Help!! Advice needed about renting.

zoeburrell

Well, after the 2 year struggle to get the visa's and receiving them on 22nd December (I know... it IS the best Christmas present ever!!) we booked our flights and leave for Sydney on 12th January and arrive on the 14th.

In my head I had everything 'sorted'. We'd find a nice holiday let for a couple of weeks for when we first arrive and then during those 2 weeks we'd be able to find somewhere furnished to rent for 2/3 months until all of our own stuff arrives. During those months in a furnished apartment we could be looking for somewhere perfect for our longer term let. All sounds very easy and sensible.. doesn't it?!

Right now I'm struggling to find even a holiday let!! I always knew that January was school holiday time so would be busy but it seems that, unless I'm prepared to throw a LOT of money on a rental for 2/3 weeks we aren't going to find anywhere at all! Should I just be looking for somewhere 'longer term' to start with and skip the 3 week holiday let?

We are looking at andywhere around Warriewood, Northern Beaches. The children start school on 27th January at Mater Maria Catholic College and I would ideally like them to be close to that. If not close then at least on a bus route! It would be nice to be near to a beach but that really isn't a neccesity.

Does anyone know of any rental websites that I should be looking at?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :wubclub:

Oh... and Happy New Year everyone :)

Zoe xx

Hi Zoe, happy new year,

It's hard to finding rentals espec this time of year & the area you are looking for (northern beaches) very popular.

I know of a couple of places here on the central coast but thats way too far for you.

Apart from www.realestate.com.au try www.smh.com.au (sydney morning herald newpaper) www.ozrentals.com.au www.myhome.com.au

www.furnishedproperties.com.au/northern-beaches & www.gumtree.com.au

(no idea what these sites are like never been onto them just seen them in the local paper)

Good luck

stuju :-)

Guest carkyde

Hi Zoe, try www.gumtree.com.au it is like a free ads, you can also post for free on it. You could try a hostel for a few days, most of them have private rooms, not sure where in Northern Beaches apart from Manley the hostels are though. Sorry couldn't be of anymore help but good luck with move. Caroline

Guest LX_RV86

Hi Zoe:

I'm sorry I probably can't be of much help as I'm looking into Perth but the estate site I'm using is www.ljhooker.com.au you could also try www.homehound.com.au I've just done a quick search and found this site which seems to have some reasonable prices Sydney Region Accommodation on Stayz - No 1 in Holiday Accommodation Rentals but not knowing the area I can't find exact examples.

Best of luck.

Guest sparkyinoz

northern beaches furnished apt........ u must be joking they are like gold dust.... as for requesting just 2 or 3 months........... 6months are minimum rental unless like u say LOADS OF MONEY.....

Best one would be go straight for the long term rental and rough it for a bit till ur stuff comes unless u got cash upfront....... Me thinks u need do a bit of research get a calling card and start phoning the rental companies before u leave check any availability and get your name down for any listings that arrive ..... Be prepared aswell references ???? Most rentals have 2 or 3 or more people doing viewings on renting them

Thank you all for your responses, I have just spoken to my friend in Sydney who has told me about www.wotif.com and we have found an apartment in collaroy on the beach that sleeps 4 for a really good price considering its high season, so i reccommend the site if anyone else is looking!

thanks again for all your help

Zoe and co xx

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Zoe

Glad you finally found somewhere. Unfortunately, furnished rentals get booked up fast, especially in the summer months. It is very hard as you need a short term furnished rental to allow you the chance to find a long term unfurnished property. In Melbourne the long term unfurnished rental market is chaotic and the rental vacancy rate is 0.1%, this means landlords and agents can be very choosy and some rentals often end up in a bidding war. Let's hope it is better in Sydney

Good luck with your new life Down Under.

Kate

Archived