coming to sydney... bit mad???

Guest TiDyBoY

Guest TiDyBoY

hello all i'm new here and have just got my yrs working holiday visa i'm a 28 yr old bricky who is just travelling alone, i have never been to oz and i know noone there just always dreamed of doing it so i am..

Am i mad??? is there some tips on what to do when i arrive how easy it is ti get a job i don't want to be sleeping on the streets... any advice is welcome thanks...

Guest idmahon

Hi Tidyboy, im doing the exact same thing!!!!! When you getting to Sydney? I arrive 3/3 and pretty much in the same boat as yourself!

Keep in touch and speak soon.

Ian

Guest TiDyBoY

hi i suppose i will find a hostel to stay in to try and find work i think this seems the best thing to do..?

i keep hearing about ditterent certificates you have to have to work in oz what are these about??

Guest idmahon

Hey, Im pretty much going to do anything to be fair! Im using this a career break as ive had enough of groundhog day to be honest. You? Any plans once you get over there i.e travelling or just working?

Hey!

You're not mad at all, you will have a great time! I'm in the same boat too, coming out in March to look for work / place to live in Sydney. Bring it on!

Hi, I leave the UK on 17th march going to Brisbane first to see family and then will get to Sydney first week in April. I've also taken a year out as I hate my job and bored of living in London. Can't wait to get away in the sun and start a new life!

Guest idmahon

I feel a lot happier now ive met other people in the same boat! Just sold my car today, so i wont be too much under pressure to find work straight away. We'll have to all definatley meet up once out there! Cant wait.....let the good times roll!

Hey TidyBoy.

You are DEFINITELY not mad! I don't know if you've been to Sydney before, but trust me - as soon as you get off the plane and see that city, any doubts will be forgotten.

I'm doing exactly the same thing. I'm 29 and from the north west of England. I decided three months ago to jack the job I was unhappy with, get my Working Visa and go to Oz. Having been to Sydney seven years ago (briefly), I knew I wanted to go back there someday. Over the past few weeks I've woried so much about EVERYTHING. But that's forgotten - I fly out next Tuesday (17th) from Heathrow and I know it's going to be great. And if now - hey, you got a return ticket, right?!

If you need any help with anything or advice, I'm not THAT much use, but I may be able to help. Contact me via here or email stulatics@hotmail.com and I'll do my best.

Take care and trust me - it'll work out!

Stuart.

I came to sydney in oct 08 with no job, house and had never been here before. Within 3 weeks i had a job and had moved into my house. I love it here its such a great place. A few of us on here have started a group on facebook if you want to meet up when you arrive its called something like poms in oz - sydney new arrivals. If you cant find it and want to join let me know! best of luck with it all you will love it here!

Guest Jlouise

Hi Julo - im 27 and trying to get a job in Sydney at the moment! - Ive registered with an Australian recrutiment company - but no luck so far.

i dont really want to come over on a working visa as Ive heard this means you can only work for 4 months - fruit picking or something - which I dont want to do!

Do you know any good recruitment company's I can send my CV to?

Im currently a Press Officer (PR) - so I would be looking for a similar role.

Any help appreciated.

Many Thanks

Hi Julo - im 27 and trying to get a job in Sydney at the moment! - Ive registered with an Australian recrutiment company - but no luck so far.

i dont really want to come over on a working visa as Ive heard this means you can only work for 4 months - fruit picking or something - which I dont want to do!

Do you know any good recruitment company's I can send my CV to?

Im currently a Press Officer (PR) - so I would be looking for a similar role.

Any help appreciated.

Many Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum, good luck with the job hunting in Sydney

Tania X:smile:

you are probably going to find sydney expensive

compared to london, sydney is a shangri-la.

however when you travel away from the place you'll soon realise that there are much better places than sydney.

experiment for you in sydney. townhall railway station, go down and wait on the platforms there take in the view.

you'll find that will be plenty of backpacker hostels available. you'll probably team up with other backpackers and rent a place together.

most of the english just get very drunk in australia , you'll probably blow most of your money on booze and never get out of the place!!!

stick to the eastern suburbs in sydney - do not go beyond Anzac parade, from that point on it is just very hot and potentially dangerous. i remember sometime ago when i first arrived a british backpacker was surrounded by a group of gentlemen of a particular persuasion and stabbed some 60 times i think. it made a tiny news story in the local rag. you might try your luck in manly, probably a bit nicer.

i think the working hol visa you can work for one compnay for a maximum of 6 months. YOu can do any type of work but a lot of people do 3 months work on a farm/fruit picking etc as your visa is extended for an extra year. I have also heard alot of people pay off the farm to say they worked there for 3 months to get the extra time.

Not 100% sure but i think on the working hol visa once you have a job the company can sponsor you to stay and change your visa over.

Im in HR so registered with the HR recruitment agencies but found Hays the best. The agencies wont be interested in you til you arrive as after speaking to mine they get sent tons of cvs (sorry resumes!) by people who never arrive, have problems getting visas etc.

the working hol visa is prob one of the quickest to be granted if you want to move over quickly its prob your best option. Just make it clear to agencies you are emigrating to oz not just another backpacker as they will take you more seriously and offer you better roles.

Best of luck anyway if you need any other advice let me know! When are you planning on coming over?

Guest Jlouise

Many thanks for that info - I will look into whether I can change from working holiday visa to employer sponsored visa once im over there. Thanks for that.

Im looking to come over asap - im currently on a temporary contract - so in the current economic climate I doubt they will renew my contract - and I'd rather start fresh job hunting in Sydney than the UK!

How are you finding OZ?

Guest gordon1

Hi, just to confirm for you that you can come over on a working holiday visa and then swap this to a sponsored (457) visa if you find an employer willing to sponsor you. This is what I am in the process of doing. Also, as mentioned by a previous poster - you can do any sort of work on a working holiday visa, for a max of six months for any one employer. It can be any type of work, not just backpacker-type work.

Hope that's helpful.

hi there moose here livin the dream in sydney i wish,work is slow i am a bricklayer and the work is not there anymore ,no ads in papers or just take ur name and number if u call at buildin sites. came here 6 months ago with 20 grand ozzie dollars and its nearly gone i have enough to pay my rent next month and no i havent drank it all.just gettin a day here and there at moment labouring and stuff. hate to be all doom&gloom but any one comin out to australia at moment should carry some extra money with themjust to be sure

Archived