Moving to Melbourne (Feb)

jakc

Ive landed a job in Melbourne CBD under a 4yr 457 visa. Myself and my missus are currently awaiting the visa to be sorted out (chest x-rays on mOnday, bit more paperwork) and we expect to be in Melbourne for sometime in February.

I have lived in Melbourne (East Brunswick) for 7 months before and know my way about fairly well, particularly in the Fitzroy/Carlton sort of area.

I need to arrange accommodation before I arrive but not sure the best way to go about things. Ive put an ad on Melbourne Gumtree asking for any short term leases (< 2mths). Id like to live somewere within 30min from CBD, prefereably (but not too fussed) in the Carlton, Fitzroy, Brunswick, Northcote, Lygon Street kinda area.

Ideally id like to be able to sort something out prior to arriving. I was perhaps thinking of getting somewhere for 1-2 weeks and arranging a lot of viewings in those 2 weeks and hopefully finding somewhere. I was hoping not to stay in a hostel but thats the worst case scenario.

Would also be good if the house had at least the bare essentials such as a bed, kithen units, etc.

Apologies for the vague post - I guess im just asking for help as getting a bit too close and still have no where to live.

Would really appreciate any help.

cheers ill check that now.

any other helpful links/advice appreciated.

<EDIT>

that looks a bit on the expensive side (or am I wrong)

$800 AUD / week seems crazy when for longer term houses of the same size are cheaper by the month? I did not realise the markup for short term lease would be so much.

That price is actually pretty good for a furnished house,yes unfurnished are cheaper but stating the obvious , they are empty,lol, and it can take 3 or 4 weeks to secure on and get the keys be careful of going for somewhere that 'appears' cheap , i have seen some houses i wouldnt home my dog in never mind the family,lol, also bear in mind what the cost includes, lots charge extra for electric, telephone, water, etc so check what you actually get.As i said $800 is a pretty good price really.

Another Melbourne company is AccommodateOz.com, Andy who owns that is also a pom and they have a good reputation ,i would imagine prices are pretty similar though, still worth you checking out.

hope this helps a bit

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen
cheers ill check that now.

any other helpful links/advice appreciated.

<EDIT>

that looks a bit on the expensive side (or am I wrong)

$800 AUD / week seems crazy when for longer term houses of the same size are cheaper by the month? I did not realise the markup for short term lease would be so much.

Hi

Short term furnished accommodation is expensive, unfortunately, but like you say the sooner you can get set up in your long term rental the better it is for you. I have just priced up a campsite for one of our clients as our accommodation is booked up for their dates and for a standard cabin not en suite using the toilet/shower block on site it was $2400 for 4 weeks and for a en suite chalet it was $4330 for 4 weeks.

Remember, this is on a campsite in a cabin (like a static caravan), it doesn't include airport pick up, free car rental, free suburb tours, unlimited advice etc as some of our properties offer.:wubclub:

Guest angiebabe

Hi there, we stayed in Kate's accommodation when we arrived in August and i can tell you it's worth every penny...the help and advice you get is priceless plus she goes out of her way to help with little extras that you wouldn't normally get. Have a read of their website and compare what you would and wouldn't get from a campsite. we would have been totally lost without her.

Kate and Rob have also become great friends and can introduce you to other poms that have just arrived and are in the same boat as you.

She still helps us now and we have moved to another state!

You can't go wrong staying with them and it makes the transaction of moving here much less stressful. :notworthy:

Another Melbourne company is AccommodateOz.com

Cal x

Cant find this on the net - do you have a link for it?

A few things I should point out - I do have a couple of vague friends in Melbourne, so they might be able to pick me up from airport. Also, although it was a good 4 years ago, I did arrive in Melbourne as a backpacker and sorted out banks, medicare card and tax number so that side of things shouldnt be too tricky to setup.

But saying that, it would be nice to have some furnished place to stay at with internet to do all the nitty gritty stuff like looking for houses.

Thanks Kate for the email - however seeing as your fully booked, we really are keen on getting somewhere a bit nearer the city centre. However we wont rule out one of your further out properties just yet.

I guess the other alternative is a hostel.

Please keep the advice/links coming. Ill be getting more frantic in the upcoming weeks.

Kate/Moving to melbourne

Im getting a bit muddled so excuse me if youve already answered this Q.

I was wondering if you could provide me with some options and prices for a couple of weeks in mid-late February. I remember you saying the inner Melbourne house was fully booked. How far was the next nearest?

Its only for me and my lady and we dont need luxuries...

Thanks in advance,

Simon & Annabelle

Kate/Moving to melbourne

I was wondering if you could provide me with some options and prices for a couple of weeks in mid-late February. I remember you saying the inner Melbourne house was fully booked. How far was the next nearest?

Thanks in advance,

Simon & Annabelle

Hi Simon & Annabelle

I have a unit on Kates website in Monbulk if you are looking for affordable which is still available at the moment . Its about 45 mins to the CBD. Dont know if its close enough, but it is excellent for 2-3 people, and would save you hundreds a week if interested,

Look it up on her site, and if interested drop her a line.

Paul,

Guest The Pom Queen
Kate/Moving to melbourne

Thanks in advance,

Simon & Annabelle

Hi Simon

We do have Pauls property which is available for rent in February, if you have a look at this link it will give you some information, prices range from $450 a week: Melbourne Furnished Rental Accommodation Dandenong Ranges If you look on this link Moving to Melbourne: Accommodation Available in Melbourne it will provide you with a map with the location of all our rental properties so you can see where abouts they are in relation to the CBD. Any questions please don't hesitate to drop me a line.

Kate:wubclub:

• 1 month later...

Just to let u know, booked a hostel for our first 5 nights (arrive 24th) but unless we get lots of viewings arranged before we arrive, might be in touch to try and book one of your places up.

Ill be in touch.

Simon & Annabelle

Guest Toorak Trev
Just to let u know, booked a hostel for our first 5 nights (arrive 24th) but unless we get lots of viewings arranged before we arrive, might be in touch to try and book one of your places up.

Ill be in touch.

Simon & Annabelle

Simon

If you are arriving in Feb you will find it very difficult too turn around at the last minute to find short term accomodation (without paying hotel rates).

After looking at Kates site moving to melbourne there are real bargains on there. Including one place that actually has free car hire included! You just cannot match that sort of deal even staying in a hostel.

On average it would seem to take arrivals 3 to 4 weeks to find somewhere too rent. Others have done it sooner but wanted to move after 6 months.

When looking even if you are saying its only for 12 months make sure its a place you could live in for at least 24 months. 6 month leases are not common and not desirable by landlords. Oz accomodation and especially Melbourne is not cheap and in abundance like in the UK. Its a completely different market and posters would be wise to understand it.

Think someone also mentioned about the insurance companies taking up bulk rentals - we heard the same this morning - Expect about 3000 homes/flats to be off the market shortly - its not just the destroyed homes but also the large amount of homes needing work done (ie smoke damage).

After looking at Kates site moving to melbourne there are real bargains on there.
I was tempted by the offers on Kates website, but came to the conclusion that a 4* hostel nearer the centre would be a bit cheaper, bit more convenient for viewings, although not as comfortable and stress-free. (Just had a nother peek at her site, and everythings booked up now anyhow)

Without sounding very selfish, I did wonder how the fires would affect the rental market.

Archived