Alice Springs

Guest Munkey

Hello!!

My husband and I are currently living over in Perth but it seems we will soon be moving to a small community west of Alice Springs. The idea is that every couple of weeks we'll drive into Alice Springs for a weekend and maybe think about buying a property there.

Can anyone give any advice or suggestions on Alice Springs, nice areas etc. Anyone out there who would accept us as part-time friends (please :notworthy:)

Cheers all, hope to hear from you

Sarah (27)

Stu (37)

No, No, No!!! :embarrassed: We live in Perth at the moment but moving nearish to Alice Springs, it'll be a 3 hr drive from there

Guest PommieLady
moving nearish to Alice Springs, it'll be a 3 hr drive from there

Blimey you're brave, or have you lived bush/outback a lot?

i've spent a few weeks round alice and uluru and camping in the general area, must agree with the others its a whole new ball game, a pretty tought place and the abos aren't always that freindly.

PP just a heads up - abos is derogatory and really not used in nice company even if it is quicker to type than aborigines.

Guest PommieLady
PP just a heads up - abos is derogatory and really not used in nice company even if it is quicker to type than aborigines.

:eek:Sorry didn't even notice, I've obviously been here to long

sorry point taken, i very rarely spend my time in polite company, its just what every aussie i've spoken too have said.

LOL you must be in Queensland! Rednecks the lot of them. Not your fault and I am sure you wont do it again:yes:

wow munkey.. i think it'll be an adventure - and may be hard - but good on you! are you moving for work?

Sarix - thank you soooo much! :hug: Understand totally its going to have its tough times but overall will be very much worth it. You do not understand how your message has made me smile.

An adverture it will be, you only live once hey? And what's the worse that can happen, don't like it after a few months and move on.

Yeah it will be for work as a Youth Development implementing sport and recreational activities to the children but also to the whole community.

oh I'm glad it made you smile! listen - i've moved around for work too - i'm originally from sydney but currently in Darwin.. have been out to a few communities.

It sounds like you're being completely realistic about the whole thing. Therefore - you will have heaps of fun

Guest crone99

I wish you good luck aswelll, traveled their in the 1980's was nice enough then, and sure its much more built up and modern now though,

:hug: goood luck,

Guest wiccanwitch

just thought i would bring this to front and hope that maybe somone will shed some light on it

after getting a post from a member on a nother forum

this is what they said

that i must be mad to want to go and live in alice springs

there is much unrest at the moment with the aborignails

they say thst they are mugging and assulting white people

and that someone had gone into there daughter bedroon after hearing some noises to find a person in there daughters bedroom there daughter was 8 at the time they think this man was trying to r..e her ?

they also say that there are drunks on every corner ?

it is now the crime capitail on australia ?

and that anyone that wants to live there must be mental

so has alice springs gone into melt down ?

• 4 months later...
Guest linda manning

:mad:what a load of rubbish i moved to alice 3 years ago from the uk and i have 4 children and hubby it is a great place weather fantastic people are so friendly, social life is great. jobs abundance and fantastic opportunity my daughter bought her first house at 18 would nt be able to do that in bloody uk. we love it dont read the news papers guys great place. it is if you re not a winging pom because many of you guys are.

Guest Guruju

I say good luck to you if you are going with your eyes wide open. I worked in communities myself and have seen both good things and really terrible things happen.

I hope you have done/do some homework on the community situation and ensure that your accommodation is not in disrepair, has all the features you need and is secure. It may be worth flying to the Alice (2hrs from Perth) and doing a reccie before committing.

It can seem a bit like working in a third world country with a whole new culture, language and value system to learn, along with poverty, and other social issues. It can also be rewarding to help work with the community to try and change things. I worked in the Kimberley and ended up with the skin name Nagada. This name is assigned to the grandmothers who look after everybody, particularly the children mainly because the parents (their words not mine) "are the lost generation to prison, drugs and alcohol". I wasn't that old but it was more about my nature and how I treated people that put me in the same group as the grandmothers.

I saw some amazing places and met amazing people that I will never forget from the Kimberley and Arnhem Land in the NT.

It will change your life - it certainly changed my perspective on things.

Cheers

Julia

• 1 month later...
Guest wiccanwitch

linda am with you on this one if i could i would love to work and live in alice springs

i have done so much research in to ask gollywobbler she has done some too i know there is jobs foe me and scott but it looks like i wont ever get there due to me having TB 23 yrs ago which is a bumer

and linda i would be bringing 5 kids over with us

most people on here dont want the outback and all that

they want the pool the beach and nice houses

me i just want a chance to change mine and the kids lifes

and a place is what you make of it if you want it to be bad then it will be

its about mind set

hope you have many more yrs in alice spring linda

wish i was there

regards

susan

Archived