school zones

Guest zoensim

Guest zoensim

help! does anyone know how i can find out which schooll zone and address in melbourne would be in...we are looking for a rented property and want to be fairly close to school as i don't drive. i've checked the school nearest and we are not in their zone so i have checked the next one and we are not in theirs either! how big are the school zones. does any one know of a website that shows the school zones? ps do you get used to the heat...we have never been this hot in our lives.....

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

Welcome to Melbourne, yes it does get hotter but then tends to get cooler giving us a break. We have lived here nearly 5 years and still struggle with the heat lol:) However, we do feel the cold now where as when we first arrived we would be walking around in T shirts and shorts in the middle of winter.

In regards to zoning, have you already found your rental property or an area you want to settle?

It is usually a case of calling the nearest school to where you live and this will be in your zone. Some schools don't bother with zoning at all it all depepnds on school and area.

Kate

Guest zoensim

we are looking round brighton, brighton east hampton sandringham that kind of area. we have seen a property and it seems just outside the zone for brighton primary. i looked at the nearest school on map gardenvale and it was just outside their zone too...perhaps it is just the map that is not right it is closest to brighton primary though! maybe i should just phone them

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi

Definately give them a call, like I mentioned some schools don't even bother with the zoning. You are best finding a property you like and then checking the nearest school and giving them a call.

When we were looking last year, a couple of schools told us to get a Melways and using a ruler see which is the closest school to you and they are required to offer you a place. Trust me, this is not easy.

We went to another school and they said that all vic schools phone a specific number to check when near the zone edge. We were given the number, but never used it as we found a place soon after. Sorry, can't find it, but will post if I do.

When you find an address use Melways to check the schools closest, then try to find that school on the web. The popular ones often have a map of their zone. We found some were very strict (don't even consider being one street outside). But as someone else said, some have no zones.

For us strict zones applied for popular secondary schools such as Mount Waverly and Glen waverly. Most schools in the surrounding areas to those seemed to have zones as well.

We ended up in East Doncaster Secondary and had to show a year long rental agreement when we enrolled.

Note also that some of the schools said that if you move out the zone later, your child may lose their place. Did not see any evidence of this as a few people we met did just that and had no problems, but might apply for the really popular schools.

I cant find any maps for Vic unlike ACT and Qld which definitely have them. The definition of "designated neighbourhood school" appears to be applied these days and at least in the Eastern Metropolitan area is defined as the school which is the closest to the home in a straight line. Check the links on here Department of Education and Training - Eastern Metropolitan Region I would imagine that other regions would have similar criteria

Guest zoensim

thanks everyone for that i will def have to buy a melways then i think. also sorry if i don't respond as quick as i would like but our internet is not very good here. we have bought one of those prepaid ones and it keeps cutting out on us.

thanks everyone for that i will def have to buy a melways then i think. also sorry if i don't respond as quick as i would like but our internet is not very good here. we have bought one of those prepaid ones and it keeps cutting out on us.

You dont have to buy a Melways - Google maps is your friend as is Whereis.com - they will measure it for you too.

Archived