Is the water shortage affecting Bunbury?

Guest Jane L

Hi, just wanted to know is the Australian water shortage affecting Western Australia and in particular, Bunbury? How is it affecting day to day life and is it so serious it would make you think twice about emigrating?

Cheers

Jane, Warrington, Cheshire

Hi Jane,

Not really a water shortage in WA at the moment.. Not in the short term anyway. The longer term is more cause for concern because there just ain't enopugh for all that everyone wants to do with agriculture, mining There is no water restrictions apart from the usual plant watering type restictions - which is council driven.

Guest PommieLady

There is a water shortage with plans to build de salination plants and/or tap into the water under the Margaret River region.

However it does not impact on everyday living, which is why there is a water shortage :biglaugh:

You can take half hour showers, have the hose pipe on for an hour or more to water your lawn, leave the tap on while you brush your teeth, put reticulation everywhere in your garden, grow plants that require lots of water and water your garden in the middle of the day and no one will bat an eyelid.

Of course if you want to be ecologically sound then you could put in a grey watering system, which uses your 'used' water in the garden. This of course means flushing the toilet more often, and if you get stuck just leaving the tap running.

:biglaugh:

plenty of water down in bunbury we have a large reservoir here and lots of underground water. Obviously there are restrictions when it comes to watering your garden with retic and we all try our best to help and not have long showers etc.

We have plenty of rain down here during the winter as we have a med climate so expect July/August to be wet and I've never seen rain like it but you'll have huge downpours for an hour or so then its all over and at least its not as cold as the UK but does go down to 2 or 4 in the nights during winter, which shocked us, but the rest of the year is gorgeous and at least we have green fields for a good portion of the year.

Sarah

Thanks Sarah

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, hectic week!

Just starting the ball rolling with a migration agent but we were torn between Adelaide or Bunbury. I know it's a bit of a difference and Adelaide was winning but seeing a report on the BBC about the Murray River and lack of water worried us a bit for the future. That's why I wanted to know what the situation in Bunbury was and thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Bunbury now seems to be what we are looking for and a great place to bring kids up. My hubby is a plasterer (isn't everyone) and so fingers crossed, Western Australia will still want him.

Thanks again Sarah.

Cheers Jane - in freezing cold Warrington, Cheshire

Guest BullcreekBob
...then you could put in a grey watering system, which uses your 'used' water in the garden. This of course means flushing the toilet more often, and if you get stuck just leaving the tap running.

Grey water does not include the toilets. That is called black water. Grey water is the stuff from the washing machines, sinks, baths and showers.

Archived