school year groups!

Guest lynneand mark

Guest lynneand mark

Could anyone please help and tell me what year group my daughter would be in at the start of the school year in 2008. Her birth date is Nov 1999, so she will be 8 yrs and 2 months. In uk she would be part way through y3 but from what I can tell in Queensland she would go into Y4 as her birthday is before Dec but in WA she would be in Y3 as their school admission dates run from July to June not Jan to Dec. Queensland seem to be changing their admissions from next year but I think she will be too old to be affected by that. So in effect will she miss a whole year of school? She will be pleased with that but none too happy if she is the youngest in the year instead of the oldest! Many thanks.

I think it alters a little throughout Oz ,and it seems pretty normal top repeat years if they dont do too well,my son was 8 Oct 06 and started year 4 at the beginning of term in January,he says hes one of the youngest but thats an 8yr olds words ,in the uk he was one of the oldest,,Because we arrived early november Zak finished school in the uk in the october half term meaning he had done one term of year 3,,we settled in this area late november and was told to keep him off till the new school year in January ,meaning he missed nearly all year 3 ,,hope this makes sense

Cal x

Hi,

My son was born Sept 18th 1999. In the UK he had just started year 2, he was also in year 2 here in Aus (although he is being taught in a mixed class of year 2/3 children). The style of teaching seems more relaxed, but he is learning new things, he's developed a passion for science that he never had before and i just asked the teacher to make sure the books he chose from the school library would challange his reading ability (like most kids and boys in particular Tom will opt out and chose an easy book with as few words as possible so he can finish it quicker!!). Tom will be in year 3 next year.

Ali

Guest lynneand mark

Thanks for your help. Looked on the Dept of Education websites and also discovered that in Queensland my son (4) will be entitled to full time education in the new preparatory year as opposed to the old preschool part time year so thats a bonus. Just need to decide if my daughter would be better off in Y3 in WA or Y4 in Queensland!! Its a whole year of schooling difference! Yet another factor to consider in deciding which side of the country to live in!!!

Archived