is the IELTS test difficult

pmf1977

First of allm hello to everyone.

My wife and I along with our twins and our unborn baby are hoping to move to oz in the not to distant future.

I have sent my application to the ACS and am awaiting a reply.

My IELTS test is booked for Saturday and I was just wondering how easy or difficult it is.

I have looked at some of the practice papers but not read through them thoroughly as at first glance it all seems pretty straight forward for a native brit.

Any comments?

do I need to revise?

Guest Allsopps3

My wife and I along with our twins and our unborn baby are hoping to move to oz in the not to distant future.

My IELTS test is booked for Saturday and I was just wondering how easy or difficult it is.

I have looked at some of the practice papers but not read through them thoroughly as at first glance it all seems pretty straight forward for a native brit.

Any comments?

do I need to revise?

Hi, Paul.

You just need to have your wits about you, especially for the reading section.

Some of the answers are a bit ambiguous, i.e. yes, no,NOT GIVEN. If it doesn't say something in black and white, don't write it down!! Grammar is also important in the writing section. My English is good and I got 9 in writing, listening and speaking but only 7.5 in reading! I found it useful just to practice writing the number of words asked for,(can't remember how many), just to get a feel for the time it took.

Good luck, though. Let us know how you get on.

Tracey.

However confident you feel, it is definitely good to have an idea of what is to be expected in the actual exam. I did several hours of practice papers, especially the essay as its one thing writing what they want, but to do it in the time allowed and with the correct number of words. !! I did pass OK but was surprised at my scores. The section I thought was easiest I got the lowest score ! (still more than the 7.0 required). My wife had to also sit the IELTS to prove her English ability, and only had to score 4.5 on average (as she is not holding a UK passport), but with a day of practice, she scored as good as me!

I agree with the others. Practice very hard - although you wont have much time. Expect the worst!! My husband hadnt been to school for years and didnt do paperwork daily etc etc. Trades person. Anyway, he expected the worst, very strict conditions, can only take in pens pencils etc into the room, timed on all topics. He was told to speak for 2 minutes on a topic - the topic was 'Businesses in Rural Areas of Australia'. Luckily friends of ours have a business in a rural area, so OH was able to talk none stop about that. If that had been my topic I would have frozen.

You have to talk continuously about your topic without any pauses or hesitations etc.

OH did really well we were so proud he got an 8. We were jumping for joy when the certificate arrived!!

Good Luck. At the end of the day you can only try your best.

Guest benedict1

Any comments?

do I need to revise?

Yes yes yes! You do need to revise!

I found the reading module the most difficult (and I went to a UK university)

The problem I found was the technique of 'skimming and scanning' My children were taught this at school so when they looked at my practice papers, they found it REALLY easy. I wasn't taught these techniques when I was at school in the 70's and I found the Reading module difficult. Listening - very simple but you have to concentrate at all times. Writing also very easy if chosen topic is interesting. Speaking - well, I am female, so never a problem!

Good Luck!

Well, I scanned through one of the practice papers and it looked pretty simple.

Wasn't good when I turned up at Liverpool University and there were a couple of people on their second try at the test though.

I found it all pretty easy as long as you paid attention and concentrated. Finished the reading and writing well within the time limit. I had enough time to double check all my answers.

The Listening however I found you had to read 2 questions in advance and pay close attention otherwise you weren't sure if you have missed the information.

I also found some of the information on the listening test a bit vague and to me it didn't really answer the questions.

No idea how well the speaking test went. I just waffled about family as this was the topic.

A couple of times I didn't really have anything to say to the questions and just had to say that.

I will post my results when I get them.

Maybe I'm over confident but it really didn't seem that difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

well done!!!!!

Im abit new to all this, could someone let me know if it is just the main applicant or all of us that have to take the IELTS test?

thanks

lee

Archived