finding work before we move

julie and gary

Hi fellow poms

Me and my oh are looking to migrate to brisbane.

application (175) was sent off july 08 and now its just a waiting game.

But now im worried how long it will take to find work when we get out there with the econemy turn. I dont want to have to return to the uk bescause we carnt afford to live.

We have been looking on the job websites and seeing what is availible, there are quite a few jobs for my oh trade at the moment but how long will this last for.

I want to start applying to companys now and hope that they might keep me on there books when I arrive, but my oh is saying no as we dont know when we are finally going to get there and on the jobs discription it clearly states that only people who have the right to work in oz should apply.

I am so confused

there must be other people in the same boat

There is no harm putting feelers out but in all honesty we got very little response until we were actually here in the country. Hubby then found it worked best to approach companys in person and 'sell himself' . Things have slowed a little in certain trades but theres still a few jobs out there, get saving to support you through the first couple of months and you should be ok. You Have the 175 visa so depending on your personal circumstances you may be entitled to a bit of financial help from Centrelink once you arrive until your up on your feet.

Good Luck

Cal x

There is no harm putting feelers out but in all honesty we got very little response until we were actually here in the country. Hubby then found it worked best to approach companys in person and 'sell himself' . Things have slowed a little in certain trades but theres still a few jobs out there, get saving to support you through the first couple of months and you should be ok. You Have the 175 visa so depending on your personal circumstances you may be entitled to a bit of financial help from Centrelink once you arrive until your up on your feet.

Good Luck

Cal x

Thanks for that,

I Suppose the best way is realy to get out there and sell your self.

What is this centerlink you mentioned? I have never heard of this before

Guest sexkit001

Julie...

have you tried contacting recruitment agencies at all ?? I know they are not everyones cup of tea but its a foot in the door and hopefully the chance of some work until you find what you are looking for, I have contacted the company I used to work for (they have agencies all over Oz) and they have recommended that I use their online service which I can do once we have our visa in place... xxx

Julie...

have you tried contacting recruitment agencies at all ?? I know they are not everyones cup of tea but its a foot in the door and hopefully the chance of some work until you find what you are looking for, I have contacted the company I used to work for (they have agencies all over Oz) and they have recommended that I use their online service which I can do once we have our visa in place... xxx

Hi

No I have realy thought of agencies at all, but I guess its a start.

Do you know of any agencies I can look into

Iv been reading other peoples threads and some of then have realy struggled to find work when they arrived, It just worries me

Guest sexkit001
Hi

No I have realy thought of agencies at all, but I guess its a start.

Do you know of any agencies I can look into

Iv been reading other peoples threads and some of then have realy struggled to find work when they arrived, It just worries me

I know what you mean, that is what prompted me to contact them, for my role (PA) it is a little quiet at the mo,(which seems to be the case at this time of year) but there is always other admin work available until I find what I am looking for... I used to work for Adecco (was Adia when I worked for them) (Home - Adecco Office & Industrial Australia) ... some of the offices have been your box standard 'contact us when you are here', but the majority have been really great and giving me an idea of the salary I could expect when work is available and the opporutnity to complete the online form... if you want anymore info I can forward a copy of one of their emails that I have got.. xxx

I know what you mean, that is what prompted me to contact them, for my role (PA) it is a little quiet at the mo,(which seems to be the case at this time of year) but there is always other admin work available until I find what I am looking for... I used to work for Adecco (was Adia when I worked for them) (Home - Adecco Office & Industrial Australia) ... some of the offices have been your box standard 'contact us when you are here', but the majority have been really great and giving me an idea of the salary I could expect when work is available and the opporutnity to complete the online form... if you want anymore info I can forward a copy of one of their emails that I have got.. xxx

Thanks for that.

I would be nice to get an idear of salary, Im always on realestate.com looking at the houses they are fab....I could be on there all day ha ha.

Guest sexkit001
Thanks for that.

I would be nice to get an idear of salary, Im always on realestate.com looking at the houses they are fab....I could be on there all day ha ha.

I know exactly what you mean, when PIO is a little quiet im house surfing, the salary guide has helped me a little but then when I look at the mortgage calculator I get all confused !! one minute we can only get a mortgage of 270k for both of us working and then it goes to the extreme of 700k+ so I am working on the lower one.... PM your email address and I will send you the email xxx

Thanks for that,

I Suppose the best way is realy to get out there and sell your self.

What is this centerlink you mentioned? I have never heard of this before

Centrelink is a bit like the Social in the UK and as you have a skilled PR visa you may be eligible for certain benefits (depending on your circumstances) whilst you get up and earning!

Hope this helps

Cal x

Archived