Plastic Storage Boxes & Shipping containers

Guest mandisfam

Guest mandisfam

Hi folks, i have a question about storage boxes. I am about to start de-cluttering my home and beginning to have a long overdue sort out, with a view in mind of chucking stuff out that I am not taking to Australia with me.

However, what I am going to keep, I want to store. Now my first thought is to store these things in plastic boxes but I think I read on here that if you putting things in a container for shipment they recommend not using plastic boxes, is this right???

Thanks

Mandisfam

Guest mandisfam

Hi there, thanks for that. I was sure I read somewhere that things in plastic boxes in a container can go mouldy do to condensation in the container....or something like that...

Mandisfam

Hi folks, i have a question about storage boxes. I am about to start de-cluttering my home and beginning to have a long overdue sort out, with a view in mind of chucking stuff out that I am not taking to Australia with me.

However, what I am going to keep, I want to store. Now my first thought is to store these things in plastic boxes but I think I read on here that if you putting things in a container for shipment they recommend not using plastic boxes, is this right???

Thanks

Mandisfam

i have a few plastic boxes and shippers said they were ok .....also put duvets , pillows , bulky items in vacum storage bags .... you are paying for space not weight ... so the more you can squeeze in the better !!!

mrs keily

Guest spottymercedes

We took quite a few things in plastic storage boxes and they were fine, probably better in there than how the shippers pack in cardboard boxes.

Guest James.S

Hi, what we were told is that the containers on the ship get very hot during the day and cold at night, they will develop condensation so the whatever you put things in need to be able to breathe, thats why the shipping companies all use lined cardboard boxes....

Having said that, some of our stuff is in plastic boxes, but anything electrical they packed with silica gel to take out any condensation...!

Good luck,

James...

Guest prettyinpink

Not everything goes into cardboard boxes.

We used the plastic storage boxes and they were just fine. We also paid for the mould and mildew insurance with the shipping company. Some bulky items were packed in the very thick bubble type wrap that the shippers use, and the things we had packed (i.e. plastic storage boxes, suitcases with some winter clothes etc) were all packed using this bubble wrap.

We had nothing mouldy and nothing broken.

Archived