Victoria Suburbs Help!

Guest DebsnGaz

Guest DebsnGaz

Hi all,

What a fantastic site i spend hours just reading everybody's thoughts ....our situation at present is OH has secured a employer sponsorship through the company he works for in the UK who have a branch in Melbourne, they have applied for a 856 permanent visa for him/us and house is going on the market end of Jan fingers crossed it sells asap and we will be in oz for this time next year.

We have already been over for a recci and we have friends who live in Bacchus Marsh which is really nice but a bit quite for me and the two kids Zak 13 and Darcy 2 n 1/2 i fancied Geelong(gorgeous place) but hubby says its a bit too long to commute to head office does anyone have any thoughts on any nice family orientated suburbs with decent schools, sports facilities, bowling allies, pictures, parks for the kids and just shops for little o' me.

Thank you in advance for any advice :notworthy:

Debs n Gaz

x

Hi

You have probably seen this by now, but I replied to a post about the Doncaster suburbs.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/victoria/49242-doncaster.html

It seems to have everything you want, all 5-10 mins drive away. Your choices you mentioned seem quite 'rural', so not sure if you want to be further out.

We went for a bush walk about 10 mins drive north of us and were in very 'rural' countryside, but with really big houses. Not sure of prices, but places like warrandyte start to get cheaper for much bigger houses if you don't mind being further out. If you read my reply in the thread I mentioned, where we live seems to tick all your boxes !

In the eastern suburbs Doncaster and Doncaster East (bus transport/bus to Box Hill Station then train to city , Eltham, Greensborough (train lines) and Templestowe are nice. Warrandyte nice, buses only to Doncaster and Box Hill where Box Hill is a transport Hub. Also Ringwood, Heathmont, Nth Ringwood etc (get a map, you'll see the train line). Depends what you want to spend?

Guest claire9592

HI

We came back from our recci in October and fell in love with Point Cook on the West Coast, it is beautiful, modern and near to everything you could possibly want with very reasonably priced property. There are plenty of good reports if you put point cook in to the search, let me know if you would like to know anymore.

Claire, Marc and Ella

Loads of people commute from Geelong up to Melbourne (my husband works from home at the moment but will have to commute when his company opens the Melbourne office). We have just bought a house about 20mins out of Geelong in Waurn Ponds. It's great here, loads of things for the kids, great shopping, country side and fab beaches on the Great Ocean Road. Come to Geelong it's great. Good Luck. Jo

Guest DebsnGaz

Hi Alan

My Hubby's head office is Tullamarine and when i have googled the distance it tells me 1hr 7mins he thinks its too long to get there because he travels in his job as a service technician visits lots of different areas that could be a further couple hours on that journey .. i do see where he is coming from but i fell in love with Geelong when we came last year . Do you know how easy it would be to rent short term in Geelong?

Thanks for replying

Debs

Guest DebsnGaz
Loads of people commute from Geelong up to Melbourne (my husband works from home at the moment but will have to commute when his company opens the Melbourne office). We have just bought a house about 20mins out of Geelong in Waurn Ponds. It's great here, loads of things for the kids, great shopping, country side and fab beaches on the Great Ocean Road. Come to Geelong it's great. Good Luck. Jo

Hi Jo

Thanks for the info how does your eldest boy think of the place as my boy will be 13 and is into sport especially football, is their enough locally to keep them entertained? im more concerned of him settling in, which school does he attend and how does he like it ?

Thanks Jo

Guest DebsnGaz
HI

We came back from our recci in October and fell in love with Point Cook on the West Coast, it is beautiful, modern and near to everything you could possibly want with very reasonably priced property. There are plenty of good reports if you put point cook in to the search, let me know if you would like to know anymore.

Claire, Marc and Ella

Hi Claire

I would love to know more i have to keep my options open, i will try and find some reports on it.

Many thanks

Debs

If your husband is to work at Tullamarine then you could look at Sunbury, Keilor, Essendon, Pascoe Vale, Moonee Ponds, Greenvale, Taylors Lakes all suburbs in easy reach of the airport.

Realestate.com.au will give you some idea of rentals and house prices in the areas.

Geelong would be too far if I was commuting, we live with a thirty minute commute and that is enough I think.

I know of people who commute to Tullamarine from Geelong, and it is a fairly easy drive - Princes Freeway then the Western Ring Road - although like all commutes an incident en route can add half an hour to the journey.

As to travel times, I usually reckon on an hour from where we live in Geelong (Newtown) to the airport at Tullamarine, including in the morning rush hour (I tend to leave home at about 7-ish when I have a flight inter State at about 9 - I did this when I went to Brisbane the week before Xmas).

As to a choice between living in Geelong and a suburb of Melbourne - there is no choice! But I am biased of course ... :)

Happy New Year!

Short term rentals out in geelong are pretty easy, although if you want somewhere really nice you'd have to go for a 12 month one (we did) the market is quite busy but its not so bad that you couldn't get somewhere.

There are loads of people do the commute although an hour each way every day can be draining (I used to do that in the UK) but the geelong lifestyle is lovely, and as others have said unless you are going to be north or west suburbs of Melb then the drive can be the same amount of time anyway. The run up to melb is pretty easy from geelong.

We live down here and just love it

Guest SoniaInOz

I would recommend checking out Sanctuary Lakes, Point Cook, Tarneit (LOTS of new estates going up here), Truganina for nice Western suburbs.

Werribee is a bit hit and miss but the Manor Lakes area is quite nice, has its own shopping centre and land/homes are very good value.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest threeintooz

Hi Debs,

Sorry to jump in on your thread but I was interested to see you have friends in Bacchus Marsh, are they poms? We are living there to and till now havent met any one English. I didnt think there where any others here so would be good to know.

Cheers Paul

Geelong is great, lots of good suburbs, and of course the commute to Melbourne and Tullamarine will be a lot faster once the ring road opens, lots of nice suburbs like Highton, Belmont Waurn Ponds etc. Of course there may be good suburbs near the airport as suggested, sorry I am not so familiar with that area. Cheers fi

As I mentioned above, do look at Sunbury, close to airport and city, quite a nice 'community' feel about it, some nice houses/properties out there. One of the nicer suburbs near the airport if that's what you need. Lots of nice places in Melbourne, that's my biased opinion anyway - it's spread and and very big in each direction - you can usually find something that suits, and all roads/freeways/tollroads (CityLink and EastLink) lead to the city reasonably fast (except the Monash Freeway which is a pain in the you know what).

Guest The Pom Queen
Whereabouts in Melbourne will your OH be working, Debs?

The commute from Geelong to central Melbourne by car is often quicker than from some of the SE and NE suburbs of Melbourne, particularly now that the Geelong Ring Road is partially open.

Best wishes (from a resident of Geelong).

I must agree with Alan here, I think the commute from Geelong to Melbourne will be quicker than Mornington to Melbourne CBD. Once the Monash is finished then we will see but for now the Monash is just one big car park and I spent 2 years sat on there for nearly 4 hours a day:no:

Guest DebsnGaz
Hi Debs,

Sorry to jump in on your thread but I was interested to see you have friends in Bacchus Marsh, are they poms? We are living there to and till now havent met any one English. I didnt think there where any others here so would be good to know.

Cheers Paul

Hi

Yes they are Poms they have been there 3 1/2 yrs now, where are you near in Bacchus Marsh then?

Debs

Guest threeintooz

Hi Debs

Thanks for your reply, its interesting to hear that there are other poms in Bacchus Marsh. When we were researching from the uk we couldnt find anyone that new anything about it. We are living in a rented property in the part officially known as Darley, which is the north side of the freeway. We find it has everything we need day to day and its not to big, then Melton is only ten mins away and has more in the way of shops, indoor swimming pools and cinemas etc.

We are also fairly central to Melbourne, Geelong and Ballarat. I work in Laverton and it takes me forty mins to get to work and its easy driving compared to uk. We can also get to Torquay (surf coast) in about an hour and a quarter and its a fantastic beach.

Thanks

Paul

Guest Trina Findlay
Whereabouts in Melbourne will your OH be working, Debs?

The commute from Geelong to central Melbourne by car is often quicker than from some of the SE and NE suburbs of Melbourne, particularly now that the Geelong Ring Road is partially open.

Best wishes (from a resident of Geelong).

I agree, Geelong is a great place to live, and I've spoken to several people who have said that it's quicker to drive from Geelong to the CBD than from suburbs that are geographically closer. I was stunned though, when I first arrived and had interviews in Melbourne, by people's reaction when I said I was willing to commute from Geelong every day. I may as well said I was planning to travel from Sydney daily!

As for football, if your son wants to have a go at Aussie Rules, then the Geelong Cats are one of the country's best clubs so it's massive here! They won the Grand Final in 2007 and came second last year... I'm a Port Adelaide fan myself, so had to keep a low profile!!:rolleyes:

Archived