info on areas to live in SA

Guest Mel.R

Hi all

After making the desicion that we would move to Victoria, we are now umming and aahhing about SA (after watching a place in the sun down under) and thought that it definately warrants a look into.

If anyone can let me know some nice areas to live (coast or country) and good secondary schools that would be great.

Thanks all.

Mx

Guest tinbasher

Hi M

There are loads of nice areas and schools, it all depends on the price range that you are looking for. Have a look at realestate.com.au and look at some houses within your price range and then we can give you an idea what the area is like. With regards to the schools it all depends on whether you are looking at private or public education. Private education is far more accessible over here than in the UK. The schools vary in the fees that they ask, often Roman Catholic private schools are a little bit cheaper as they are partly funded by the church. With regards to the public schools it is like any city there are good and bad ones.

Hope that this is not too vague!

Mrs TinB :err:

Hi Mrs TinB

Many thanks for your reply. Good secondary schools is quite high on my list of priorities - My eldest is currently in a grammar school and my youngest is due to start Grammar here in September. So recommendations of good schools both public and private would be great.

Many thanks

Mx

Guest tinbasher

Hi Mel

Mawson Lakes is a very nice area it is one of the newer developments. I am not sure of the public schools in that area, I know Parafield Gardens is not too far from there and I suppose it depends on the type of schooling your children are used to in the UK! Endeavour College is in that area, it is a private Lutheran School. I looked on their web-site and it doesn't mention any school fees, which could mean that it is expensive. It is a good school though. I will check on my UBD and see what other schools are in the immediate area. Mawson Lakes has a really good rail link to the city and there are a lot of private schools in the city. You have to be in the zone to get in the public schools, but they do offer scholarships for students who have particular skills in certain areas. The private schools also offer scholarships and children sit exams to see if they can get a scholarship.

Hope that helps a little bit.:smile:

Mrs TinB

Hi Mel

Mawson Lakes is a very nice area it is one of the newer developments. I am not sure of the public schools in that area, I know Parafield Gardens is not too far from there and I suppose it depends on the type of schooling your children are used to in the UK! Endeavour College is in that area, it is a private Lutheran School. I looked on their web-site and it doesn't mention any school fees, which could mean that it is expensive. It is a good school though. I will check on my UBD and see what other schools are in the immediate area. Mawson Lakes has a really good rail link to the city and there are a lot of private schools in the city. You have to be in the zone to get in the public schools, but they do offer scholarships for students who have particular skills in certain areas. The private schools also offer scholarships and children sit exams to see if they can get a scholarship.

Hope that helps a little bit.:smile:

Mrs TinB

Thanks for this. I have just looked on Realestate.com and the prices in Parafield Gardens are good. What is the area like. Is the school good?

Thanks

Mx

Hi all

After making the desicion that we would move to Victoria, we are now umming and aahhing about SA (after watching a place in the sun down under) and thought that it definately warrants a look into.

If anyone can let me know some nice areas to live (coast or country) and good secondary schools that would be great.

Thanks all.

Mx

Don't base your decision on where to live because it looks good on a realitly TV show,

they can make anywhere seem great,see the places yourself first .If they did " A place in the sun Iraq" you would probably be packing up now ready to move to Baghdad":arghh: In my opinion the scenery and countryside is alot nicer in Victoria, The great ocean road area, coast and mountains in Victoria beats anything they have in S.A

Don't base your decision on where to live because it looks good on a realitly TV show,

they can make anywhere seem great,see the places yourself first .If they did " A place in the sun Iraq" you would probably be packing up now ready to move to Baghdad":arghh: In my opinion the scenery and countryside is alot nicer in Victoria, The great ocean road area, coast and mountains in Victoria beats anything they have in S.A

I'm not basing a decision on a TV show - what I am saying is that it warrants some investigation before making any firm decisions on areas thats all. Then we can make a clear informed choice on what is best for us workwise, school wise etc etc.

Mx

Guest tinbasher

:huh:Hey Mel

Oz boy is entitled to his opinions, we all have favourite places in oz. Not everywhere is right for each one of us. We like the family feel that you get in SA. We recently had lots of visitors to stay with us, they had travelled all over Oz and they said that the people in Adelaide were very friendly and they had heard a lot of negative things about Adelaide from people who lived here, but they were all very impressed with it. If you are unsure of a city or state you really need to come and look for yourself. With regards to Parafield Gardens I was hoping that you would read more into my exclamation mark. I wouldn't want to live there, so I would avoid the school. I just thought that if you looked at a map you would see that it is near to Mawson Lakes, however Mawson Lakes is very nice. Most places along the coast are nice, however you pay the price. If you are looking for a public school the ones that spring to mind that are good are: Unley High, Blackwood High, Brighton High and Adelaide High there are a few others but I would need to look on a map to jog my memory. The only problem with these schools is that you do need to be in the zone and the house prices around those schools are a lot higher. If you rent a house in the area it has to be for a year in order to get your child into the school. The only other option is a scholarship. Hope that gives you more areas to look at. Unley, Blackwood and Adelaide High are not near to the beach. Unley is about a 20 minute drive away, Blackwood is about 35 and Adelaide High zone is around 15 minutes.

Bye

Mrs TinB

I have just re read your comments on Parafield Gardens - I now realise the use of the !..

I will have a good research of the schools that you mention and then maybe ask further questions on the areas then.

Thanks for your help.

Mx

Guest Guest9973

Hi Mel

I see Mrs Tinbasher is helping you out no end.

Jut to add - I'd be careful how you perceive Adelaide VIA TV programs.

It is lovely here but not as they often portray it.

Take into account all of Adelaide,in general there is something for everyone here- just takes some finding at times.

We live south in Onkaparinga Hills,many nice suburbs around this way too.

Not trying to dismiss TB's opinion (Lazy will do that!),just broadening the horizons.:cute:

Many thanks it is always good to get many opinions of an area and i will take on board all comments and use them for research.

I think you are right though, we will find what is right for us when we finally get there.

xx

Guest just jo

No no no no no with regard to Parafield Gardens. If you are looking to the North East of Adelaide then i can offer you some recommendations.

Mawson Lakes only has a state Primary School, its average, some people love it, its very open plan and the kids call their teacher by their first name. you might think thats fine - I don't. Parafield Gardens is the nearest High School and then Para Hills, I couldn't recommend either.

Endeavour is a private school years 8 to 12. Its roughly £5,500 a year for year 8 and gets more expensive as you go up. Uniform would cost you around $800 unless you can get second hand and book fees are about $250 - $300 a year with camps and excursions on top.

For private High Schools there are a few in the local area. My daughter who is in year 10 goes to Kings Baptist Grammar School. http://www.kingsbaptist.sa.edu.au/index.htm Its a christian school but the religious side is not overly forced upon you. This year I am paying $1140 a term for year 10. There is also Pedare Christian College Pedare Christian College again year 8 - 12 Fees are roughtly the same and there is some sort of building fund you have to pay into every year but at the end of year 5 you get the money back. Gleeson College is next to Pedare but is a catholic school, you don't have to be catholic to get in though. Gleeson College : Home

In the middle of these 2 private schools is Golden Grove high School, its a state school and my middle daughter just started in year 8. Golden Grove is a performing arts and sports motivated school which is why my daughter is there. It cost me $440 for the year and i paid $70 for book hire, locker keys etc. Uniform cost me $300. The curriculum is good and they have career pathways from year 8 if your child has a strong idea of what they want to do. Golden Grove also gets to use all the facilities that have been paid for by the other 2 private schools. State of the art Home Economics, woodwork and metalwork facilities which are brilliant. Golden Grove High School - Entrance to our site

To go to Golden Grove you would have to live in Golden Grove & Wynn Vale but the surrounding areas can get in if they have space. I live in Salisbury Heights and got in.

If you are looking for a place to rent in the north East I would suggest Golden Grove, Wynn Vale, Gulfview Geights, Modbury Heights & Greenwith. Mawson Lakes is nice, very new suburb lots of new modern houses and good bus links to the city but expensive to buy, unless you have a car to drive them to school they won't be able to catch one bus to school or walk. A bit further north near Gawler is Trinity College, again thats private but comes highly recommended Trinity College - Five Schools One College - Northern Suburbs, South Australia. Gawler may be a bit far out for you though.

Schooling here is very different to the UK, its a much slower pace until they reach year 9 and then its gets pretty full on, plenty of homework etc. If you want to know where I wouldn't recommend then PM me as I won't slag anywhere off in public but will give you MY opinion by PM. I've been living in the North East for 4 years now and know all the areas very well.

Jo

• 1 month later...
Guest SamSam

Hi Mx,

My hubby is a brikie too and we have a 13 year old daughter and a 10 year old son so any information you can relay on to us would be great.

When are you thinking of moving out there?

We are awaiting news on a state sponsorship visa and have been told in about 4 weeks we should get an answer (im hoping and praying we get in).

Anyway let me know how you get on.

SamSam

Guest Mel.R
Hi Mx,

My hubby is a brikie too and we have a 13 year old daughter and a 10 year old son so any information you can relay on to us would be great.

When are you thinking of moving out there?

We are awaiting news on a state sponsorship visa and have been told in about 4 weeks we should get an answer (im hoping and praying we get in).

Anyway let me know how you get on.

SamSam

We are awating our state sponsorship too. What date did you submit yours. we submitted ours on 17th March. Your family and situation seems really close to ours (apart from we have 2 boys)

Mx

Guest SamSam
We are awating our state sponsorship too. What date did you submit yours. we submitted ours on 17th March. Your family and situation seems really close to ours (apart from we have 2 boys)

Mx

Hi Mx,

We submitted ours 19th March and yes our situation is the same as yours so we must keep in touch and thank you for answering my other thread you've been a great help.

Have you been to Oz before? We haven't but debating whether to go out there on holiday or take the plunge and just go for it.

I'm not the best of flyers when it comes to planes so still trying to make a decision what is best to do.

Keep in touch

SamSam

p.s

what part of uk are you in?

Guest Mel.R
Hi Mx,

We submitted ours 19th March and yes our situation is the same as yours so we must keep in touch and thank you for answering my other thread you've been a great help.

Have you been to Oz before? We haven't but debating whether to go out there on holiday or take the plunge and just go for it.

I'm not the best of flyers when it comes to planes so still trying to make a decision what is best to do.

Keep in touch

SamSam

p.s

what part of uk are you in?

We have never been to Oz either and probably won't until we get our visa. We are hoping to go before September as Harry - my youngest is due to start secondary school, so it would be good to go before then. We are in Hartley which is in Kent. Where are you?

I have added you as a friend on here so will be easier to keep in touch.

Mx

Guest SamSam

Hi Mx,

We are from Dorset and thank you for adding me as a friend would be great to keep in touch. I also hope we get the visa before September because my eldest will be in year 10 studying for GCSEs (not sure if they are the same in Oz) and the quicker we get there the more settled we will all be. We have sold our house and in rented but we feel as if we are in limbo until the visas come through.

Have to say though it's all very exciting, can't wait, just hope we get in as i've read so many bad threads and posts about Australia cutting down on brickies, plumbers etc... but trying to be optimistic.

Keep in Touch

SamSam

Archived