa) can buy whatever we like (can afford!)

Me, I'm renting anyway, prices are still coming down and I want to be sure which is the right suburb for us. It's hard after 20 years of home ownership tho!

Jules

You still need FIRB on a 457 and a big wedge to put down, also you need to have evidence of work history to get a mortgage (aussie WH).

Mally

You still need FIRB on a 457 and a big wedge to put down, also you need to have evidence of work history to get a mortgage (aussie WH).

Mally

OH downloaded a load of stuff regarding changes due this month & the FIRB is to go so long as the property is for residential not investment purposes. No first time buyer grant tho :(

As for Aussie work history Westpac are positively hassling us to take out a mortgage - phoning up with pretence of asking how we are, any problems manging our accounts and are we ready to buy a house yet!

Not sure if there's a problem if you don't have 20% deposit - really not looked into it as I don't want to buy (OH I think does) but again Westpac were keen to show us how much we could borrow even without selling in the UK.

But who knows unless we actually tried!

Jules

OH downloaded a load of stuff regarding changes due this month & the FIRB is to go so long as the property is for residential not investment purposes. No first time buyer grant tho :(

As for Aussie work history Westpac are positively hassling us to take out a mortgage - phoning up with pretence of asking how we are, any problems manging our accounts and are we ready to buy a house yet!

Not sure if there's a problem if you don't have 20% deposit - really not looked into it as I don't want to buy (OH I think does) but again Westpac were keen to show us how much we could borrow even without selling in the UK.

But who knows unless we actually tried!

Jules

The CBA are hasslin us or have been , we aint got a wedge so the govt keystart mort is the option we opted its a frecklin pain as the red tape arrrgh . Prob mite have got one with the banks but theres a thing like the old MLI in the uk where you have to pay a mortgage lending insurance, the one where it is not for you but the bank. Here with our mortgage it would have meant another $16000 , so going for the keystart thing and at 50 I think I have deffo lost it

Mally

Guest Letasha

Jules

Hi Jules

am I understanding correctly that you only get the 1st time buyer grant if you buy a new property or is this subject to visa type? Cheers

Hi Jules

am I understanding correctly that you only get the 1st time buyer grant if you buy a new property or is this subject to visa type? Cheers

There will be people on here more expert than I in this but I think in Perth you get up to $21,000 if you're a first time buyer buying either land or a new house - $14 000 if you're buying an older house but this is only up until the end of June (supposedly) and you have to be a permanent resident.

You are also exempt from stamp duty on properties up to $500K

HTH

Jules

The CBA are hasslin us or have been , we aint got a wedge so the govt keystart mort is the option we opted its a frecklin pain as the red tape arrrgh . Prob mite have got one with the banks but theres a thing like the old MLI in the uk where you have to pay a mortgage lending insurance, the one where it is not for you but the bank. Here with our mortgage it would have meant another $16000 , so going for the keystart thing and at 50 I think I have deffo lost it

Mally

Yeah, it was the MLI I was wondering about - I did read a post on here about someone wondering if you could get it on a 457.

I don't want to buy until we have PR & have sold in the UK - though if prices start shooting up I might change my mind!

Good luck with it, I'm signing off PIO now

Jules

Archived