Driving lessons what to do?

rach28

Can anyone give me some advice please.

Im 30 years old and dont have a driving license, not that i havent tried. Between the ages of 17 and 19 i failed my test three times. Since then i havent bothered more because i havent really needed to drive and if i need a car my husband drives and takes me.

Well we are hoping to be in perth next year and i realise that im really going to need to drive. My husband says that most cars in oz are automatic and it will be easier to pass my test in automatic.

Are most cars automatic in oz?

Is it easier to pass test in uk or oz?

Is it cheaper in oz or uk to do driving lessons?

If i pass in uk before going to oz are there any restrictions on new drivers?

to exchange are uk license for oz do you just have it transfered or do you have to sit another test in oz?

Sorry for all the questions, am just trying to weigh up the situation as dont want to get to oz and be stranded whith 2 kids while hubby at work.

many thanks in advance for any replys

Rachael :emoticon-signxmas:

Can anyone give me some advice please.

Are most cars automatic in oz? Yes

Is it easier to pass test in uk or oz? Aus is easier

Is it cheaper in oz or uk to do driving lessons? Don't know

If i pass in uk before going to oz are there any restrictions on new drivers? Depends on each state but probably yes under 1 years experience

to exchange are uk license for oz do you just have it transfered or do you have to sit another test in oz? Depends on each State - now usually a written test only.

Check out the state gov web site under driving/transport for specific info.

Hi, you sound just like me!!! I too hope to finally learn to drive and will do so here in Oz. There are pros and cons I guess. Yes it's cheaper to learn here, yes there are more automatics driven here (this is what I aim to do), yes it appears to be easier to learn here. However you have to sit a test before you can even get a licence to learn, it's like the highway code etc then you go onto L plates. You have to clock up 120 hours logged driving before you can sit your test and you will have to have a fully licensed driver beside you at all times to do this. Then you go onto P plates and I'm not 100% sure for how long I can't see past the getting onto L plates at the mo! I think if you google the RTA they have their own website and it allows you to download the handbook you need to pass the test for your L plates for free. Plus I'm sure it will answer all your other questions. If you do pass in the UK then all you need to do is hand your licence in and you get the full Aussie one no questions asked! A friend of mine passed his test recently and he used to drive up and down to Canberra from Sydney and soon clocked up his hours, easy to do as you just get on the highway! So I wish you luck with that, I'm still plucking up the courage to go for it! Cheers, Jo

Hi well i have decided to do my lessons and try and pass test in uk. Have found out you need to pass test in oz first to get learners permit.

Once you have learners permit you have to have a learners permit for 12 months and have between 25 - 250 hours driving experience with a qualified driver before you put in for your provisional license test.

To get your provisional license you then need to sit between another 1 - 3 skills tests depending on state and pass before they will issue provisional license.

You then need to hold your provisional license between 1 - 5 years depending on state and sit more driving skills tests before you can get a full license.

So i personaly have decided to do it here, have spoke to a driving school and am going to start my lessons again and do test for automatic. The driving school has said that it will be much easier to pass in automatic. They also said to have already taken three driving tests i must be near test level.

They have offered me a free lesson to go out in automatic and see what i think compared to mannual as they say i might not like it.

So please everyone fingers crossed for me as im going to do out on the free lesson tonight, so anyone in plymouth stay off road tonight LOL.

Rachael

Archived