Spouse Visa - Medical?

Guest lynessjm

Guest lynessjm

Hello, I've been offered a lucrative job in Perth to start mid Feb 09. I've been married to my husband for 5 months. We want to apply for a Spouse visa and have the stat decs, police checks, pay slips, joint flight tickets from holidays etc. I also own a property in Perth so we have accommodation when we arrive. I have been reading here that to get a quick turn around people went and had their medicals done before lodging their application yet when I read the immigration site it says not to get the medical before they request it.

Has any one had a similar experience or knows what to do about the medical as we are running out of time.

Thanks

Jane

Hi Jane,

Are you being sponsored on a 457 visa? Or are you hoping to get a 175 visa?

Even with a job offer I don't think you would get a 175 through in time whether you front load the medicals or not - sorry.

Does the fact you have only been married 5 months make a difference? Either visa covers the applicants dependents too so a 'spouse visa' isn't required as such (I don't think - I know I am here as a dependent)

To answer your question though our 457 application was submitted AFTER our medicals and our 175 application will be long after (they are valid for one year). It then took just two weeks to get our visa.

Hope I've not confused you more!

Jules

Guest lynessjm

Hi Jules

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to add that I am an Australian citizen with Australian passport. I have been living in London 3 years.

Thats why we were applying for a spouse visa. As I don't need one.

Were you and your partner both Non-Australian?

Cheers

Jane

We have just got OH's spouse visa today, he posted his application on 8 November, but we didn't really rush with any of it as we can't move over yet anyway. His subclass 100 visa was granted today so just over a month. His medical was last Monday.

However we have been married 12 years so that may have made it all go through a bit more quickly, not sure.

We didn't organise meds until told to, but I think you can go ahead with them before being asked. You just need to be sure of where the report has to be sent to.

Hope that helps.

Guest lynessjm

That sounds reassuring re the time line.

I might arrange for him to have a medical so we can speed things up. I take it when you say you "You just need to be sure of where the report has to be sent to'" that you tell them which state you are going?

That sounds reassuring re the time line.

I might arrange for him to have a medical so we can speed things up. I take it when you say you "You just need to be sure of where the report has to be sent to'" that you tell them which state you are going?

No. Sorry, I don't know enough about all the processes to give any really useful info I am afraid. But we have never told them we are definitely going to settle in any particular place.

But I gather from reading on here that for some visas you have to send the meds to Australia, and some need to go to the High Commission in The Strand. But I do think you need to have a point of contact; a migration agent? to whom the records are sent.

Hi Jules

Thanks for your reply.

I forgot to add that I am an Australian citizen with Australian passport. I have been living in London 3 years.

Thats why we were applying for a spouse visa. As I don't need one.

Were you and your partner both Non-Australian?

Cheers

Jane

The penny dropped when I was drifting off to sleep! Doh!

We are both British & were both offered jobs at the Insurance Commission but they sponsored OH & got two for the price of one :biggrinxmas: It suited our situation because it means I don't have to work full-time.

If you're applying from within the UK you need to get your meds sent to Australia House in London, NOT to Australia. Be very clear with your Doctor that is where they need to go as if it gets sent to Oz its just going to delay things for you even more. (This has happened before just ask other PIO members!)

You can definitely have your Meds "front loaded" (sent with or before your app) but you generally do want them sent at around the same time you send your final application so that they're not floating around Australia House waiting for your application. But if this does happen, they do keep them on file until they can match them up with an application. It does save a lot of time getting them done before being asked for them, the reason the Immi website says not to do this is because it is givign advice to thousands of people all over the world and a lot of visas take much longer than a De Facto one to be approved, and in those cases having medicals done early may mean having to get them redone as the visa (once approved) is only valid for entry from one year from the time of medical, not approval. Does this make sense?

Either way it is not something you have to worry about. Oh and no, you don't need a point of contact when getting your meds sent to Australia House, just make sure your Doc sends them to the right place. All this is on the form you fill in anyway.

Hope this helps.

:emoticon-signxmas:

Guest suria.rivers

:cryxmas:Hi there

It is only now recently that you are allowed to go for your medical checks before your visa is lodged. We did it that way and it worked fine for us. Your husband in my opinion is your dependant so he would not have to apply for any visa except be a dependant of yourself, that is how it worked for us, and all children.

From where are you applying for the visa and what type is it?

Best Regards

Suria Rivers(Bunbury Australia)

If you're applying from within the UK you need to get your meds sent to Australia House in London, NOT to Australia. Be very clear with your Doctor that is where they need to go as if it gets sent to Oz its just going to delay things for you even more. (This has happened before just ask other PIO members!)

We applied from within the UK and our meds correctly went to Sydney, our migration lawyer was based in Perth so that could be why, I don't know but it isn't as straight forward as where you're based:confusedxmas:

Jules

We applied from within the UK and our meds correctly went to Sydney, our migration lawyer was based in Perth so that could be why, I don't know but it isn't as straight forward as where you're based:confusedxmas:

Jules

Oh OK then, my mistake. I was just going on what we were told when applying for my OH visa from the UK. But we didn't use an agent, so maybe thats why your meds were sent to Sydney?

Or maybe its different for each different Visa.

Either way I know if applying for a De Facto visa (without an agent) from within the UK, you'll need to send the application to Australia House in London, and if thats the case, they the meds definitely need to be sent there too.

:yesxmas:

Archived