Melbourne weather

UKtoOZ

After talking to some aussies on an unrelated forum, they explained the lack of pools in Melbournian homes as due to the cold weather.

Now I need some input from those that have actually had COLD weather before.

From what I'm seeing, the climate sounds excellent, as variable as the UK, but 10-15 degrees hotter. 39 a few days ago, 17 the day after.

Shock, horror, 17C!!!:biglaugh:

Surely this is hot enough for a bloody pool, no?

So, how good is the weather then?

Sorry, I know it's bad form to post again to my own thread, but I just read another Melbourne weather thread, doh!:policeman:

Sounds pretty sweet to me, none of this 35C and humid carry on. But come on, it's still pool weather man!

When we came over in August we stayed in St Kilda. Wind was whipping up, it was cloudy and cool (maybe 15 degrees). Everyone was telling us it was the coldest ever and they were freezing. We couldn't believe it. It was the middle of winter in Oz and after the awful UK summer we had just been through, temperatures were almost the same. For us it was sweltering (for winter of course).

Around about Xmas time it dropped to about 19 degrees, showers and cloudy. We had the heating on !!! It felt freezing. I think you get used to things. it has been dissappointing weather here for the summer, but seems to be warming up now. Having one 30 plus day then a cool one seems great and I don't envy Perth having weeks over 30. Just wouldn't mind a bit of consistency. We had a high 20's clear blue sunshine yesterday and went to the beach. Today it is expected to be the 30's. I love it ! One day later this week they are expecting 19 and showers and you do seem to feel the 'cold'.

There will be plenty of days when you can use the pool, especially if you are the hardy type, but you may be surprised how you soften up a bit after leaving the UK.

When we came over in August we stayed in St Kilda. Wind was whipping up, it was cloudy and cool (maybe 15 degrees). Everyone was telling us it was the coldest ever and they were freezing. We couldn't believe it. It was the middle of winter in Oz and after the awful UK summer we had just been through, temperatures were almost the same. For us it was sweltering (for winter of course).

Around about Xmas time it dropped to about 19 degrees, showers and cloudy. We had the heating on !!! It felt freezing. I think you get used to things. it has been dissappointing weather here for the summer, but seems to be warming up now. Having one 30 plus day then a cool one seems great and I don't envy Perth having weeks over 30. Just wouldn't mind a bit of consistency. We had a high 20's clear blue sunshine yesterday and went to the beach. Today it is expected to be the 30's. I love it ! One day later this week they are expecting 19 and showers and you do seem to feel the 'cold'.

There will be plenty of days when you can use the pool, especially if you are the hardy type, but you may be surprised how you soften up a bit after leaving the UK.

Sounds fine to me!

I walk about in a t-shirt in 10+ degrees so I think I will enjoy the "cold" for a while. At least until I lose some of my blubber that is:biggrin:

Guest Hello Kitty
After talking to some aussies on an unrelated forum, they explained the lack of pools in Melbournian homes as due to the cold weather.

From what I'm seeing, the climate sounds excellent, as variable as the UK, but 10-15 degrees hotter. 39 a few days ago, 17 the day after.

We have a pool here in Melbourne and the kids have been in the pool since late September. It is a must that you have solar heating though. If you have solar heating it extends the time you can use the pool from 3 months without solar heating to 6 months with solar heating. Solar heating is cheap to run and relatively cheap to install. The temp of the pool at the moment is about 28 celsius. When it is a hot day it switches itself off at 32 degrees water temp.

The weather this week is lovely sunny and warm. This summer hasn't been as hot as usual and we have only had a few days over 35 but summer has just begun really and we still have all of Jan/Feb and March which is often warm too.

I think Melbourne weather is lovely with 4 distinct seasons but much warmer than most of Europe. Melbourne winter would be equivalent of Rome.

Guest IrishInOz

I like the Melbourne/Victoria weather because it is not hot all the time and it is not cold all the time and thus you have the seasonal changes.

As they say, " Never complain about the weather in Melbourne because it will change":wink:

Never mind a pool... most of the time it's not even warm enough to sit in the garden. Been here a year and can count on 2 hands the number of days i've sat in the garden. Were going to get a pool installed, but now not bothering - would be a waste of money. Now I understand why not many people have pools around here!

PS: i'm originally from the Hebridies, so I know all about cold weather!

Guest Trina Findlay

Hi,

The thing which has struck me most about the weather in Victoria is how much it can vary day to day. It can go from 30 degrees one day to 18 the next.. I arrived right at the beginning of winter, and while it's not as cold as UK winters, it certainly felt cold enough to me - it got down to single figures and seemed to last for ages!

Still warmer than UK though, just very very unpredictable! - oh, and our neighbours have a pool, so it can't be that cold!

Hope that helps

Trina

Guest Hello Kitty
Never mind a pool... most of the time it's not even warm enough to sit in the garden. Been here a year and can count on 2 hands the number of days i've sat in the garden. Were going to get a pool installed, but now not bothering - would be a waste of money. Now I understand why not many people have pools around here!

Where are you living - on top of a windswept mountain or something.

As I mentioned in my previous post we have been using our pool since september and will be using it until late March. The water has been lovely and warm around 25 - 30 celsius (with solar heating). Maybe it is your location but in the past year we would have been sitting, walking, riding, swimming outside more times than I could possibly count.

It amazes me when I see posts like that! Since I arrived here I have lived in 3 places: 1 in the city, 2 in Bayside and 3 in Melton. I work in an office 8-4 every day, so I am talking about weekends, evenings, and holiday time (which I would guess most people are interested in). By the time I get home most nights it is too cold or dull or windy to sit outside. Same goes for weekends, and every holiday we have had it has been too cold or miserable to do much in the way of water sports (in fact our first attempt at camping was an absolute washout for the whole 3 days).

So.... you could sit outside if you had a fleece, hat and gloves on... but what's the point of that?

Guest ashmalog

nice to see you are still with us and can't believe you have been there a year already. do u think u will stay in melbourne?:unsure:

Can't believe it's been a year either! It's funny that you ask.... we are going to Sydney this weekend with a view of moving up there. We were in the process of building a house in Melbourne but have decided to pull out. We made the tough decision that it just isn't for us and so there is no point in staying. We had some friends over from the UK who were looking at moving to Melbourne. The day they left they told us they were now going to choose Sydney (even though we are in Melbourne) - this has kind of confirmed what we thought and helped us to decide that we need to move (btw - we only showed them the nice parts of Melbourne)!

So, we are going up to look around Sydney this weekend and if we like it will start planning to move. The only stumbling point so far is the Victorian SMP - I have a victorian sponsored visa (which someone told me I could get out of) - I sent them an email saying I want to move to NSW and they replied saying that I can't! I have sent them another email back but no reply as yet. Either way, if we have to stay here another year, so be it!

We were never that impressed with the place - ok... it has it's good points and we have had some good times, but the poor weather has just done us in completely.

Will post my Sydney findings when we get back!

Guest IrishInOz

So, how are you going in Melbourne today @ 38% and rising?

Guest Pete da Wombat

Buck i'm sure Sydney will suit you better because it is a sub tropical climate compared to the temperate climate down here therefore the nights are much warmer but i dont like the humidity. If you have to stay in vic you must use the weather forecasts when choosing holiday and camping destinations, anywhere north of macedon will be dry and clear skies generally from dec to may but if you want to visit the coast check a storm isnt going to brush past and freeze or flood you out. Vic is a lot bigger than you think!

I have to say as an ex-Cumbrian living in Melbourne for the last 14 mnths, the weather is terrific ... granted not as hot as last Dec (2007) , but we are heating up nicely..... we have a pool here and have been using it for the last 3mnths , as for not being able to sit out my hubbs works 7am - 7pm and we sit out most evenings .... i suppose its what your used to , but in my opinion compared to the UK weather (which i actually love) its verging on tropical lol :biglaugh:... mildest winter last year i have ever encountered in my life .... so no complaints from this quarter about Melbourne weather , i love it ... but i equally love my cumbrian/english weather too , advantages to both ..... :cute:

Always good to hear from you Buck. Where has that year gone?

I hope things are better for you now than they were this time last year...have we had an update of late?

All the best for your trip to Sydney.

The Buckbuchanan fan club :notworthy:

Guest Pete da Wombat

For all those people who believe it never gets hot in Melbourne here is the forecast for the week

Melbourne Forecast

Issued at 4:20 pm EDT on Monday 26 January 2009

for the period until midnight EDT Monday 2 February 2009.

Warning Summary at issue time

Nil.

Details of warnings are available on the Bureau's website Home Page - Bureau of Meteorology, by telephone 1300-659-217* or through some TV and radio broadcasts.

Forecast for the rest of Monday

Clear. Winds south to southeasterly averaging up to 35 km/h.

Forecast for Tuesday

Sunny. Winds northeast to southeasterly averaging up to 20 km/h tending mainly southeast to southwesterly around midday.

City

Sunny.

Min

Max

Around Melbourne

Frankston

Min

Max

Geelong

Min

Max

Tullamarine

Min

Max

Laverton

Min

Max

Yarra Glen

Min

Max

Scoresby

Min

Max

Mount Dandenong

Min

Max

Watsonia

Min

Max

Maximum Fire Danger: Extreme

UV Alert from 9:40 am to 5:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 10 [Very High]

Forecast for Wednesday

Sunny. Winds northeast to northwesterly averaging up to 30 km/h tending mainly southwesterly around midday.

City

Sunny.

Min

Max

Forecast for Thursday

Sunny. Winds northeasterly averaging up to 30 km/h tending mainly southwesterly up to 40 km/h around midday.

City

Sunny.

Min

Max

Forecast for Friday

Sunny. Light winds.

City

Sunny.

Min

Max

Forecast for Saturday

Sunny. Light winds tending south to southwesterly up to 20 km/h during the afternoon.

City

Sunny.

Min

Max

Forecast for Sunday

Cloudy. The chance of thunderstorms later in the day. Light winds.

City

Cloudy.

Min

Max

Forecast for Monday

Cloudy. Isolated showers. Light winds.

City

Shower or two.

Min

Max

The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:00 am EDT Tuesday.

* Calls to 1300 numbers cost around 27.5c incl. GST, higher from mobiles or public phones.

I believe Buck caused this :wink:, i hope he doesnt post about never seeing a spider or snake we could all be in deep trouble.

Cheers Pete

Hi

I sat on the beach at Williamstown yesterday for 2 hours and it was 24 degrees (felt like 34), and after 2 hours you could see where I missed with the suncream. It would be nice though to get some of the rain that Queensland gets.

When the weather people here in Melbourne forecast a high of say 28, that could mean anything, it could be that 28 Connex trains are cancelled, 28 aussies crash their cars cos they are crap at driving etc.

I would get pretty fed up if the summer temperatures were constantly in the high 30s, that's one of the reasons why we chose melbourne, for the great variety in weather. Even back in October we had 3 saturdays on the trot where the temperature reached at least 29 degrees.

Having just said that, there has just been a weather warning for melbourne on the news (while I'm typing). They've forecast the hottest summer for 100 years, 4 days on the trot where the temperature is at least 40!

Good job the fridge is stacked up with Guinness.

Jim

Guest proud2beaussie
Can't believe it's been a year either! It's funny that you ask.... we are going to Sydney this weekend with a view of moving up there. We were in the process of building a house in Melbourne but have decided to pull out. We made the tough decision that it just isn't for us and so there is no point in staying. We had some friends over from the UK who were looking at moving to Melbourne. The day they left they told us they were now going to choose Sydney (even though we are in Melbourne) - this has kind of confirmed what we thought and helped us to decide that we need to move (btw - we only showed them the nice parts of Melbourne)!

So, we are going up to look around Sydney this weekend and if we like it will start planning to move. The only stumbling point so far is the Victorian SMP - I have a victorian sponsored visa (which someone told me I could get out of) - I sent them an email saying I want to move to NSW and they replied saying that I can't! I have sent them another email back but no reply as yet. Either way, if we have to stay here another year, so be it!

We were never that impressed with the place - ok... it has it's good points and we have had some good times, but the poor weather has just done us in completely.

Will post my Sydney findings when we get back!

So you're moving to Sydney for the better weather?Well having lived in every state of Australia I can tell you you will be very disappointed.

If you check out Australian Historical Climate Data

you will see that the average daily maximum temperature for most months of the year in Sydney is within 1 or 2 degrees,Sydney has higher average rainfall than Melbourne and although in some months Melbourne has more days with rain ,averaged out over the year the difference is negligible

Sydney is also much more humid than Melbourne and the summers can be unbearable.

Move to Sydney if you think the lifestyle is more suited to you,but don't do it for the weather-you'll be sorry.

There are people who like pools and those who do not. Neighbour across the road has one never uses it, neighbour over the back fence has one never uses it. They have tennis courts too and do not use them. Just fills the block so there is less grass to mow.

My friend has a wonderful pool cost an absolute fortune and they use it all the time winter and summer as its heated solar and gas so it was money well spent for them.

A lot of people have indoor pools too these days, lap pools etc.

Topping them up is a problem too at the moment as supposed to be only topped up with a bucket on our water restrictions.

There are people who like pools and those who do not. Neighbour across the road has one never uses it, neighbour over the back fence has one never uses it. They have tennis courts too and do not use them. Just fills the block so there is less grass to mow.

My friend has a wonderful pool cost an absolute fortune and they use it all the time winter and summer as its heated solar and gas so it was money well spent for them.

A lot of people have indoor pools too these days, lap pools etc.

Topping them up is a problem too at the moment as supposed to be only topped up with a bucket on our water restrictions.

Tomorrow its going to be 38 Wed 40 and the same on Thursday right up to Saturday so a pool would be good this week.

Guest heather j

Hi All i would love a cool day here in Perth its just hot hot hot, sometimes to hot to do anything,i never thought i would moan, When we came here we had this strange idea that we would have a pool and aircon and alfresco yer right can just about afford to pay the bills and eat..The beach and parks are fab but a little boring when thats all you seem to do !!!! too hot for me im off to Melbourne, sounds perfect...

Archived