After school care in Perth area

Guest crabbejo

Guest crabbejo

Hi

Looking to move to Perth area early next year and we have 2 kids, 9 and 6. DO people use childminders for after school care in OZ or do the primary schools provide clubs/care themselves.

My OH will be working as soon as we get there, but I would ideally like to get working ASAP, so obviously we need to find out what peoples experiences are

cheers

Jonny

Hi, I know our school doesn't provide after school care, there are after school facilities, but I believe they're quite expensive. Don't know about childminders. It will probably be best to do a search when you know which area your heading, you can also contact the schools in that area and they'll be able to give you contact details

Ali

Hi

Looking to move to Perth area early next year and we have 2 kids, 9 and 6. DO people use childminders for after school care in OZ or do the primary schools provide clubs/care themselves.

My OH will be working as soon as we get there, but I would ideally like to get working ASAP, so obviously we need to find out what peoples experiences are

cheers

Jonny

There are after school clubs - a lot run by YMCA, others state run & some private childcare centres which do after school care. These will pick up from selected primary schools (I believe mostly state schools)

Certain private schools provide there own after school care but otherwise child minders are an option (called Family Day Care in Australia)

None of these options worked for us though, DS is going to a school that no after school clubs pick up at so we have had to employ a nanny - this is a lot cheaper than the UK, we're paying $20 an hour gross - it is a lot less regulated too but our nanny is qualified, has the relevant police and working with children checks, qualified in first aid etc.

I did lots of googling and found various directories of after-school care & family day care & used www.weneedananny.com to find a nanny.

Overall it is similar to the UK really.

Jules

Guest crabbejo
Hi, I know our school doesn't provide after school care, there are after school facilities, but I believe they're quite expensive. Don't know about childminders. It will probably be best to do a search when you know which area your heading, you can also contact the schools in that area and they'll be able to give you contact details

Ali

There are after school clubs - a lot run by YMCA, others state run & some private childcare centres which do after school care. These will pick up from selected primary schools (I believe mostly state schools)

Certain private schools provide there own after school care but otherwise child minders are an option (called Family Day Care in Australia)

None of these options worked for us though, DS is going to a school that no after school clubs pick up at so we have had to employ a nanny - this is a lot cheaper than the UK, we're paying $20 an hour gross - it is a lot less regulated too but our nanny is qualified, has the relevant police and working with children checks, qualified in first aid etc.

I did lots of googling and found various directories of after-school care & family day care & used www.weneedananny.com to find a nanny.

Overall it is similar to the UK really.

Jules

thanks guys. So basically no real problems if both parents are working full-time. Just need to decide which option suits best.

I'll look into it more when we know what area we are looking at

Archived