shipping

Guest adelaidebound

Guest adelaidebound

hya i need some advice

were looking to move from uk to adelaide and wondered about shipping cost or would it be cheaper to just start afresh in oz and buy everything in oz

thanks

phill and christina

Hi Phil and Christine,

We have had a few quotes and the one we will be using if we get approved Visa is GB Liners as they impressed us on there visit and have high recommendation and we got a quote of £3359 for a 20" reefer container which is a good price. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum too, you will love it on here. :biggrin:

Lynne & Tony

Hi,

We used John Mason, cost £3,500 including insurance. Personally, we've brought as much as we could, we certainly wouldn't be able to furnish a house with the money it cost to bring stuff over - we will still need to buy some things for our new house too.

ali

Hi Phill and Christine

I orginally moved to Perth in 2003 and only shipped over personal items. We sold all our furninture, although it was only 18 months old! When you sell 2nd hand goods you hardly get a bean for them! People want new and it's easy to get now with interest free deals and 0% credit cards. If people are going to buy second hand, they want it cheap!

For example I paid £1400 for my sofa which I lovingly cleaned every week, looked as new as the day I brought it, and sold it for £150 although it was only 18 months old.

Therefore I would recommend you pay to have your furniture shipped over. It sounds alot of money but you'll have to pay to send personal items over anyway, so you may as well add in the rest, it is cheaper than re-purchasing everything.

Good luck with your move.

Sam xx

One thing I would keep in mind though especially with wooden items in particular sofa suites, they'll need to be fumigated, all wooden items do as well as any item which have touched UK soil for example a lawnmower. They also won't guarantee that the fumigation won't destroy the fabric covering your sofa.

Its a personal thing, I think. We recently re-assessed what we planned to do, went from only taking personal items to taking all the house necessities, albeit the sofa.

Guest adelaidebound

ok thanks for your reply , will bear that in mind , your right its a great site , im on it every day coz each day a new question enters my mind

thanks

phill and christina xx

Guest mr mover
One thing I would keep in mind though especially with wooden items in particular sofa suites, they'll need to be fumigated, all wooden items do as well as any item which have touched UK soil for example a lawnmower. They also won't guarantee that the fumigation won't destroy the fabric covering your sofa.

Its a personal thing, I think. We recently re-assessed what we planned to do, went from only taking personal items to taking all the house necessities, albeit the sofa.

WOODEN ITEMS ARE ONLY FUMIGATED IF THEY SHOW SIGNS OF RECENT BORER ACTIVITY.....................MM

Thanks MM for the correction, I thought any untreated wood such as a sofa frame needed fumigation. Just going on what I was told.

I think this is really down to personal preference ,we brought 19 large boxes of personal and necessary items,and sold most of our furniture etc ,we hit k-mart on arrival for furniture etc ,the only thing i would do differently if i was too do it again is i would bring more clothes for the kids as theres no ''cheepie'' shops as such and i'd bring all the little tikes garden toys as they are quite expensive,a good website/shop i found by word of mouth is www.fantasticfurniture.com.au this place do some really cheap starter packs and i wish id found it in November,but heh some you win some you lose !!!

Cal x

Archived