Telstra Tower,Black Mountain,Canberra

Guest proud2beaussie

Guest proud2beaussie

A must see if you are anywhere near Canberra (Quoll?) is the Telstra Tower at Black Mountain.

Formerly known as Telstra Tower, Black Mountain Tower is one of Canberra’s top attractions. The tower is located in a beautiful nature reserve and boasts 360-degree views of Canberra and the surrounding countryside. Follow one of the walking tracks on Black Mountain for picture perfect views over Canberra, and see habitats for many native plants and animals including the ringtail possum. Enjoy views from the viewing gallery or the two open viewing platforms.

The tower plays a vital role in Australia's telecommunication network and visitors can enjoy the history of telecommunications in Australia through a 'hands-on' experience when exploring the "Making Connections" exhibition featured in the tower.

Further_Information.gif

Further Information

• Located within the tower is a souvenir shop, cafe and the fine dining revolving restaurant, Alto.

Entry Fees

• There is an admission charge to tower

Site Facilities Carpark

, Public Toilets, Restaurant(s), Sheltered Area, Coach Parking, Shop / Kiosk

Disabled Facilities Access, Dedicated Parking

I have been there a couple of times and the views are pretty special.

Hmm, Nigel, I dont know that I would describe it a a "must see" - you sort of cant miss it :twitcy: because it stands on the hill like some sort of space tower - I've got used to it now but at first I thought it was a blot on the skyline.

If you can afford (take out second mortgage) it there is a very nice rotating restaurant (well, it used to be nice, has changed hands and got mixed reviews recently) and during the course of a meal you go round one and a bit times (or twice if you eat slowly!). BTW you dont have to pay the Tower entry price if you go to the restaurant!

Personally I prefer the altogether free view from the top of Mt Ainslie which more clearly describes the planning of Walter Burley Griffin and you can get a nice free view and a coffee from the top of Red Hill as well.

However, thanks for advertising Canberra, it does have some very good points!

• 11 months later...

haha, you wanna think about cold snowy Manchester and the things you can do for free here!! That amounts to pretty much nowt! Roll on visa processing that all I can say. Oh and a very Merry Christmas to you all too :-)) See you in ACT whenever we get there.

Archived