Car prices?

mr luvpants

I have heard that cars are a lot more expensive in oz? How much more????

We are not going for another 18 months and at present I have a fiat and I don't think Fiat are over there yet so I am thinking of buying a car soon so that I can export it over in 18 months and would like some advice as to whether this is economically viable please. Anyone else done it? Was it worth it? How much are cars over there? Is the hassle going to save me a lot of money or get me loads of aggro!

JOHN

Second hand cars are more expensive - I reckon it is because they last longer i.e. such as not so much rust etc.

On the positive side petrol and car tax is cheaper .

Where abouts are you planning to move to? Depending on where you plan to import your car to - you may have to pay import duty and take the car "over the pits" to ensure it meets Australian standards. For Europeant type cars - spare parts can also be expensive. The usual run of the mill type beasts here are your Japanese imports such as Toyotas etc (Not forgetting Fords and Holdens (Vauxhall in the UK)

From reading various posts most peaople have found it cheaper to buy here.

Tim

Fiat are in Australia they have just introduced the funky new 500 over here but whether or not Australians will warm to it is another matter, Fiat have dealers nationwide albeit sparsely New Fiat 500 - Fiat Punto - Fiat Ritmo - Fiat Australia - Official Site I would not recommend importing your car unless it was something you really cherish and want to keep long term as import duty and shipping it over will cost a bomb, you can get practically any car you want in Oz from a Ferrari to a Skoda but as the member above rightly said european parts will set you back especially at service time, they are really crafty over here as most manufacturers recommend you have your car serviced every 6 months or 10,000km unlike the UK where it is 12months or 15000miles it's the same car with the same parts. WHY IS THIS? I would avoid european cars like the plague unless you are filthy rich and don't mind paying around $500 to $800 every service interval twice a year. I made sure my car came with a 12 month service interval. At the present time you can bag a bargain on new cars as the car dealers are having a terrible time shifting them so are footing the bill for on road costs and rego as part of the deal (shame) I hear you cry......:biglaugh:

Guest grantspants

Just to add to that, I am considering importing a car from Japan into Oz when I have an address sorted out, and I believe that would involve paying 10% + 10% in import duties. If I can buy the car cheap enough at auction through a company in Japan then I think this may be worth it, looking at the prices of cars in Oz.

Failing that, i think everyones best bet is just to haggle hard, the dealerships are struggling, so it is a good time to buy I reckon.

Second hand cars are generally more expensive (ie. they hold there value) but new cars are generally cheaper. People here tend to hang onto their cars for a long time - they say things like "my car's ONLY 6 years old!!" The good side of all this is, of course, you still get a good price when you decide to change. Cars are much more what they should be - a means of getting from A to B, rather than a status symbol. In Adelaide there is no MOT test, so there is no stigma attached to driving an older car, and no snow or ice so no salt on the roads to make them rust and fall apart. Don't be put off by the advertised age of a car - make your purchase based on the condition.

You can get some idea of both new and used prices from www.carsales.com.au or www.carsguide.com.au Check out different locations too, coz prices can vary from state to state. Also, country areas in each state tend to be cheaper than metro areas when buying new.

...they are really crafty over here as most manufacturers recommend you have your car serviced every 6 months or 10,000km unlike the UK where it is 12months or 15000miles it's the same car with the same parts. WHY IS THIS?

Can't think why. My car is a Ford Focus and they only recommended 12 months or 15000 kms to me.

Guest prettyinpink

We bought 2 cars for cash and we negotiated a chunk off the asking price because we were paying cash. Over here, you can usually negotiate a reduction if you're paying cash.

We bought 2 cars for cash and we negotiated a chunk off the asking price because we were paying cash. Over here, you can usually negotiate a reduction if you're paying cash.

You get a chunk off in the uk or any where else thats the rule you do not pay their price thats for the as they say in the trade " the mug punters" they have their price and its up to you the buyer to get it, I know cousins a car dealer and he tried to rip me off :mad:

Mally

Can't think why. My car is a Ford Focus and they only recommended 12 months or 15000 kms to me.

I did say most manufacturers not all of them, my car came with a 12 month / 15000km service interval too its one of the reasons I purchased it, the car I really wanted only came with 6month / 10k service so I walked away from the deal as I am not prepared to fork out nearly a $800 a year on servicing costs.

Guest John Sydney

there is a spreadsheet with all the costs involved under transport a couple of months ago - it ended up costing more than buying the same car in Australia

As for importing from Japan - BE WARNED their is special rules apply to cars imported from Japan - IE having a Parking Permit for Tokyo for the lenght of time you owned the car -See Australian Customs website - it killed the import of Jap cars in to Australia at bequest Jap manufactures

Also when you go to sell the car you will find its value way less than an Australian version - because of the complice plate type

Hope tis helps

Archived