Which UK bank account is best to keep?

Guest ashmalog

Guest ashmalog

Hi

I have been reading a bit on here about bank accounts and just wondered which ones are the best ones to keep - at least for a while until we get settled. i have an alliance and leicester account but i have heard that nationwide don't charge you to use your card over in oz. was thinking of leaving money over here until the xchange rate gets a bit better. not going over just yet - still need to sell house!

has anyone been able to use their cash card over in oz without any problems and can anyone recommend a particular account. i have set up an account with anz already.

cheers

Guest carkyde

Hi Ashmalog

We put our money into the Nationwide, transferred the majority into Commonwealth Migrant Bank in London, watched the exchange rate and then changed when the rate was good. We are moving on 9th Feb to Oz permanently and are leaving a small amount in the Nationwide so if we need to buy pressies etc we can use the UK account. The Nationwide don't charge to use ur card either debit or credit card and you can do internet banking so you can keep an eye on it.

Get yourself a Nationwide card they don't charge at all, when we first arrived we used it for daily cash withdrawals and when we needed to buy a car we transfered over £10000 from Nationwide account into our Westpac account over the counter and was not charged for the transfer and also got a great exchange rate on the day.

Guest JoanneHattersley

We kept our Lloyds acct and still have it. Cant remember if they charge but I think it is only a minimal amount - couple of quid.

Guest carkyde

JO I remember reading it was about 5% for every transaction, so that could be quite a lot of money in the long run. I think there is a charge for using a cash machine abroad and a charge for currency conversion. The Nationwide don't have these charges.

We have a LloydsTSB card, they are the worst for overseas transactions, not only do they charge £2 per transaction they also set their own exchange rate, for example we withdrew £300 from Nationwide and £300 from Lloyds cards at the same time using the same ATM in Australia, with the Nationwide card we got $670 but with Lloyds we ended up with $630 thats $40 or £20 profit for Lloyds, the best thing you can do with the Lloyds card is cut it up.....and throw it away...

Guest juliemtaylor

Hi I work for Nationwide agency and yes they don't charge for using card abroad. it takes 3 days to set up online banking and allow a week to 10 days for all your cards and pin no's to come.

Julie x

hi guys we come over here to oZ 7WEEKS AGO, IVE USED MY NATIONWIDECARD MOST DAYS and have to say with no problems, even the exchange rate was better than in Oz.I use my nationwide card to save me draining my australian account (they call them savings here).I would recommend you set up an account and yes they do online banking , thats how i keep track of what im spending

thanks guys for all your replies - will open a nationwide account this week. i presume they do online banking too.

You better get a move on as they use a little device called a card reader when you internet bank its a security device and its easy to use

Mally

Archived