Citizenship?????

Guest sparkyinoz

Guest sparkyinoz

Was just wandering how many people wanted to gain citizenship in Australia once they were eligible, I know they have recently changed the requirements so you have to be here longer now before you can apply.

I my self came in April 07 so I just made it through on the old rules of being here 2 years then can apply. Cant wait to get my Australian passport to be be honest my son was born here so he beat me HA HA HA...

Any way just a question see what the thoughts are about wanting to keep your citizenship of birth or wanting to change??????

We will apply for citizennship as soon as we can, mostly so our son will always have the option of living in Australia wherever we decide to live.

I would see myself as having 'dual nationality' rather than 'losing' British citizenship - I will still have a British passport afterall - won't I?????

Whatever it is still likely I will have spent most of my life in Britain even if I stay here until I die(!) so it will always be part of my identity.

Jules

Guest PommieLady

I'm proud to say that I became a citizen two years ago on Australia Day.

Don't know why you want to have both passports current though? very expensive thing to do, plus you are only covered under the one you use for entry. Being Australian gives you good coverage, and I sometimes think they are generally more concerned about their citizens abroad than the Brits.

Guest fatpom
I'm proud to say that I became a citizen two years ago on Australia Day.

Don't know why you want to have both passports current though? very expensive thing to do, plus you are only covered under the one you use for entry. Being Australian gives you good coverage, and I sometimes think they are generally more concerned about their citizens abroad than the Brits.

Keeping your British passport gives you easier travel. Many countries require Aussie passort holders to apply for an entry visa (payback for Australia's visa policy maybe?). This cost can add up over time but mainly its a hassle factor thing.

I think you'd have to apply for a visa to enter the UK on an Australian passport??? Either way its a pain crossing into the EU without an EU type passport.

As for the more concern for their own citizens thing? I would have agreed with that until a few years ago but really not so sure now? The Guantanamo thing showed the Brits to be a lot more resolute about their citizens than the Aussies ever were. As for other less dramatic events it seems that until you get your case on national TV you'll be largely ignored by DFAT.

Guest JoanneHattersley

I can apply next week for mine and fully intend to. I moved to another country adn like Ali, I want to be able to have a say in how it is managed!! LOL!

A pom at heart but an honorary ozzie!

Guest proud2beaussie
I think you'd have to apply for a visa to enter the UK on an Australian passport???

No.Australian Citizens do not need a visa to enter the UK as a tourist,but having an EU passport certainly makes it easier when travelling in most parts of the world these days.I have dual citizenship and intend to hold on to it,cause I can depart Australia on my Aussie passport and enter the UK on my EU one,the best of both worlds,no immigration hassles,last time I arrived in the UK I was through the formalities and out of the airport in a little under half an hour,(mind you it was 5.30am !)

it's worth the cost of renewing both passports in my opinion.

Guest JoanneHattersley
I have dual citizenship and intend to hold on to it,cause I can depart Australia on my Aussie passport and enter the UK on my EU one,the best of both worlds,it's worth the cost of renewing both passports in my opinion.

I thought that too! I can apply in 5 days!!!

Guest PommieLady
Keeping your British passport gives you easier travel. Many countries require Aussie passort holders to apply for an entry visa.

I think you'd have to apply for a visa to enter the UK on an Australian passport??? Either way its a pain crossing into the EU without an EU type passport.

I checked when we got our Australian passport (as my husbands was due to expire) and there are a few countries that require visa's (but not on UK one) but they were very unusual destinations (can't even remember the names). To renew a British passport in Australia is $298.

My husband thought the Australian passport could slow us down in the UK, we had no problems.

Other destinations we have done with our Australian passport include Switzerland, Bali, Mauritius, Borneo & Brunei.

Perspective of protection from your country of origin I suppose is a personal one, I just remember that when we went to Fiji and there was (as usual) political issues we felt that as travelers on a UK passport they might send a rowing boat, but that Australia were more likely to 'rescue' their citizens.

:wubclub:

Guest proud2beaussie
My husband thought the Australian passport could slow us down in the UK, we had no problems

I can only relate my experiences of having travelled back and forth from the UK 5 times in the last few years and each time the immigration queue for non eu passport holders was about three times as long as the EU one,so I don't mind paying the extra to keep my UK passport ,besides as I am planning on moving back there in March I don't want any hassles about getting NI numbers etc.

That's going to be hard enough,I believe that the process of getting an NI number and NHS card is hard enough for people with UK passports! Maybe I should start a thread about what people moving to the UK need to do to get work etc in the Uk!

Guest fatpom
I checked when we got our Australian passport (as my husbands was due to expire) and there are a few countries that require visa's (but not on UK one) but they were very unusual destinations (can't even remember the names). To renew a British passport in Australia is $298.

My husband thought the Australian passport could slow us down in the UK, we had no problems.

Other destinations we have done with our Australian passport include Switzerland, Bali, Mauritius, Borneo & Brunei.

Perspective of protection from your country of origin I suppose is a personal one, I just remember that when we went to Fiji and there was (as usual) political issues we felt that as travelers on a UK passport they might send a rowing boat, but that Australia were more likely to 'rescue' their citizens.

That's interesting? I'm certain Aussie friends told me you needed a visa for the UK with an Aussie passport (when I first arrived in Aus 12 yrs ago). Either things have changed or there was something dodgy about them. :smile:

The price of a UK replacement passport has certainly gone up a fair bit since I last got mine. Might think twice about it myself??

Going to France in a couple of weeks and will use the UK passport to enter but then intend to declare myself an Australian from then on... I'm thinking its less likely they'll give grief over my poor french language skills??? :twitcy:

Guest PommieLady
immigration queue for non eu passport holders was about three times as long as the EU one

I think you're wise to keep your UK one, not only are you going back to work there but it will help with all the other paper work.

Its interesting what you said about the queue as it was similar when we arrived, but there was loads more 'agents' processessing the foreigners, (a few looked like they were going to be there all night) and they appeared to have a system for pulling the potentially hard to process from the line, we were through faster than the UK passport holders :wink:

intend to declare myself an Australian from then on...

Its a bit like Americans calling themselves Canadians, I always say I'm Australian when I'm abroad, I love to confuse people :err:

Guest proud2beaussie
but that Australia were more likely to 'rescue' their citizens.

Not only their OWN citizens,remember the pommie yachtsman who got into trouble in the southern ocean about 10 years ago? The aussie navy rescued him at a cost of thousands!http://www.defence.gov.au/news/navynews/editions/4721/topstories/story01.htm

Guest fatpom
Not only their OWN citizens,remember the pommie yachtsman who got into trouble in the southern ocean about 10 years ago? The aussie navy rescued him at a cost of thousands!NAVY News :: Top Stories

Geez! still going on about that??? :biglaugh:

They were still going on about it 8 months or so later when I arrived. It struck me as immensely peevish of the australian population or perhaps more correctly the Australian media... and still does.

Guest proud2beaussie
They were still going on about it 8 months or so later when I arrived. It struck me as immensely peevish of the australian population or perhaps more correctly the Australian media... and still does

That's probably because within a matter of hours of being rescued Bullimore had signed deals with

media organisations around the world worth hundreds of thousands of dollars but had not thought about the cost to taxpayers of his rescue,and it was only after this was politely pointed out to him that he agreed that some of the money be used to offset the cost.so I think they have the right to be "peeved"

(And yes I'm aware that there have been Aussies rescued by UK and Europe Authorities since then)

Was just wandering how many people wanted to gain citizenship in Australia once they were eligible, I know they have recently changed the requirements so you have to be here longer now before you can apply.

I my self came in April 07 so I just made it through on the old rules of being here 2 years then can apply. Cant wait to get my Australian passport to be be honest my son was born here so he beat me HA HA HA...

Any way just a question see what the thoughts are about wanting to keep your citizenship of birth or wanting to change??????

That is my next life goal, just 3 years 9 months 4 days to go..... not that i'm counting lol

Guest proud2beaussie

Originally Posted by sparkyinoz viewpost.gif

I have to admit that it took ages for me to get Aussie citizenship,I had been here 20 years before I did it,but back then I was doing my apprenticeship and I just had more important things to deal with,but one day I took the plunge,and I am glad I did,BUT I"m still British and proud of it-don't ever let anyone tell you there is anything to be ashamed of being British.

Archived