looking for a nice suburb in brisbane?

Guest FO4

Hi , hope you guys can help, we are looking for a nice area to live with good schools, shops, etc, but not to close to the city centre,

we have been to brisbane 5 years ago for 4 months on a backpacking trip and at the time didnt think we would ever move over so didnt pay any attention to the areas.

my partner will be hoping to get a plumbing job , so not to far from the city if thats the only place he is likely to find a job.

would be looking to rent a 3-4 bed house

thanks

Adele & Mark:hug:

I'm an Aussie in the Uk and plan to go back to Brisbane this year. I'm from the Redland Shire in Brisbane and although probably a little bias, think that the area is great (Cleveland, Wellington Point, Ormiston, Birkdale, Victoria Point etc.) Close enough to the city limits, but yet far enough away to not be in the hussle & bussle. Close to the bays & islands, and the schools are good and generally the life-style is fab. BUT.....it does depend on what you want to spend on rent as this area is popular, hence the prices may be a little higher than you'd like. Have a look anyway - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Guest SkippyRoo

I lived in Stafford back in 1994 and that is where we will eventually be heading for again as my Dad lives there.

kj and Paul

Its a shame all these threads on suburbs in Brisbane aren't on one thread, I'm trying to compile a list from so many different threads - aaagh!

So for anyone who is looking lik eme, here is my list so far:

Sinnamon Park

Wellington Point, Redlands

Flagstone Estate, Jimboomba

Cleveland

Ferny Grove

Ascot

Hamilton

anywhere in Redlandshire (according to one, possibly biased(!?) thread!)

Pacific Pines

North Lakes

Anyone who lives in Brisbane & area, please feel free to add/comment on any of the above! Just not sure how we're going to see ALL these in just a few days!

Kath & Hans

Your list certainly has variety :) I would add Paddington, Bardon, Red Hill, Toowong, Tarragindi, Wellers Hill, Bulimba, Wilston, Kelvin Grove, Wishart, Yeronga West just to confuse you :)

Maybe if you thought about what you would like your suburb to be like we could narrow it down for you.

Will you be commuting to the CBD?

If so, will you be driving or public transport?

What is the maximum time you're willing to travel by car/public transport during peak hour?

Are you more of a big block of land in quiet suburbia kind of person or small block in happening inner city suburb person?

Do you only want to look at brick houses or would you consider wooden houses as well?

Do you really want to live near water or the beach?

Do you work in an area where jobs would be available all over (teaching for example)?

What is your budget range - if you want to tell :)

Do you want to live in an area that most Brisbanites would consider up market or don't you care?

Do you want to avoid area's that snobby Brisbanites would turn their noses up at or don't you care? (Note that I mean good area's just not fashionable as too far away, too suburban or something like that)

Your list certainly has variety :) I would add Paddington, Bardon, Red Hill, Toowong, Tarragindi, Wellers Hill, Bulimba, Wilston, Kelvin Grove, Wishart, Yeronga West just to confuse you :)

Maybe if you thought about what you would like your suburb to be like we could narrow it down for you.

Will you be commuting to the CBD? No, hopefully not

If so, will you be driving or public transport?

What is the maximum time you're willing to travel by car/public transport during peak hour? 30 mins

Are you more of a big block of land in quiet suburbia kind of person or small block in happening inner city suburb person? want garden/land/pool, so probably suburbia

Do you only want to look at brick houses or would you consider wooden houses as well? whats the difference? either probably

Do you really want to live near water or the beach?beachside would be nice, or max half hour driving away

Do you work in an area where jobs would be available all over (teaching for example)?

What is your budget range - if you want to tell :)engineering industry - so you tell me

Do you want to live in an area that most Brisbanites would consider up market or don't you care? odd question! don't think we care, want good state schools as our priority

Do you want to avoid area's that snobby Brisbanites would turn their noses up at or don't you care? (Note that I mean good area's just not fashionable as too far away, too suburban or something like that)

have tried to answer some of your questions - (hope the thread is still readable as I'm not much of an expert!), so any suggestions on this.

Would be looking at AU$350,000 to AU$450,000 to spend, 4 beds, nice family orientated, community area. Anything else?

Kath

Guest Thinkright

Hi Adele and Mark

I emigrated to Brisbane from Scotland 11 years ago and it seems like it was only yesterday. I rented in a few suburbs while I was "finding my feet" and eventually decided to live in the Wellington Point/Cleveland area. It is absolutely the best location (I believe) around Brisbane. It has a great feeling of community, is close to the water and there's nothing negative about the area at all.

My husband John and I love living in the Bayside as do so many of our friends - John has a little tinny that we go out fishing in pretty regularly as we are so close to beautiful moreton bay. This area is really popular with Scots and Poms.

When are you coming out to Oz? If it is of any interest to you, we offer short term home share for people who are emigrating (we have quite a large house with a pool) and its too big for us since my daughter flew the nest. For most people, they end up having to stay in hotels (which is what i did for quite a while - it's pretty expensive and a bit impersonal) which is why I'd like to help other "expats" settle.

If you want anymore information on the area, I would be pleased to help you. I know what its like trying to make an informed decision from the internet!

Lorraine

Guest busymum1

Hi

We are moving to brisbane on the 28th feb, my husband has a job in CBD so we're unsure where abouts to live, we've looked at The Gap but we're alos looking at Cleveland, Wellington Point area. We would like to be either 30 mins walk from CBD or 30 mins on the train, having read your comments on these areas I'm liking the sound of Cleveland even more, we have a 9 year old daughter who actually loves school (hope it stays that way) so to hear that the schools are good is also good. I have one question (well I have lots but we'll get this one out of the way first) could anyone tell me what the job situation is around Cleveland, Wellington, I have always worked in an office doing anything admin, I would prefer to work within the school hours as I do here so some thing within walking distance from school would be great, or am i being unrealistic, please let me know. Thanks :)

Guest JoanneHattersley

Sinnamon Park (im there), Jindalee, RiverHills, Middle Park...all the western suburbs are nice. We have good schools and are only 12-15k from the CBD. Far enough out but not too far out!

20 mins on a bus in to the city!

Guest busymum1

Hi Joanne

Thanks for that, we have heard that the buses can be a bit hit and miss, just turn up when they feel like it, is this right?

Paula

Hi;

Depends what you're looking for. We lived in Petrie in Pine Rivers. It's just North of the city. as you enter Petrie you feel you're leaving the bustle behind and entering a quieter place, without it actually being rural. It's still not far to the centre of Brisbane and easy access out to the Sunshine coast. We were a family with young children and it really suited us.

Deb

Guest DadAgain

For the low-down on state high schools check this out:

http://www.qsa.qld.edu.au/downloads/about/qsa_stats_yr12_outcomes_07.pdf

What your interested in in %ge OP1-15 (i.e. percentage of students getting uni entrance grades).

For the last 3 years The Gap State High has always been in the top 5 state schools in Brisbane and last year topped the list. This years list will be published again early April, but its only by compounding results year on year that you get a good picture of where the better performing schools are. Good regular performers are:

The Gap

Brisbane State High (West End/South Brisbane)

Kenmore

Kelvin Grove

Indooroopilly

Redcliffe (possibly due to English invasion!)

FWIW I love The Gap - 20min bus ride to CBD and a fantastic community atmosphere nestled in amongst the trees and surrounded by protected untouched rainforest....

I live in Brookwater nr Springfield. Springfield Lakes offers a nice family place to live in and not too expensive. Town Centre is beautiful and growing. About an hour from the Gold Coast, but only 30 mins from Southbank beach - depends what you need from a beach (no surfing at southbank!!!).

Just google "springfield Lakes"

Guest busymum1

Thank you both for the information, my husband really likes the look of The Gap, so knowing the school is good is very helpful, we have so many areas to look at now and only three weeks to find a house once we het there, please keep the info coming as it' all helpful.

Paula :)

Archived