Should we stay or should we go?

Guest lottiep

I've only been in Australia 3 months, my husband and 3 children moved to Darwin in October and I already know that I don't want to grow old here or die in this country. My heart and home is in Scotland and I have every intention of returning there after my husbands 3 year contract, there is absolutely nothing that could make me stay.

Like many of you I miss the cold, snow, decent shopping, decent TV, long summer nights, dark winter nights, I don't want to get stung by a jellyfish or half eaten by a croc while walking the beach, I want my kids to enjoy playing in the garden without the worry of snakes or spiders and skin damage, I want to drink in British pubs and eat good pub grub and I want a life without bloody ants and humidity.

Hi Julz,

I do feel for you. I was born in Australia but couldn't possibly live in Darwin - I think it is the most challenging place to live. And you arrived at the most challenging time of the year - in the buildup to "the wet". But I wouldn't like you to think that Darwin IS Australia.

It's unfortunate that your husband couldn't get his contract in Tasmania - then you wouldn't have to put up with humidity, ants, crocs, jellyfish, snakes and spiders (or the latter two only if you chose to live near bushland, and then only in the warmer months). And you would have long summer evenings, dark winter nights, cold and snow. And lots of Scottish place names around you! But the shopping and TV are probably not a whole lot better. (Good bookshops and libraries though!)

My English mum migrated to a tropical area in the days before airconditioning. She loathed it too ( but was very happy once she moved to Tasmania). So your situation really resonates with me. All the best.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi all great site for discussing the real issues involved in the great migration downunder. This is my first post so i will begin. Me and my partner have lived in Australia for 6 years now, we have lived in Brisbane and various parts of Melbourne as well as on the Penninsular in Mount Martha, We have been back to the Uk for holidays twice and loved it both times. We have no Children and no Family in Australia and have hit a point were it is now obvious that Australia has become a very different place to what it was 6 years ago it is now Expensive for Food, Utilities, Cars, Health care, Education, Taxes and Stamp Duty and House Prices which are in for a significant correction given the levels of Debt average joe blogs is holding in my opinion. Making plans to return home to Lancashire in april after spending at least 2 years living in limbo trying to settle in a country which is very inward looking and isolated in a way which is not going to change. I could go on and on about positives and negatives for both Australia and the Uk but bottom line and always will be is its WHERE YOUR HEARTS AT otherwise limbo is something you have to learn to deal with as the years roll on not easy at all .:biggrin:

We've been here two years and I agree wholeheartedly with what you've said in this post. Home is where your heart is....cliche yes but oh so true. :cute:

Archived