nervous about moving???

gareth and lisa

Hi everybody, after visiting Perth last year and staying in Butler we decided it would be great to move there, iv just qualified as a nurse and have a job here in England. I have an interview lined up for Ramsay health care in Joondalup in March to go out next year. But my heart is saying go for it but my head is saying what on earth an i thinking!!! up rooting, new schools, new work environment, can we afford to live there (were 38 & 47 so not much time left for paying a mortguage boys 9 & 13). I keep thinking see it as an adventure, the rest of the family want us to go even my mom & dad want us to go (how its nice to be loved, lol) but i cant help thinking how big a move this will be on us all and i worried about missing my parents.

Sorry to moan but has anybody else felt like this?? did you overcome the fears and worries and now living happily in Perth. Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards Lisa

:confused:

Guest Perth Princess

I went through exactly the same as you are going through now. I moved here with my family 3 months ago (also to Perth). We gave up good jobs, good schools and left friends and family behind. Has it all been worth it? To be honest I'm still experiencing the roller-coaster so my opinion of this can change from day to day. However, I will say that we have managed to get good jobs, lovely home and a fab school for the girls. We love Australia and I would say that as time passes I feel more confident that we made the right move. We certainly don't have any great desire to move back to the UK at the moment and think we will stay long term. I don't know how long it takes to be completely sure that you have made the right move, I'll be interested to see what other people say.

I have been here 2 months, kids started school and kindy this week, husband getting on great at work but I am struggling to settle. Perth is a lovely place and I am determined to enjoy this wonderful country and climate but I know that this is not what I want for the rest of my life and we will return to the UK in time. Do I have any regrets about moving here? The answer is no, as so many people have said, if you don't try it you will always be asking what if. I know that this probably doesn't help you but it really is a case of everybody having to try it for themselves. What one person likes, another dislikes (in both Australia and UK - or where ever else you are in the world). My husband got a great opportunity to further his career by coming here and we were probably stuck in a rut in the UK. This move has made us re-evaluate what we want for our family long term, something that we would have struggled to do if we had not come on this adventure. Australia is not for everyone but then neither is the UK. It is a very personal choice.

Hi everybody, after visiting Perth last year and staying in Butler we decided it would be great to move there, iv just qualified as a nurse and have a job here in England. I have an interview lined up for Ramsay health care in Joondalup in March to go out next year. But my heart is saying go for it but my head is saying what on earth an i thinking!!! up rooting, new schools, new work environment, can we afford to live there (were 38 & 47 so not much time left for paying a mortguage boys 9 & 13). I keep thinking see it as an adventure, the rest of the family want us to go even my mom & dad want us to go (how its nice to be loved, lol) but i cant help thinking how big a move this will be on us all and i worried about missing my parents.

Sorry to moan but has anybody else felt like this?? did you overcome the fears and worries and now living happily in Perth. Any advise would be appreciated.

Regards Lisa

:confused:

Hi my wife works at Joondalup Health campus, and really likes it there, it's just like being in u.k. anyway, so many of the staff are poms!!! we live not far from Butler so know the area well. Personally I had only ever left the u.k once before we emigrated!!! and that was only a week in Spain!!! LOL

We've treated it as an adventure been here nearly 2 years now and don't want to go back! We both earn more money here and have a lovely big house 2 cars and money in the bank, and things we'd never been able to have in u.k.

I know your older than us and have kids, but if you don't give it a go won't you always be wonder what if?

Of course you will miss family and friends everyone does, but its your life, and they can all come and visit you, and be jealous of what a lovely place it is, as my mum will happily testify!!! She has said many times now that after visiting Perth she hates to go back to the u.k. and will be retiring here or coming to live here in the near future!!!:jiggy:

Guest sylvesterthecat

Hi Lisa,

I am also Lisa (!). My DH and I moved her nearly 18 months ago - with a 6 month old (now nearly 2) and I was DREADING it totally and very very nervous.. so much I had quite bad anxiety attacks. I kept a brave face and it was only when we got on the plane something snapped and I couldn't stop crying!! Another part of our problem was I wanted to go to Sydney and DH wanted Perth - he won!

Anyway... I'm very close to my mum and sister and have a great circle of friends - that I still miss desperately. If someone gave me a plane ticket in the first 8 or so months, I would have gone home but part of me wanted to stick it out too... I'm glad I did.

You are completely right thinking of it as an adventure as that is exactly what life is. I visited the Uk with my little boy in November and so glad I did, it made me realise that England is not going anywhere, it will always be there and you can always come back. No one will make you do anything you dont want to do. Just come for the adventure - your kids will probably find it hard at first but will probably love it after they meet some friends and go surfing at the weekend!

Feel free to PM me. You will be fine - it wont be easy but you wont know unless you try. It is lovely here, I couldn't imagine being in snowy grey economically depressed England right now, esp when I can just drive 8 mins to a stunning beach in the sun! When are you coming!!?

Good luck

Lisa x

Thanks Lisa for your message. I think i need to just get on with it, We dream about it as a family every day, I look at houses for sale (usually the ones i like i could never afford) and my holiday snaps and wish i was there. i think i need to concentrate on the reasons why we want to move, eg lifestyle, weather and hopefully that will keep my fears at bay.

thanks again

Lisa

Guest sylvesterthecat

Definately do it because you want to not under duress. List your pros and cons and see which is longer. It's a big move so you are going to have doubts but your excitement and longing should be more than your fears..

Would you regret it if you didn't come? If yes, then come!! and just enjoy it - there's lots to enjoy and experience... How are your children? are they excited or nervous too?

Thanks Lisa for your message. I think i need to just get on with it, We dream about it as a family every day, I look at houses for sale (usually the ones i like i could never afford) and my holiday snaps and wish i was there. i think i need to concentrate on the reasons why we want to move, eg lifestyle, weather and hopefully that will keep my fears at bay.

thanks again

Lisa

The children & hubby want to come, all the other family are already talking about how many weeks they want to stay. i think the problem is, i am a newly qualified nurse still finding my feet in the role. I would be the main visa applicant so there is a pressure for me to get work and find an area where i feel supported and will enjoy. Dont think the children are thinking emotionally they just see a nicer house, better schools, sun & sand and who can blame them. like you say i would regret it if i didnt try it, working in the nursing profession you realise life is short. im feeling more confident about it now. Blame the hormones!!!

Guest crabbejo
The children & hubby want to come, all the other family are already talking about how many weeks they want to stay. i think the problem is, i am a newly qualified nurse still finding my feet in the role. I would be the main visa applicant so there is a pressure for me to get work and find an area where i feel supported and will enjoy. Dont think the children are thinking emotionally they just see a nicer house, better schools, sun & sand and who can blame them. like you say i would regret it if i didnt try it, working in the nursing profession you realise life is short. im feeling more confident about it now. Blame the hormones!!!

Hi Lisa,

Just wanted to say hello after reading your posts. Your sound as if you are in the exact same position to myself. I have an interview lined up (different hospital though) 2 kids, mortgage and a nagging feeling telling me to 'make the move you wont regret it'. The way I see things is I may as well do it now, if i dont i will always wonder what it would have been like. If it doesn't work out I can always come back. Nothing ventured and all that. I think over the next few months there will be times of excitiment and terror mixed together. Personally I am ful of optimism about a future in Oz. I really think it will be a better way if life overall for my family. I wish you luck in your interview and hope it all works out for you. Keep us posted of your progress.

Nicola

Archived