Melbourne and climate

Guest BunnyM

Guest BunnyM

Hi there,

Myself and my husband are planning a move to Australia in the next few months. We live in Ireland at the moment and one of our main motivations for moving is the weather! We are tired of the rain and the grey skies and thought a move to Oz could do us the world of good smile.png

We are considering Melbourne as an option as we know some people there but the weather is a really important factor for us. We've heard of the '4 seasons in one day' theory about Melbourne and we're not sure whether to be worried! Does anyone know what percentage of the time in Melbourne it's overcast / grey / rainy. I know Melbourne is a beautiful city but we would also consider Sydney if the weather is that bad....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

B

I wouldn't worry about the weather. A lot of what you hear about Melbournes weather is a myth.

We are in the middle of the worst drought for many many years so that tells you how much rain we have had.

In Winter you will get some days overcast & cool nights but the days are normally around 14 degrees at worst & even in Winter we get many sunny days up to 18 degrees.

I love Autumn in Melbourne, not overly hot but beautiful sunny days with hardly any breeze.

You will love it.

If you look at the weather sites you will see that Melbourne rainfall is less than most other places and always has been and it is a myth as has been said. We love the rain its welcome here. Sometimes we can go weeks and weeks with none.

For me its a lovely climate a bit of everything so makes life more interesting.

Guest The Pom Queen

I think once you arrive in Melbourne and get acclimatized to the weather then winters do feel cold and this is when you will hear the locals saying it's been a cold winter etc. But let's face it apart from up in the mountains, i could probably count on 1 hand the days when it has been freezing. If we were to go back for a winter in the UK then I think it would hit home that Melbourne isn't as cold as we think, lol:)

Like Bordy says we have been in a drought and our dams are only at 38% capacity at the moment so we really do need more rain.

Take a look on our Melbourne News page as well as information on house prices in Melbourne it also has lots of information about the weather. Moving to Melbourne

Guest heieup

the 4 seasons in one day refers more to days when it can be dry and overcast in the morning and about 18 at the moment, then rain for about an hour then once the sun comes out it really warms up. In essence its that it can be REALLY changeable and really quickly. Perhaps more importantly, they have no idea what it is going to do and forecasting here is a real laugh. The weather is great, the sun is hot and it rains sometimes, could do wiht it more but on average since we arrived in November probably once in 2 weeks and then usually for a couple of hours max.

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I can take from these posts that nothing can be as bad as the weather in Ireland recently :) I'll be happy with sunshine and I like the seasons (although I think my husband would be happier with 35C every day!)

Thanks everyone for your responses. I guess I can take from these posts that nothing can be as bad as the weather in Ireland recently :) I'll be happy with sunshine and I like the seasons (although I think my husband would be happier with 35C every day!)

Tomorrow will be 37, and everybody is already commenting how warm its going to be.

Melbourne has very similar temperatures to the south of France as a simple comparison. When its cold, its not cold as you know it, it might drop to 10 degrees, and only up in the hills does it get below freezing. Not much rain, and as my wife always points out, it rains mostly at night as well !!

High twenties & low thirties are more the average in the summer, with occasionally a few high 30's & low 40's here and there.

Hot & humid for months on end like Perth can be too much of a good thing as well.

We love the weather here, and we live in the "cold" Dandenong ranges :laugh:

Guest cheshire lass

Yes weather is good here, we get several days of really hot weather like at the moment it is 37d today and has been similar for past 3 days but we know it won't last. it will be back to abou 25 which is just nice. So when it does get really hot we try to stay out of it or in water. it rarely lasts unlike other states where it goes on and on. in winter not too bad,i might put on a cardigan! Can't remember when i wore a coat. As you get in the car and park in the shopping centre all without going outside.So no need to pack the heavy coats! Also on the coast we get no frost either only inland. if we want Snow it is about 3 hour drive in July

Guest Trina Findlay

I must admit I felt that the cold took me by surprise - I did need my winter coat throughout June-September! Maybe I've just got bad circulation though.... The summer's fantastic though, love it!:yes:

I like it hot and sunny to ,which it is in Melbourne. Remember in summer it can hit 40 degree's which is hot enough. Go further up the coast and it is hotter all year and sweltering and humid all year and you will be living in air conditioning! Its a bit like Spains weather, guarentted good summer nice spring and warm Autumn a few cooler days may need a light cardi but thats it.

Guest Pete da Wombat

Here is the forecast for the week

Melbourne Forecast

Issued at 4:20 pm EDT on Monday 26 January 2009

for the period until midnight EDT Monday 2 February 2009.

Warning Summary at issue time

Nil.

Details of warnings are available on the Bureau's website Home Page - Bureau of Meteorology, by telephone 1300-659-217* or through some TV and radio broadcasts.

Forecast for the rest of Monday

Clear. Winds south to southeasterly averaging up to 35 km/h.

Forecast for Tuesday

Sunny. Winds northeast to southeasterly averaging up to 20 km/h tending mainly southeast to southwesterly around midday.

City

Sunny.

Min

Max

Around Melbourne

Frankston

Min

Max

Geelong

Min

Max

Tullamarine

Min

Max

Laverton

Min

Max

Yarra Glen

Min

Max

Scoresby

Min

Max

Mount Dandenong

Min

Max

Watsonia

Min

Max

Maximum Fire Danger: Extreme

UV Alert from 9:40 am to 5:30 pm, UV Index predicted to reach 10 [Very High]

Forecast for Wednesday

Sunny. Winds northeast to northwesterly averaging up to 30 km/h tending mainly southwesterly around midday.

City

Sunny.

Min

Max

Forecast for Thursday

Sunny. Winds northeasterly averaging up to 30 km/h tending mainly southwesterly up to 40 km/h around midday.

City

Sunny.

Min

Max

Forecast for Friday

Sunny. Light winds.

City

Sunny.

Min

Max

Forecast for Saturday

Sunny. Light winds tending south to southwesterly up to 20 km/h during the afternoon.

City

Sunny.

Min

Max

Forecast for Sunday

Cloudy. The chance of thunderstorms later in the day. Light winds.

City

Cloudy.

Min

Max

Forecast for Monday

Cloudy. Isolated showers. Light winds.

City

Shower or two.

Min

Max

The next routine forecast will be issued at 5:00 am EDT Tuesday.

* Calls to 1300 numbers cost around 27.5c incl. GST, higher from mobiles or public phones.

Not looking forward to this at all :shocked:

Archived