Sign in to follow this  
pj

First Post - Worthing to Melbourne in January 2006. Crikey

Hi All

First post but thanks for all the really useful info I've read so far.

Just got word this AM that I've got a job in Melbourne, they are sponsoring me and they want me to start in January. Good job we managed to exchange on our house today as well.

All I've got left to do is panic over shipping us, our cats and worldy posessions not to mention getting around all our friends, throwing a big New Years Eve party and packing up our house to move into rented for a couple of months.

Still all feels surreal and I'm not getting excited till the visas in place but hey, here we go!

I'm going to be a Recruitment Consultant for IT Sales people, so if there are of you out there, be sure to get in touch.

My other half is a Building Surveyor and stepping into the unknown a bit as his job seems to be a bit different out there or could be called a number of things and different duties expected. Still, I'm sure we'll figure it out.

Can't wait to see the sun, have a garden which isn't overlooked by another 52 people (not to mention ditchinig our constantly rowing neighbours).

I've been out to visit my sister 3 times and seen a bit of Darwin, Cairns, Sydney, Newcastle and Melbourne but living there will be a whole different ballgame.

Keep up the posts as it means a lot to know you're not alone and saves so much time and stress researches every little detail when there are posts of real experiences.

Best of luck to everyone and may all your dreams come true.

Pj xx

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

congratulations ,,i hope you have a wonderful life out there ,we are only at first base in our application ,but like you say this board helps so much and seems to answer most of your questions ,well you have a top party and 'cheers' from me xx cal

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Congrats to you and your family Pj

Hope it all goes well for you.

Sharon

:D

Guest nuttycaz

Hi pj

Congrats to you.....all seems to be a bit mad here too lol

We are to be in Geelong Melbourne in the new year too, hope to have the final yes by the end of the month or beg of november, had x-rays yesterday, kids had medicals and all seemed fine.

Husband is being sponsered by company, and when we get the okay....hopefully it will be all systems go!!!!!!!!!

We are taking our frisky 18 year old cat with us too!

Much enjoy all the news from everyone and all the tips.....

Be happy and have fun

Big smiles

Cazzy :D

Hi Cazzy

Woohoo, sounds like you are nearly there. My sister used to live in Geelong and it's lovely there, close to the beach but easy to get to the city.

How long has the process taken for your hubby so far? Would you mind giving me a run-down on what was done when e.g. offer letter, visa application etc. I'm just a bit nervous about the timescales and resigning at the right time whilts giving myself loads of time to spend with friends/family.

I've just faxed back confirmation that I will be accepting their offer, prior to receiving the formal contract, so I guess they will be getting the ball rolling with the Oz government shortly.

I'm taking my cats out too. I'm probably more nervous about them going out than my partner and I. (will they decide to chase spiders, how will they cope with the summer heat, are there ticks as big as cows over there etc. etc.).

Talk again soon.

Pj xx

Guest nuttycaz

Hi pj

Well, the story so far.......

Husband enquired aug last year, emailed back and forth then heard nothing til end of june of this year, asking if he was still interested in a job. Heard back after more emails and telephone conferencing that they would like him to go over to view 4 jobs....so off he went in august for 10 days to hav a nosey, all paid for which was very nice lol, was offered a job there and then, that was best suited to him and his quals, came home thought about it, asked them to up the offer, accepted about a month ago but has not as yet given notice here as we are wanting a def 'yes' all is okey dokey with visa and meds!!! Company have sorted an agent to do all the biz online, so all we really had to do was provide was document info, which was a pain as they seemed to be too huge to email as attachments so we burned them onto disk and sent registered post. Application was lodged on the 6th of oct, we had x-rays on the 17th. Agent sez wait a week for them to arrive in oz then praps another 2 for the final yeaaaaaa, we are hoping!!!!!

Doesn't seem any time at all that this has been going on....

I really think I mite hav to hav a drinkie or two tonite as I didnt sleep a wink last nite!!!! well thats my excuse!!!

I am sure TC the cat knows summat is goin on......lol lol they do don't they!!!!

Hope to chat again, sorry if this is mostly babble!!!! :lol:

good luck

Cazzy x :D

Guest nuttycaz

Hi pj

This site was recommended to me, and have been looking at the posts on there as it is for people moving to victoria melbourne

plenty of good stuff to read as on there too!

I post on there as Cazzy.

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?

Cazzy

Thanks for the all the info. Sounds like your hubby is in real demand. What line of work is he in?

I know what you mean about the cats. Mine start getting clingy as soon as the packing tape and boxes come out. Even if I'm packing a weekend bag, they start giving me the "if you leave me now" eyes.

Last time I moved house, one of them did a dissapearing act on the day of completion. The car was packed, house empty, I'm fretting about having to leave stuff behind as there was just about room in the car for me and nothing else.

I have to delay the completion 2.5 hours till he finally strolled through the cat flap as if nothing was up.

Bless, I wouldn't be without them though.

Pj xx

Guest nuttycaz

Hi pj

Not sure if you recieved my PM...

Husband is an engineer within the cement industry, he would go over tomoz if he could!!!

Hope all is going well for you.

Cazzy :D

Cazzy

If you are out there, I need a little reassurance regarding shipping my cats.

I'm panicing as my cats haven't had their rabies vaccine yet and I'm confused about the timeline. They've been microchipped already.

They are having their first jabs on Thursday, with the next batch exactly 30 days later? Then 30 days after that they are blood tested, am I right so far? Can you only apply for an AQIS permit after the blood tests are back?

I'm getting worried that I'm going to have to leave them with a friend/cattery before all the paperwork is completed as I have to be out there by a certain date.

EEEK!

Pj xx

Guest nuttycaz

Hi pj

You got me going now lol!!!!

If that is the case them I think my husband will be there before me!!

Going to check it out with my vet today as it is 4.15 in the morning and I don't think that they will be open at this time...sleepless nite...

TC hasn't been microchipped yet! :o

Get back to you soon, aaaaaahhhhhhhh

Cazzy

Cazzy

Sorry, didn't mean to alarm you. The mircochip is easy, and once the reading is confirmed, they can vaccinate straight away. I think it depends on the vaccine whether there is a second dose required and the time between the two jabs.

I'll know more after tomorrow.

Pj xxx

Guest nuttycaz

Hi pj

No alarm at all lol, but you got me thinking! Took TC to the vet first thing, had his microchip done and rabies jab. We are up to date with the triple jab as he has it every year, all that needs to be done (hopefully) is the blood test which should be taken 30 days prior to leaving. Posted the form off to defra, so just need to do the one to Aus.

Spoke to Manchester bout flight for him and probs will be around £750 if not less, as she gave me a quote for a large box.

Hope all going well with you :D

Cazzy x

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By The Pom Queen
        So you’ve decided to make the move to Melbourne. Whether that’s because you’re studying, got a new job or have simply decided trying to save $7 million for the necessary deposit on a shoebox apartment in Sydney is too much to deal with now, welcome.
        But where do you belong? Which of Melbourne’s tribes will you ultimately claim membership of? Will you be north or south of the river, or (shock, horror) in the west?
        The CBD
        You’re the centre of attention and all the action here, and if you choose to call the Hoddle grid home, you can bet that your mates will want to use your (admittedly tiny) pad as a starting point — or final destination — for a night out.
        Which part of Melbourne owns your heart? And where do you really belong? Photo: Leigh Hennigham
        Sure, you’ll living in a building where you probably won’t know your neighbours, but who does, anyway? And who needs neighbours when you can walk to work, gleefully avoiding peak-hour crushes and copping an elbow to your head when you’re scrambling onto a train into suburbia.
        Plus there’s the added benefit of shopping, dining, drinking and exploring at whatever hour of the day without regard to arbitrary things like “trading hours”.
        Main hubs: Bourke Street, Russell Street, Flinders Street, Spencer Street
        Move here if you like: Not needing to cook at home, a choice of five train stations, small living quarters
        Avoid if you like: Peace and quiet, a backyard, on-street parking.

City fringe
        The suburbs you call home when you don’t want to live two streets away from the office. You’ll find an ever-growing number of high-rises here, but also cute cottages and a few family-sized homes, which, if your budget will stretch, are worth the investment.
        There’s also kudos from the cool crowd in living in “once-gritty” suburbs that have come good. (You’ll even get these for living in Richmond though it’s been close to three decades since anyone thought Richmond as a whole was gritty.)
        It’s also hard to escape the football influence, with the MCG, Victoria Park and Arden Street all nearby.
        Main hubs: Richmond, Collingwood, North Melbourne
        Move here if you like: Trams, football, Swedish megastores
        Avoid if you like: Being able to drive stress-free, access to the bay, affordable rent.

The inner north
        Ah, the inner north. Long-term residents will fondly recall the days when it was dominated by Greek and Italian immigrants with small businesses, rather than apartment towers and young professionals with plenty of cash to splash at bars and restaurants.
        But that doesn’t mean the character’s gone altogether. Take a walk beyond the main and traffic clogged thoroughfares and you’ll easily find why so many people are happy to set up home here.
        Plenty of trams and two train lines make this area one the of city’s better for public transport.
        Main hubs: Northcote, Fitzroy, Brunswick
        Move here if you like: A bar on nearly every corner, burgers, being thought of as a cliche by everyone who lives elsewhere.
        Avoid if you like: Being a hipster without prejudice, trams without crowds, getting to sleep at the weekend without the sounds of live music.

Bayside
        Briiii-ghton, darling, isn’t the only bayside suburb if you love life by the beach. Sure, it’s a main hub, but there’s also Middle Park (if you can afford it) and its sibling, Albert Park (mind the Formula 1 noise each year), and what some might call the most classically Melbourne suburb, St Kilda.
        The moneyed may well have laid claim to this as their patch (anyone for a stockbrokers in crisis polo and picnic?) but more down-to-earth St Kilda and Elwood have some of the nicest places to spend a weekend in the city. It’s a mix of backpackers, students and families.
        Plenty of older style homes and apartment buildings are sharing street space with newer builds, particularly in new money Brighton.
        Main hubs: St Kilda, Elwood, Brighton
        Move here if you like: Beaches, black BMWs and doing errands in your activewear.
        Avoid if you like: Huge shopping malls, hipster coffee on every corner, not being yelled at by soccer mums on the school run.

The inner east
        Stately homes, ancient railway stations, and a reliable train service all the way through to Box Hill; the inner east is starting to shake off its long-held “boring” image. Sure, you’ll still struggle to find a bar in Camberwell, but Hawthorn is more than coming into its own with a few cool cafes and eateries.
        The Eastern Freeway is still a handsome-looking stretch of motoring pleasure (RIP Doncaster rail proposal), and things do seem a bit more relaxed out this way.
        The biggest fight you’re likely to get into here is with the local heritage group if you put in plans to renovate your house, or, shock horror, propose a subdivision. That and a contest about where to find the best dumplings: the city or Box Hill.
        Main hubs: Hawthorn, Camberwell, Box Hill
        Move here if you like: Sprawling suburbia, council-sanctioned “dry zones” and being able to get a train more than every 10 minutes.
        Avoid if you like: Not having to mow the lawn, live music, terrace houses.

The inner west
        The inner north you have when you can’t afford the north. These days, you can tell a true inner westie pretty quickly: they’re the ones who don’t moan about only having a couple of bars to choose from in each suburb.
        Footscray market is still one of Melbourne’s best and cheapest shopping hubs, while Williamstown, referred to by some locals as the “Toorak of the west”, retains its long-held allure. It’s the only place in Melbourne where you can find a Toorak-style house for nearly half the price at a similar distance to the city.
        Quieter suburbs in the middle — Seddon, Spotswood, Newport … oh sorry, I’ve just ruined it for the few people left who thought these places were undiscovered gems.
        Main hubs: Yarraville, Footscray, Williamstown
        Move here if you like: Boutique cinemas and shopping, truck fumes, venues the rest of the city won’t travel to
        Avoid if you like: The north v south debate, not crossing an enormously tall bridge most days the week, trams that run direct to the city.

The outer north
        Anything north of Bell Street is now firmly in the sights of home-hunting hipsters and developers targeting hipsters who can’t afford the inner west. Thomastown and Glenroy residents, you’ve been warned.
        Expect to find plenty of older detached, brick veneer homes on large blocks here, and, further north, lots of house and land display villages. As the city sprawls, this is one spot where the government’s finding more room for the thousands moving to the city each year.
        It’s also ripe for some creative minds; Broadmeadows in particular is coming in for plenty of attention and funding.
        Main hubs: Reservoir, Broadmeadows, Craigieburn
        Move here if you like: Diverse dining and language options, the opportunity for a swing set in the backyard, being able to maybe afford a house.
        Avoid if you like: Not getting held up on the Ring Road every day, boutique shopping.
        Next exit on the M80.

The outer south-east
        If you can’t have bayside proper, there’s always the south-eastern bayside, but you’ll pay for it in your commute. Further inland, other suburbs boast plenty of expansive hills at the edge of the Dandenongs, but you might find yourself limited when it comes to options for dining out. 
        Main hubs: Cranbourne, Frankston, Narre Warren
        Move here if you like: Hills, trees, being far from the city
        Avoid if you like: An easy drive to work, nightlife.

The outer west
        Long derided as the arse-end of Melbourne, no thanks to the Werribee sewage plant (a good spot for bird watchers, incidentally), the outlying western ‘burbs have of late become more attractive for savvy investors and first-home buyers. New train stations and services have helped but it remains to be seen if the confidence is matched by price increases.
        Werribee Mansion and the open range zoo are some of the unsung heroes of Melbourne, and living here, you’re just a hop, step and a jump away. Again, a lot of older-style houses, new builds, new estates — and the occasional, ahem, owner’s vision homes — are what you’ll find here.
        Main hubs: Werribee, Laverton, Point Cook
        Move here if you like: Long bus trips, potential renovation projects, African animals not far from home
        Avoid if you like: Being close to the action (Pacific Werribee aside).

Geelong
        Calm down: it’s only a matter of time before Sleepy Hollow is part of the metropolitan boundary proper. Yes, it’s a city of its own with its own council, but many Melburnians are taking the reasonably short trip down the freeway to escape soaring house prices and the suburban crush.
        Plus, with a few new industries emerging and a growing foodie and arts scene, Geelong is emerging as a viable alternative.
        Main hubs: Ryrie Street, Newtown, the Princes Freeway
        Move here if you like: Floating Christmas trees, cool new libraries, staying out of Melbourne
      • By Arron Martin
        Hi, my names Arron, 27. Moving to Melbourne at the end of October with my partner and our dog on a de-facto partner visa so luckily don't need to worry about work visas as such. 
        I've worked for British Gas for the past 9 years as a gas engineer- servicing and repairs. Just hoping for a little advice/guidance from someone who has already been through the process of getting skills assessed and finding gas work in Australia. How was it/ what are the differences/ any tips please?!

Thank you 
      • By MWatson
        If you are making the move to Melbourne you should be aware of the fact that public transport is the most convenient way to get around the city. Melbourne is becoming increasingly popular as a city to migrate to and it is busy! With a population of over 4.5 million, it has been predicted by the Bureau of Statistics that Melbourne’s population could almost double by 2056, meaning that it may overtake Sydney in becoming Australia’s most populated city. So, you need to think smart when it comes to travelling around Melbourne.

Pick up a Myki Smartcard:
        If you want to travel at ease in Melbourne, the best thing that you can do is purchase a Myki smartcard. With the Myki card, you can get around on trains, buses, and trams, completely
        hassle-free. Another thing you might need to consider is purchasing a Myki Explorer Pack when you arrive. You can purchase this pack from various spots including the SkyBus terminals at Melbourne Airport, Southern Cross Station, and at Melbourne Visitor Centre in Federation Square, as well as at many different hotels. This explorer pack costs $15 and includes a $9 credit amount, the concession card costs half the price and comes with a card which is topped-up with $4.50. This fantastic travel pack provides you with all of the travel necessities including; useful information for the first-time visitor, maps, and a ready to go Myki smartcard. In the information pack it will remind you of important ‘must-do’s’ such as remembering to tap-on and tap-off each time you board a bus, train, or tram. The Myki Explorer kit is also available to purchase as three different options, you have the option of Full Fare; this is for those who are 19 years and over and are not entitled to concession, the Myki concession card; for people including pensioners and students, and the Myki Child Card.

Public Transport Victoria (PTV):
        PTV (Public Transport Victoria) Hubs will provide you with all the information you need for getting around Melbourne and these hubs are situated in various different locations across the city. You can also download the PTV app for both iOS and Android and on the app you can access all public transport information including service times, journey planner, as well as different Myki card top up locations.

Trains, Buses and Trams:
        As regards to the trains, buses and trams in Melbourne, they all run at frequent hours and offer a convenient and reliable service. In particular, the train and tram services in Melbourne city operate all week, including Sunday, running from early in the morning right through until late at night. The bus routes are also reliable and frequent, offering services seven days a week, until 9pm every night. At weekends (Friday and Saturday nights), there are also late night buses, as well as the Night Network operating late night trams and trains.
        Another great aspect of the trams is the ‘Free Tram Zone’. This is an exclusive service that runs in the CBD and Docklands areas of Melbourne. Since the beginning of 2015, as long as you are making your journey within the assigned zones, it is a free service! This means that you are not required to tap-on with your Myki card, so you end up saving yourself money for more travel time in Melbourne!
      • By geex3
        Hi,
        I am moving to Melbourne in June 2017 with my husband and two children (7 & 4).  My husband will be working in Bundoora.  We have been looking into living within areas approx. 20 km from his work place...Eltham, Templestowe, Research, Diamond Creek etc...
        I am hoping for some local knowledge and recommendation of the local schools (they all look good online).  We are moving from a small east coast village in Scotland and from a primary school with approx 100 pupils, therefore a smaller school would be desirable.
        Any local knowledge on the different suburbs would be greatly received.  Thanks.
      • By crypticat
        Morning all,
        We've just received quotes in for a 40ft container shipment of household goods from Melb to UK (southampton). Eye-watering... 
        If you've done the move back to the UK from Melbourne, I'd really appreciate if you could let me know some ballpark figures of what it cost you.
        Many thanks in advance,
        R