457 visa to e- Visitor

Waitingawhile

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Dave Payne

No worries mate. or as President Obama would say, "Yes you can". You'll probabbly be given between three and six months but you will be unable to work.

Guest proud2beaussie

As far as I am aware you can apply for an E-Visitor visa from within Australia but you must still be in Australia at the date of grant ,at least that is my understanding but I could be wrong.

As regards the 457 visa well the conditions are set out as follows:

The employee must notify the department of any change in their circumstances.

If the sponsor ceases the employee's employment, the employee must do one of the following:

• find another employer who is willing to sponsor them and apply for another visa
  • apply for another type of substantive visa
  • leave Australia within 28 days unless the employee's visa expires before that time, in which case the employee must leave Australia prior to visa expiry.

Of course the question would be on the interpretation of the term substantive visa,which I take to mean anything other than a bridging visa,but again I have only limited knowledge so am hesitant to give advice.

And the other point to consider is that if your 457 visa was cancelled and you were allowed to apply for a tourist visa then you would of course be prohibited from working under the conditions for a tourist visa.

I'm sure either gollywobbler or chris mac would give you advise if you pm either of them.

HTH

N'OZ

• 2 months later...

Hi Nigelinoz thanks for your reply on this - i too thought I would be ok but now however having double checked and looked at the evisitor elligibility page it does say you must be outside of Oz when u apply-does anyone know if you can actaully become a tourist once your 457 visa ends and if so how-- as it would be good to finish work and share a holiday with family but we not want to be in position of having to cancel/arrange flights last minute if transferring to a visitor visa proves impossible.

Ok just to answer my own question in case anyone else out there wants to know what to do in a similar situation (or perhaps it is only me who will ever want to know lol)- you can apply for a visitor visa or tourist visa or what ever you want to call it but you must do it in person and may need to make an appointment at your nearest office. You will need to make the application before your 457 visa ends and you mustnt have a 8503 clause in your current visa. To apply you will need to fill in form 601. you can also expect to pay a charge per applicant (currently $240). Furthermore you will need to show you have the financial means to support yourself in the country, through showing bank statements etc and also the means to leave the country - you will also need to show evidence of your plans whilst remaining in the country.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pomparry

thanks for this - im just about to apply for a 457 visa but may want to travel after my 2 years of work is up, its good to know i should check I dont have this 8503 clause when i apply!

I see form 601 relates to this visa:

Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

hazel

Archived