Migration Agent Fees - How much is too much?

merlino

Hi there,

Recently I met a migration agent for a free consultation, to discuss my options and listen to how she can help me go about with my visa application.

I am looking to apply for the Skilled Regional Sponsored Subclass 475 visa.

The agent quoted me SGD 4000 which roughly equates to GBP 1900 (excluding DIAC application fees, IELTS test, Assessment, Medical, Police fees)

Question: I do not know the going rate of agents are, but is what I am quoted too much? Since it is not a PR application, but a Provisional one, I was thinking I should be charged lesser.

Also, is it true that offshore migration agents do not have to be registered?

Appreciate help.

If your confident enough, go it alone merlino. We did and to be honest its not that difficult.

Can't help you with what are reasonable fees and I'm sure that if you are going to use an agent that you should check that they are registered, whether they are offshore or not.

Howard.

I would also have a good look at what you want to achieve from the agent. If you have a straight forward case, it isn't too difficult to apply yourself. Also look at some of the recommendations given by others.

Tim

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Merlino

The agent quoted me SGD 4000 which roughly equates to GBP 1900 (excluding DIAC application fees, IELTS test, Assessment, Medical, Police fees)

Which currency is SGD, please?

£1,900 + VAT would be a pretty middle-of-the-road fee in the UK. I heard of a UK based agent the other week who is said to be offering to do an initial appraisal of your various options, plus help with the skills assessment application, plus deal with the visa application for £1,000 or so all-inclusive as far as his own profit costs are concerned. I can't remember the company's name but hopefully the clients who are using this firm will answer this thread.

I would recommend that you get quotes from at least half a dozen firms and make sure that they are all fixed fee quuotes. If you get involved with the ones who say £300 up front and then it depends on time spent, you are writing an open cheque which could potentially end up costing you many thousands of pounds and could well end up being WAY above what is fair & reasonable for the work.

Check the jurisdiction clause in the proposed contract as well. If you are in the UK, a contract governed by the law of New Zealand is of no value to you because you would be unable to sue on it except in the courts in NZ. I have seen this stunt pulled by a MARA registered migration agent with premises in the UK. The client was let down and had no realistic remedy. The MARA rules do not prevent sharp practice of this sort so do check the jurisdiction clause before you sign anything or pay any money. Are you happy to sign a contract which is enforceable only in Queenland if you intend to move to Perth, for example?

Mine isn't too straight forward, I have to admit, therefore I went to speak with the agent.

What is complicated about your situation, please?

Best wishes

Gill

Hi Gill,

Which currency is SGD, please?

Thanks. SGD = Singapore Dollar.

What is complicated about your situation, please?

My "recent work experience" is the complicated part. Picking an occupation as "recent work experience" would be tricky, and the agent said that she can help me with it.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Merlino

Here is a list of all the MARA-registered agents who have offices in or are otherwise connected with agencies in Singapore.

Investigation sometimes reveals that the address in Singapore is a "virtual office" or that it is a real one with real staff but the agent who would nominally (at any rate) be in charge of your application is rarely, if ever, present in person at the Singapore address given.

Caveat Emptor - let the buyer beware - applies when selecting an agent.

A price comparison between Agents in Singapore might be useful if you propose to use a Singapore-based firm?

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Gill, thanks

The agent who spoke with me does not have her name listed in the list. Is it required for offshore agents to be registered?

Hi Merlino

If an agent is physically in Australia then technically it is illegal for him/her to give "migration advice & assistance" unless s/he is MARA-registered. DIAC are the enforcers of the relevant legislation in Australia but they cannot chuck their weight around in another country.

In the UK, anybody offering advice about immigration to the UK must be registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commission but the British Government makes no attempt to regulate the activities of those offering advice and assistance with emigration from the UK.

My guess is that Singapore Law is probably the same as UK, Australian and NZ Law in this regard.

Best wishes

Gill

Guest Gollywobbler
Gill, thanks.

Am I right then to say that, if an agent (i.e. based in the UK) offers paid migration services to Australia, he/she need not be registered with MARA?

Hi Merlino

Correct. Competence is what counts, not whether or not somebody is MARA-registered. There are good and bad Agents both within the MARAs aegis and outside it.

Best wishes

Gill

Archived