Decisions and Recon!!!

Guest BritishGlobeTrotterII

Guest BritishGlobeTrotterII

Hello Hello!

Sorry that this might be a long post. We have been here before when first looking at Oz. We keep coming back to it so something must be telling us to go....so we are! So, I would be so grateful for advice....

Firstly, we are going on a recon mission in a month...anyone know of good places to rent a holiday home? We don't know who is good and who isn't?

How long did the 175 visas take for you all?

And, what areas would people recommend that we look at to live? I need to be near a hospital and ideally my OH would like to be a stone's throw from beach (don;t we all???). What would prices be like for these ideals???

Thanks a million!

We didn't rent any holiday accommodation so I don't know what's good, but Julie will probably answer your post.

Have a look on www.aussiemove.com they have a map of suburbs surrounding perth, you'll be able to look up average house prices. In general the nearer to the beach or river the more you pay, e.g. the apartments being built near south beach in Freo will go for a million + $. but you may get something further north or south at a more affordable price.

Good luck

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi and welcome to PomsinOz - it's a great site!!!

Lots of Luck with all of your plans...!!! :yes:

Dan :-) :smile:

We have booked through both www.stayz.com.au and www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/perth

However these are only sites that private owners advertise on so there is no guarentee of quality or security for monies paid.

On our reccie we stayed in:

www.stayz.com.au/30450

The location was good but the decor etc. a bit shabby - it'd been the owners family home & that's what it looked like - we went there after a 5* spa in Singapore so perhaps made unfair comparisons. No complaints at all about the service though - nice, honest people.

We booked temporary accomodation too but I wouldn't recomend that as a holiday stay - inner city, no pool but an absolutely wonderful owner...met us at the airport, brough us a cooked meal for the first night & even took us out at Christmas!

As for living that's the million $ question - for us we based it on 'no more than an hour commute door to door', within cycling distance to beach & proximity of good schools.

I don't know anything about location of hospitals - there's one in Perth CBD, one in Fremantle, another Armadale but probably many more too. The good thing for you is you probably don't need to base yourselves near the city centre where house prices are the highest ($1 million plus for close to the beach and city)

To get a typical 4X2 near the beach for around $500K you really have to go 30km+ North or South but a suburb in can make a huge difference - we're 2km from South Beach (& there is a cycle path from the bottom of our street) and a 4x2 is half the price of the apartments Ali mentions.....I am lusting after a plot there.....$775K ......dream-on :)))

Jules

We have booked through both www.stayz.com.au and www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/perth

However these are only sites that private owners advertise on so there is no guarentee of quality or security for monies paid.

On our reccie we stayed in:

www.stayz.com.au/30450

The location was good but the decor etc. a bit shabby - it'd been the owners family home & that's what it looked like - we went there after a 5* spa in Singapore so perhaps made unfair comparisons. No complaints at all about the service though - nice, honest people.

We booked temporary accomodation too but I wouldn't recomend that as a holiday stay - inner city, no pool but an absolutely wonderful owner...met us at the airport, brough us a cooked meal for the first night & even took us out at Christmas!

As for living that's the million $ question - for us we based it on 'no more than an hour commute door to door', within cycling distance to beach & proximity of good schools.

I don't know anything about location of hospitals - there's one in Perth CBD, one in Fremantle, another Armadale but probably many more too. The good thing for you is you probably don't need to base yourselves near the city centre where house prices are the highest ($1 million plus for close to the beach and city)

To get a typical 4X2 near the beach for around $500K you really have to go 30km+ North or South but a suburb in can make a huge difference - we're 2km from South Beach (& there is a cycle path from the bottom of our street) and a 4x2 is half the price of the apartments Ali mentions.....I am lusting after a plot there.....$775K ......dream-on :)))

Jules

Where do you get $500 k 30km from ,for the plot a small one yes ,burns beach and jindalee next to beach bout $700 k for the sandpit (block) South beach down wind from the chemical works nah

Mally

Archived