Re-skill to get into mining and resources

ottg

Someone asked me what can he go and study part-time that will help him to get easier access into the mining industry or Resources. Most jobs ask for 2-5 yrs mining experience.

He is a fully qualified Chartered Accountant (but not registered in Australia) with 7 years Corporate Finance experience.

On another thread someone mentioned: Health & Safety and Bluecard

What else? He wants to stay in finance but needs to understand the "mining-language"

Please help?

I have done a bit of home work and thought to put my findings to my own question down for others that may find it useful.

Curtin University - Mining School offers a "bridging" graduate diploma in Mining economic. Based on the electives available a student with no mining background can select the basics like mineral processing, mining 101 etc. It's a 6-12 months course at a reputable institute and seems like it will do the trick!

Is he intending to go on site or not? In my experience accountants and the like are not present on the minesite itself but in the corporate office usually in the nearest large town or state capital.

I work in the Queensland coal industry (and latterly in Papuan gold), the terminaology may be different in other states:

A blue card is a recognition of the bare minimum knowledge for the *civil* construction industry, thus minesites very rarely require them, and if you're not involved directly in construction are completely irrelevent (not to be confused with the child care Blue Card).

To access a site, you need at the bare minimum: a generic passport complete with coal board medical and drug test (known as a "generic")

For BMA sites an additional 1-day course (knowns as either a "BMA" or an "SGS")

A site specific induction for the individual site (lasts anywhere from 1/2 hour to 4 days, depending on the site and what you're going to do there, this isn't done until you rock up to start work)

If you're in a supervisory position a further week-long course known as variously "S1, S2, S3 and G2" or "MNCG10002A, 1008A, 9A etc"

Operators require "tickets" or proof of competancy

You do not need any OH&S qualification or the like. If you're going to an off-site office you don't need any of this at all.

Sites vary as to what they mean by accessing the site. Some let you into the offices without questions, other won't let you past the boom gate without an all-out interrogation. Generally BMA, Anglo and Rio are the most full-on, the smaller companies like Xstrata, Macarthur etc are more laid back about it all.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Gollywobbler

Hello ottg

What sort of a job does your Chartered Accountant imagine that the mines might find him to be a suitable candidate for, please?

Gill

Hello ottg

What sort of a job does your Chartered Accountant imagine that the mines might find him to be a suitable candidate for, please?

Gill

At this point none. So therefore he will remain in the financial sector (banking, insurance) and while completing his new studies start to apply for positions as financial planner on mining projects and then move into project controls in the mining industry. This will open the doors - and "Mineral Economics"

provides a framework in which the resources sector operates and requires a suitable knowledge of economic, financial, management, legal, regulatory, political and social environments.

Guest fatpom
Hello ottg

Gill

Mines have accountants... not underground of course but there's likely to be an accountant on site. :smile:

Archived