School - when do they start

Kabroom

Hi Folks,

Just a quick question and I would really appreciate some advice. My children are not of school age yet but my daughter is 5 in Sept 2008 (so she will be one of the oldest in her school year in the UK). If we leave the Uk and come to Oz in Oct 2008 would she start school in January 2009 or will she have to wait unit January 2010?

Wendy

Guest nev_n_angie

It depends whereyou are going??

Which state are you hoping to go to?? I have been gien a list of all of the Stateswith School Terms and different details - I do know that they are changing it all though so that they all operate unde rthe same guidlines

Angie

Hiya if she is is 5 in 2008 im sure she would start prep in the new school year which would be jan 2009,they are and have done a few changes with entry ages and its confusing to undersatand but im sure this is what would happen.

Cal x

Guest lynneand mark

Hi, having checked with a teacher from Brisbane that I know, the new prep year is like Reception here, ie you have to attend, but not as formal. So full time nursery style education I hope. My son will be in the same year as he turned 4 last week.

Guest tahe49

Sorry to butt in :) my daughter will be 4 next year (june 2008) and will be due to start school the following september. If we moved to Oz just after her birthday - am I right in thinking she wouldn't start until January 2009?

Guest lynneand mark

Yes thats right and she would be the youngest in the year group as their new cut off date is 30th June (like ours is 31st Aug). She would be entitled to part time kindy from jan 2008 for a year I think and I think that is funded too but not 100% sure. But different states are slightly different so best to check on the education website for wherever you are going.

Guest tahe49

I guess that is not too bad because bless her, if we stay in the UK she would have only just turned 4 and that does seem so young. Having said all that she is a feisty little thing so I am sure she would have no problems. At least starting in January gives her a few more months. I didn't understand about kindy? Will the school not be full time then - or do you mean that we could defer for a year?

Guest lynneand mark

School ie the prep year will be full time but kindy is part time. There are also childcare centres that offer full time care to preschoool children - for a price! However you can get help towards the cost as it is means tested.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest gajackdeb1@bigpond.com

hai all my son is in prep he was 5 the end of aug last they said that cos he had been out of mainstream school (was in receotion in uk)they would put him in prep which after talking with hubby we agreed ive got to say we think hes come on far better than he was in the uk.He was the youngest in reception they just didnt seem bothered his teacher here is fab when jack started nursery he had just turned 3 aug 24th)they start far to early over there enough winging good luck to you

Archived