Getting bond back once you've left country?

Georgie

We are wondering wether to just not pay the last 4 weeks rent before we leave the country and let them use the bond money to pay for it? We have not damaged the house and so the bond would have to be returned but i JUST DONT trust them to send us the cheque! They never even teturn my phone calls. I know its not legal but can anyone else tell me if they have received the bond back even if they have left the country without a problem or should i do this and tell them i am not paying it and to use my bond money or should i just keep putting off paying without telling them why and just leave anyway?

What is anyones thoughts on this?

Just spoken to my mum and when they originally left Australia when renting they say the agents came and gave them the bond the day they left. I really cant see ours doing that though as they were not even flexible to let us move in a day early because of our furniture delivery date and even though the place was empty we had to wait another 3 days so they could do their pre inspection prior to us moving in. So i highly doubt they will give it to us on the day we move out. I am just so aware that we have no leg to stand on from the other side of the world so thats why i thought if we just didnt pay the last 4 weeks they will get the rent anyway as that is what the bond will cover and really we have left the place in a better state than when we moved in!

Any advice gratefully recieved

Georgie (thanks for bumping it up for me)

Guest proud2beaussie

Your bond has been lodged with an independent body,your agent has no say in how it is handed back,if you make a claim through the RTBA it is them who will arrange to get the bond back to you and if the agent has not lodged the bond with the RTBA they have broken the law,please check the RTBA site that I provided the link for in my previous post. I strongly suggest paying rent as normal and putting in claim with RTBA for refund of bond on the last day of tenancy.

Thank you Nigel in Oz! I knew it was kept by someone other than the agent but i thought it was up to the agent whether or not you got it all back and i thought that would be done whenever they felt like it and only after i had organized a team of cleaners to come and remove the strand of hair on the bathroom floor!!!

I have heard stories about silly things that stopped them getting their bond money back so am very dubious about it. I will contact the bond people and ask them if this can be arranged for our last day because we shall be heading straight to the plane from our rental and i cant come and remove a silly hair if they found one or something similar which i hope i will have cleaned well enough for them not to. I assumed that the rental agent would give them the go ahead to release the money after they had checked the house on our departure so thanks for your advice.

Anyway i am too scared to do the illegal bit:policeman:

You should informed to use your bond money as payment for those days. You shouldn't take risk.

Do you mean if i ask the agent to use my bond money for the last 4 weeks rent they will be okay with that?? Not sure i understood what you said.

• 1 month later...
Guest Up the Dale
We are wondering wether to just not pay the last 4 weeks rent before we leave the country and let them use the bond money to pay for it? We have not damaged the house and so the bond would have to be returned but i JUST DONT trust them to send us the cheque! They never even teturn my phone calls. I know its not legal but can anyone else tell me if they have received the bond back even if they have left the country without a problem or should i do this and tell them i am not paying it and to use my bond money or should i just keep putting off paying without telling them why and just leave anyway?

Hi

Can see your point but I think it's a bit dodgy. You'll doubtless get the agents / owners backs up. They can take you to court for non-payment long before the 4 weeks is up. If you are in arrears then the bond can be used to make this up - they are held by an independent body but if you are in arrears and have left the country anyway then they'll obviously get their hands on it. If you think they won't come after you in those 4 weeks then you'll probably get away with it - but you will have a court judgement against you which could make it difficult if you did ever come back!

One way out - appoint someone as your de facto and they can chase the bond for you. Check with the courts that this is appropriate and possible - I think it would be. Did the agents make a property condition report on your moving in? If not, then it's quite unlikely that they will be able to prove anything against you.

It's NOT up to the agent at all: you both have to agree on the bond disbursement and if you don't agree then in the end you can take them to court (or vice versa, obviously). Agents will threaten all sorts of things but they CAN'T take anything out of the bond without your signing the form. If it goes to court, then it's the judge's decision.

on the day of leaving get them to come and inspect whilst going out the door, if they pass everthing you can get the paperwork from them go to the post office and within 2 hours you pick up your money.

Guest Toorak Trev

The 2 things are completely seperate and you are in affect dealing with 2 seperate legal entitities.

The agent/landlord will have no access to the bond unless you acknowledge and running off prevents an easy outcome.

Your most likely too cause legal process and subsequent bad karma for future immigrants

Go through the normal process and get it sorted properly rather than acting like a child.

Hi

I asked them already if they would do it the day i leave and they said no it takes a couple of days to do the inspection!!Your guess is as good as mine .....:no:

They are being damn akward, and I think I know which agent it is because I have heard similar stories from others on this agent.

Kernow i tried to pm you but couldnt so please can you advise me how to go about getting bond from a bond agent and i am quite willing to pay a fee for this. Yes they are very difficult and it was the same with the moving in date and furniture del etc (but thats another story). I wont mention who it is although it is a big company but they are all run individually so not sure if they would all act the same. I have been stung by one in Melbourne before and the things they took money for were already there when we moved in and i had the pictures to prove it but they insisted it hadnt been as bad For example there had been a rip in some lino that had got bigger (i said it is bound to happen isnt it? to which they disagreed!!). I have been prewarned about the rental agents in Aus trying their best to get your bond! Not sure it would apply to all but guess i have been unlucky.

Thanks

Guest Toorak Trev
We are wondering wether to just not pay the last 4 weeks rent before we leave the country and let them use the bond money to pay for it?

As explained in my earlier post you cannot

i JUST DONT trust them to send us the cheque!

I know its not legal but

No buts you have shown your true colours

should i just keep putting off paying without telling them why and just leave anyway?

And you can't trust the estate agents. No wonder they treat you this way.

You asked I provided - if you dont want honest remarks don't post in either public threads or as you have badly written abusive pm's You have just a spineless resolve and have no sympathy or empathy from me.

Thank you for your lovely reply and there is no more to be said apart from "you boring little man" Go and bully someone else. BTW you dont know me or my true colours but you certainly seem to have shown yours!

To all others who may be thinking the same...i did not say i was going to do a runner but actually asked if they would take the last 4 rents as payment via the bond? It was a question i hoped some people may be able to answer. '

Toorak Trev may be loaded and think nothing of losing 4 weeks rent but it is a lot to me.

Toorak Trev i cant get the copy of this so called abusive PM so can you please post it so people can see how abusive it really was? i called you a stupid man and that was it! Not really abusive considering your reply to me

thank you for your helpful advice

I do not wish to reply in public to your nasty spiteful message. It is you that is acting like a child i think! What is wrong with you you silly person? I only wish to clarify a situation with others who may know and it is a fact i do not trust the agent .. but why i am explaining myself to you is beyond me. So i shall stop and get on with my life and may i suggest you just get on with yours

There you go everyone!

This is my abusive pm to Trev!

Trev NOW i am being childish as this is why i didnt post this originally on a PUBLIC forum. Now if you can get over yourself and just admit you are being slightly nasty and spiteful then just ignore this BUT ....if you cant get over yourself and want to play childish games then please respond. But you know what? I am over it now and i will let you have the last word (go one... you know you want to!) but you know if you do you're like a big kid!!!!:laugh: I wont bother to lower myself :biggrin:

Have not read the whole thread Georgie but my friend and I did what you talk about we did not pay our rent we made sure the property was fine and clean and tidy and the bond could be used as rent and posted them the keys.

We were not leaving the country either just moving suburbs.

Petals thanks for your reply. Yes we were planning on getting the carpets cleaned etc but to be honest with you i dont think i would dare just not pay the last 4 weeks. I originally planned on doing it and letting them take it from the bond as we know the place is actually cleaner than we moved in and we havent damaged anything at all.

Did you do it because you didnt trust the agent as well? What were your reasons? Was there any backlash? The agent we are with are horrendous. They dont return calls and seem unhelpful. They even arranged an inspection and didnt turn up (no phone call or anything and i had waited in all day).

I am not dishonest and if the rent cant be taken from the bond i wouldnt dream of doing it at all as i would hate to rent my house out and not have the rent paid. But if the bond would pay the rent then maybe it is possible to do it. If i was going to be around when i had left and they said there was anything wrong i could contest it but it is a bit hard when you have left the country!

• 4 months later...
Guest proud2beaussie
So what happened?

edit: and why are you posting in 'PomsinOz' if you are an Aussie?

Firstly this is an old post and was submitted when Georgie was seeking advice about what to do when they moved back to the UK.

And by the way as far as I know (I won't claim to speak on her behalf) Georgie is a UK citizen who wants to return home,but that is no business of your anyway.PIO is a forum for many people and lots of them are Australians,many have a link with the UK in some form but it is not a condition of membership.

Nigel its okay i can take it!! Thanks for standing up for me though it is appreciated as there are so many people only too eager to try and belittle others on here. Dont know if that was JPVD's intention but it does happen a lot.

I dont mind updating anyone who really wants to know.

I ended up telling the agent we wanted to go end of Sept (lease ends 12th Dec). They asked the owners if we could break the lease with no penalties and they agreed only if their parents could come and do the final inspection along with the agent. I did tell a lie though and pretended that i had to go back due to illness in the family (i dont like tempting fate but otherwise they would not have let me out without penalties and I am sorry to those that this really does happen to). I am paying a cleaner $200 and the agent is paying the other $120 towards the full house clean of $320. The agents knew the house was a bit dirty so thats why. I really shouldnt pay for this service but i really want to get my bond back with no arguments.

I really couldnt do the runner thing in the end an the agent isnt all that bad i think we just got off on a bad footing and i admit i am over sensitive at times!!! She talks nicely to me on the phone now as in the beginning it seemed a deliberate attempt to avoid me on the phone.

I have 6 weeks and 5 days left here and i am going to try and make the most of it. Also thinking i might take up cleaning houses as my job on return as there certainly seems to be a lot of money in that!!!

Georgie

I have got dual citizenship (Aussie taken up in 1986 as a teen) Like Nigel says,why cant any nationality post on this forum? if they are moving back they are moving back??? Arent they?

thanks for the follow-up Georgie... i stumbled upon this unfinished soap-opera and was really curious about how it panned out!

no malice in my questioning your nationality; sorry.

please make sure to post the sordid details when it is all over.

Nigel: a bit OTT for a moderater?

No probs didnt actually think anyone would be interested but i understand that no malice was intended. It is very hard as i have said previously to know how to take ecertain posts when they are written and not said. I actually asked Johatts once if she was being sarcy (when i first joined) but now i have read her posts she never seems to be that way but it was the way it read. I do think Nigel was reading your post in a negative way but tbh he is probably sick of all the bitchiness that usually happens on here. I for one enjoy the juicy banter between the regulars who are known for it (Inlimbo who everyone assumes is Earlswood in disgiuse -confusing- and Aldo against Andrewpeppin and Pablo etc). It is one of the reasons i log in so i can have a laugh. I reckon if they knew each other in real life they would get on great. Sometimes though an innocent question can be jumped on and the OP gets ripped to pieces which i dont like.

Archived