RAF to RAAF anyone else doing it??

mornachew

Hi all

I have been in contact with one other on here. I was just wondering how many others are transferingto the RAAF

I have noticed another thread for all the fishheads (Royal Navy) so I ment no disrespect to the senior service!! :) - - Its just good to see everyone sharing there experiences for a better life over in OZ!!

I have just started the process. I have PVR'd (given my notice) and my date is May 2010.

My application for the RAAF has been sent and recieved over there.

My wait is on!!

Good luck All!!

Guest heligan2005

it's something my daughter is going to be looking into. she's in the army and at the mo hasn't made her mind up wether or not she wants to leave and come with us and join the aussies. it's a bit of a wrench for her coz she loves her job and believes she is in the best army in the world, so who knows. iwe would like to have both our children with us, i say children but they are 24 and 22 so will no doubt make their own minds up. good luck. linds x

it's something my daughter is going to be looking into. she's in the army and at the mo hasn't made her mind up wether or not she wants to leave and come with us and join the aussies. it's a bit of a wrench for her coz she loves her job and believes she is in the best army in the world, so who knows. iwe would like to have both our children with us, i say children but they are 24 and 22 so will no doubt make their own minds up. good luck. linds x

Good luck to her and i'm sure you will hold no grudges ( if you know what i mean) She is a big girl now and I would agree she is in the best army in the world!!

If you go over then maybe in a couple of years when she has been over and she can see your lifestyle - she will change her mind!!

Good luck to you too!!

My sister and brother-in-law are contemplating it. He is in the RAF. How easy is it to transfer? We are emigrating so they would already have us as family there. Do you know what areas they have bases? Must have been hard to hand in your notice.

Good luck with it all

My sister and brother-in-law are contemplating it. He is in the RAF. How easy is it to transfer? We are emigrating so they would already have us as family there. Do you know what areas they have bases? Must have been hard to hand in your notice.

Good luck with it all

Hiya have a look here

Really easy Overseas Applicants | Defence Jobs

or here for bases

RAAF Bases: Royal Australian Air Force

cheers

Guest alan_blue

Hi mate, what trade are you?

Im a Cpl Rigger and have gone through the process and at the final stage. I am due to go in June and cant wait. The process is lengthy but is quite straight forward, just be patient.

Speak soon

al

Guest guest24485

Hi Mornachew, I have just received my posting to the RAAF. I am due to fly out with my family on the 2nd April to Darwin. It's not too bad a process. All in it has taken me about 1 year. I initially made contact with the Lateral Recruitment in Feb 2008 and had medicals in Dec 2008. Visa turned up on 13th January 2009 and we are due to enlist on the 2nd April before flying to Singapore. The Lateral Recruitment satff are very helpful and friendly and once you have received your visa then the staff in London are good too. We have the removals men in to pack on 9th March, they do it all so no hassle for me. They give you a 40ft shipping container to jam all your stuff in. I have been chucking loads though. Also, if you have anything newer than 12 months they like to see a receipt. Good luck with the process and if you have any questions then just ask. I think I can remember most of it. What trade are you? and do you have a base/location in mind?

Steve:smile:

Hi all!

I am a leckie!! Ok Avionics (long live the D** f***ers!) :)

I would like RAAF Edinburgh by Adelaide.

Cheers I will have loads of questions soon.

One quick one - what did you do for resettlement?

Do the RAAF have a resettlement process?

Does it really take 6-8 weeks after they receive your initial paperwork?

How long do you expect to be an LAC for? Have they said anything about this to you? what do we have to do to get made back up?? like a multiskilling package??

Do any of you know where you are going after Wagga?

Ok a couple of questions then!!

Cheers all!

Guest guest24485

Hi There Mornachew, I have found the dates to give you a better idea of our process. Our medical was done on the 28th November 2008 and posted to Sydney 12 days later. We received confirmation via email. Once the medicals were done we posted our forms to Canberra. They sent us an email confirming they had them. Our visa was granted 6th January 2009 via email. I then sent our passports to the High Commision in London along with the email to get our passports validated (Takes about 5 days). I have heard the process is changing but I don't know if that is affecting the ADF applicants. I have been temporarily demoted from SAC(T) to LAC 1 but once I have done a ground training course I am upto LAC 2. Hopefully won't be too long. As for Wagga Wagga, I miss that and go straight to a operational unit. I chose Darwin because if we went to Adelaide the wife couldn't drive as she had not had her licence for 5 years. As for resettlement I chose to do a first aid course, for personal use as I have a young, careless daughter. The rest of the time I used as 'gardening leave' to get everything ready for the move. Hope all goes well for your process and if we can help in anyway with info then just ask.

Steve

Cheers Mate!!

Hi There Mornachew, I have found the dates to give you a better idea of our process. Our medical was done on the 28th November 2008 and posted to Sydney 12 days later. We received confirmation via email. Once the medicals were done we posted our forms to Canberra. They sent us an email confirming they had them. Our visa was granted 6th January 2009 via email. I then sent our passports to the High Commision in London along with the email to get our passports validated (Takes about 5 days). I have heard the process is changing but I don't know if that is affecting the ADF applicants. I have been temporarily demoted from SAC(T) to LAC 1 but once I have done a ground training course I am upto LAC 2. Hopefully won't be too long. As for Wagga Wagga, I miss that and go straight to a operational unit. I chose Darwin because if we went to Adelaide the wife couldn't drive as she had not had her licence for 5 years. As for resettlement I chose to do a first aid course, for personal use as I have a young, careless daughter. The rest of the time I used as 'gardening leave' to get everything ready for the move. Hope all goes well for your process and if we can help in anyway with info then just ask.

Steve

Guest pauline powell

Steve

Hi

Just read on your reply that your wife has not been driving for 5 years does this mean that she would have to sit another driving test? We are due out to OZ this summer and my daughter has only been driving for 2 years?

thanks

Guest pauline powell

Hi

My husband and I are also going out to the RAAF and can confirm that it takes approximately one year from the begining of the process. We are at last stage now just waiting on our visa being granted and dates to fly out!!!

My husband is a policeman (yes I hear you all groaning!!!), he has served 22 years in the RAF, we are also posted to RAAF Edinburgh in Adelaide.

Any tips and hints of things we should take out with us would be handy, have been told to get a credit reference check done and take with us as well as proof of no claims for car and house insurance.

Hope to hear from others.

Guest lsaywell21@hotmail.co.uk

Hi Pauline, It's Madmunky (steve) on the wifes account. Driving is dependant on which state you are planning to go. If you are in the latter stages of the proccess then you should have received a list of car dealers, shops etc from Tanya at the Lateral Recruitment Cell. On that list is a bunch of internet links that if you log onto will give info to that particular states driving information. If I remember then Southern Australia (Adelaide) requires you to have held a full licence for 5 years before you can exchange it to an Australian one. However, you can drive on a U.K licence for 3 months. It's worth checking out just to save you getting somewhere and not being able to drive. We chose Darwin, Northern territory as you can drive and exchange your licence for an Aussie one as long as you have a full licence. Hope this helps you. As for things to take, Lots of people on here reccomend taking 4 or 5 plug extension leads. it's easier to change 1 plug on the extension than 5 plugs on tellies, videos etc.

Steve

Guest starr family

So no basic training m8, not heard of that. Just hope you know there's very little AT opportunities and very few station clubs. The RAAF is sadly more anal than you'd expect, just a good job the people make up for it.

So no basic training m8, not heard of that. Just hope you know there's very little AT opportunities and very few station clubs. The RAAF is sadly more anal than you'd expect, just a good job the people make up for it.

What do you mean mate??

And how do you know??

Guest guest24485

Hi all, on the subject of housing the Australian DHA are so much better than the DHE we got here. As we were already in quarters we didn't have to sell but if you are planning to move into quarters in OZ then you will find it a very easy process. Once you have filled out your application for relocation form ( housing form), you will be sent a email with some info. Once they have decided who will deal with your case they will set up an account on their website to allow you to view your home. They put all the choices that are available to you on there and you just look and choose. Your housing allowance, if you like, depends on number of children, rank etc. If you find one you like they recommend you reserve it, you can change your mind once you've seen it. They will also show you all other available properties aswell. All in all they were very helpful and being able to view the property first and also the area means you can do abit of research too.:chatterbox:

Guest starr family

Spent 5 months with them, and had enough time to see how rigid they play the rules. I would definately say we interpret our orders to make life as easy as possible. Met a few officers who had crossed over who felt hughly restricted. Would second the above coments on housing. Health and Safety booted all the livin in personnel and married quarters off base a while ago, so even singlees get rental allowance.

Spent 5 months with them, and had enough time to see how rigid they play the rules. I would definately say we interpret our orders to make life as easy as possible. Met a few officers who had crossed over who felt hughly restricted. Would second the above coments on housing. Health and Safety booted all the livin in personnel and married quarters off base a while ago, so even singlees get rental allowance.

Ah Longlook!!

To be honest mate its a stepping stone, do it for three years then get out!! Or at least try it all!

Just didnt want to get to 60 and think should of tried that!! - I know thats what Longlook is all about but its not long enough to get settled with the whole family out there!

Cheers

Guest akjamnelson

Hi all

My husband is RAFP Sgt and we have count down to 22, 3 yrs in March. I know its early days but we are looking to move to OZ. He has had lots of dets in past 3 yrs and I really dont want to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. Does any1 have any experience on the RAAF committments to DEts and should I expect a similar lifestyle of home alone with 3 kids?

Guest akjamnelson

My husband is RAFP SIB at Cranwell. I myself dont get recognition...lol wondering if I will get a medal for this last det though....7 months....phew surely unheard of in RAFP...be lucky if I get his mail dropped off let alone a medal...nevermind count down now only 40 sleeps left. Any info on transfering to RAAF for me? Does he have to be out to apply or can it be done as part of resettlement. look forward to your reply

Karen

My husband is RAFP SIB at Cranwell. I myself dont get recognition...lol wondering if I will get a medal for this last det though....7 months....phew surely unheard of in RAFP...be lucky if I get his mail dropped off let alone a medal...nevermind count down now only 40 sleeps left. Any info on transfering to RAAF for me? Does he have to be out to apply or can it be done as part of resettlement. look forward to your reply

Karen

Hi Karen

As far as I know all he needs is his out date. He can apply for the RAAF anytime if they need RAFP!!

Have a look on the website.

Guest guest24485

Hey up Alan_blue, I sent you a pm earlier. I am an MT Tech. Or spanner monkey if you like as we are often called. Joining as a GSE Fitter so should be fun. HAHA.

Archived