All those coming back.

Guest earlswood

Guest scot-aussie-scot

no shame in coming back. my folks gave it a go in Oz for 5 years in the 80's - wasn't for them. as a 17 year old I wasn't happy that they came back but I've got on with it and when I went back to Oz in 1992 for a holiday after I graduated I was quite happy to come back to Scotland to get on with my life (even though I could have stayed).

It's not for everyone and for anyone to state that one country is vastly superior to the other is talking out of their ****.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ebdale_sns@hotmail.com

I think I'm better qualified than most to comment on this.

This is the 3rd time of living in Australia - I only arrived on 7 Sept 08 and think every day about returning to the UK.

We're all looking for that perfect future - and for each and everyone it's a different story. I love both places - what's good in Oz isn't good in the UK and Visa Versa.

I personally love a challenge and to problem solve, so I get a buzz out o the organising and the 'making it happen' - once I start to sit still - reality sets in.

Australia is a beautiful place - but these are not my trees and they're not my birds - I don't know what to do or where to go as nothing is familiar (even though I've lived here twice before in the last 10 years).

It's cost me tens of thousands of pounds to travel backwards and forwards (incl Visa costs and the dog) - but that doesn't matter unless as a family we're all happy.

I have to say however - if you're thinking of returning to the UK as we are - do you really think 2009 is the year to do it????? Recession will be with the UK for all of 2009 if not all of 2010 - however will you survive? Surely it's better to be here for the next year - working on your plan and saving £££££ - watch the UK and when houses are rockbottom and the tide is turning - then is the moment to act!

Can't say for certain how out tale will end - I never say never and try to keep an open mind.

Good luck to you all!

Guest JoanneHattersley

No country is superior. It is what you make of it while you are there. Life is as good as you make it. You want something and willing to work hard to get it.....you`ll go far!

Guest proud2beaussie
No country is superior. It is what you make of it while you are there. Life is as good as you make it. You want something and willing to work hard to get it.....you`ll go far!

Absolutely right,Australia is a great country but it has it's problems,as does the UK,life,as they say,is what you make of it.and whilst the world economy is slowing there are still opportunities for people to work hard,as friend of mine started a business in the depths of the last recession in Australia in the early 90's and what started as a one person,home based business now has 35 full time employees and is

still growing.

Geez Earls... so often I've bitten me tongue with ya posts - FIND a like-minded female/male (pc) and settle down!!

you'll find the weather warmer, the beer colder, and the nights not needing air-con or central heating

because you'll be HAPPY!! just hopefully........... you'll find joy in your own backyard wherever it be

I spent a gap year in London at 17 and loved the city and the Britain I travelled - unfortunately a year on a visa is just that , ONE year -I was spat on by Arabs, dodged unattended parcels in the tube and unlike you SUCKED UP every minute . Good and Bad and you know what? In the the sleet and well....no snow, the heatwave summerI made a point of having the time of my life - including going to work in Camden for the bakery and having middle-aged women pinching my cheek and tellin me "Love are you gettin enuf to eat? you look a bit peaky" loved it!

I really hope you find your own utopia mate - enjoy your twisted sense of humour

Australia is not that bad Earls, we do have a social security system (okay some people have to do 'work for the dole' etc) but when my brother was dying they waived the 'waiting time' for disability benefits etc. Okay the NHS system in England is creaking, and our national health system (Medicare) is not perfect by any means, but generally things are not desperately bad. Both petrol and houses have come down in price (petrol in Melbourne this week $1.03). And also there are plenty of places in this city to get a good curry (the touring cricketers also eat our here at Indian restaurants, there are lots, I eat it all the time). Oh, and it is 26C today, very pleasant, not too hot and humid, not too cold. I went to Dan Murphy's Liquor store and got some English ale, and got some fresh king prawns for tea. And I don't know why some people mention that we don't smile (when I was on the tube in south London last year it struck me that many people on that tube were not smiling either, even though I smiled at them). What I am trying to say is - our lives here are not so bad, just different, but not 'better' or 'worse' than the UK in many ways.

Good luck to you if you have returned to where your heart is, glad you are happy.

Guest petmarchehol

i agree with earlswood all australia has to offer is nice beaches and even that gets boring after a while . oz has been the biggest mistake of my life and i hope it hasn't ruined my kids lives

Guest guest17301
i agree with earlswood all australia has to offer is nice beaches and even that gets boring after a while . oz has been the biggest mistake of my life and i hope it hasn't ruined my kids lives

You must try hard to see some positives in your situation. I doubt your kids feel that Oz has wrecked their lives..how could it? At the very least they have had an experience in life that will have taught them life skills (maybe not apparent yet) you too for that matter! All experiences, good or bad enrich us and make us the people we are. If you can't see a way out just yet please try to find one positive a day..difficult I know but you mustn't blame a whole country for your own personal circumstances. Life is what you make of it wherever you are. I hope you find a solution soon. Good luck.

Guest petmarchehol

hi fiona i will come back to uk as realise not so bad there. my husband has decided to stay in oz so all oz has done is split up our family . it has been the biggest mistake in my life but i would have always wondered and now i will know it isn't for me

Guest paulwbafc

I get decent Balti from spice avenue in birkdale and owner is from home of the balti, wolverhampton is where there other shop is. I think some people have short memories of why they came out here. I still have the scars as to how horrendous england is. The day i saw an asian have a crap in the fountain arcade on a busy saturday in front of everyone before running off. the day when i was walking down a road and a west indian girl casually threw a empty coke can on the floor in front of me. the extortionate power bills. Russia owns the tap and supplies over 70% of gas to the uk. they have turned off the tap to ukraine already. Also by 2012 the uk will be having black outs as the nuclear power stations are closed down and there are NO replacements as it takes 10 years to build and commision them. Also the government is slashing public spending due to the bail outs so the NHS is going to get worse. Roads will get worse. etc. Also tax's will go UP when the economy turns around. I could go on and i will say i have nooooo intention of going back to THAT. I came out of here to get away from the wreck that britain is becoming. If you don't believe any of what i have said. Google it most of it was news last year before i moved over here.

Guest paulwbafc

Don't think Perth is all australia. i know what perths like thats why we moved to Brisbane as it has almost EVERYTHING.

Guest earlswood

No....it has not ruined your kids lives....it has though given them a wonderful adventure that I am sure be beneficial to them whatever you decide////Oz does not work for everyone but ay least you have tried…no shame in that.

Guest earlswood
I get decent Balti from spice avenue in birkdale and owner is from home of the balti, wolverhampton is where there other shop is. I think some people have short memories of why they came out here. I still have the scars as to how horrendous england is. The day i saw an asian have a crap in the fountain arcade on a busy saturday in front of everyone before running off. the day when i was walking down a road and a west indian girl casually threw a empty coke can on the floor in front of me. the extortionate power bills. Russia owns the tap and supplies over 70% of gas to the uk. they have turned off the tap to ukraine already. Also by 2012 the uk will be having black outs as the nuclear power stations are closed down and there are NO replacements as it takes 10 years to build and commision them. Also the government is slashing public spending due to the bail outs so the NHS is going to get worse. Roads will get worse. etc. Also tax's will go UP when the economy turns around. I could go on and i will say i have nooooo intention of going back to THAT. I came out of here to get away from the wreck that britain is becoming. If you don't believe any of what i have said. Google it most of it was news last year before i moved over here.

LOL....The Daily Mail is missing one reader..

Crap happens everywhere and I witnessed more crap in Australia in 2 years then 5 years in London, I was robbed at knifepoint twice in Perth and all you have posted above happens all over the world....

Guest MariAndyok

Did anything good happen in your life Earlswood? You seem like such a loser, I actually feel sorry for you. I'm sure every city has at least one no hoper like you...seems such a shame...I can see you now, skinny, frail with your flat cap, old dog in the corner of the room..in Wetherspoons with your 2.99 Sausage and mash and 99p pint...life doesn't get any better really does it?:biglaugh:

Guest earlswood
Did anything good happen in your life Earlswood? You seem like such a loser, I actually feel sorry for you. I'm sure every city has at least one no hoper like you...seems such a shame...I can see you now, skinny, frail with your flat cap, old dog in the corner of the room..in Wetherspoons with your 2.99 Sausage and mash and 99p pint...life doesn't get any better really does it?

happy New Year to you mouse****....yep life is good back in the UK after the boring dustbowl of Oz....

PS....Dont worry about me, I have never been fitter....:jiggy:

pps.... you've obviously mistaken me for someone who gives a damn.

Did anything good happen in your life Earlswood? You seem like such a loser, I actually feel sorry for you. I'm sure every city has at least one no hoper like you...seems such a shame...I can see you now, skinny, frail with your flat cap, old dog in the corner of the room..in Wetherspoons with your 2.99 Sausage and mash and 99p pint...life doesn't get any better really does it?:biglaugh:

Nowt wrong with flat caps and old dogs owd lad , Earls is glad he`s back in the uk, its just like he had never been away, prob hasn`t

Mally

Guest earlswood
Nowt wrong with flat caps and old dogs owd lad , Earls is glad he`s back in the uk, its just like he had never been away, prob hasn`t

Mally

Come on lad....don't lie.......you are missing Yorkshire aint ya...

Come on lad....don't lie.......you are missing Yorkshire aint ya...

Just this minute had a word wi my old work mate on short time, I left last jan on 21 shift rota overtime loads never saw mrs yp. Now tata taken over officially down to 15 shifts short time , he was on nights last nite fighting polar bears on the coil line, 2 machines packed up due to the cold, told him I was sweatin well cant repeat it even on here. Its grim there kid and it has not taken long for the **** to happen . Like every other person (bloke ) miss my ale and footy but get prem league live, guinness wil do ,feral beer, should have gone to the brewery at jane brook earls it int a bad drop and thats from a camra member thall niver tek yorkshire outa me kid. As i told a bloke whoa old lad watch the pommie bastard , Yorkshire bastard to thee .

Perth beer festival weekend should be a laugh

Mally

Guest earlswood
Just this minute had a word wi my old work mate on short time, I left last jan on 21 shift rota overtime loads never saw mrs yp. Now tata taken over officially down to 15 shifts short time , he was on nights last nite fighting polar bears on the coil line, 2 machines packed up due to the cold, told him I was sweatin well cant repeat it even on here. Its grim there kid and it has not taken long for the **** to happen . Like every other person (bloke ) miss my ale and footy but get prem league live, guinness wil do ,feral beer, should have gone to the brewery at jane brook earls it int a bad drop and thats from a camra member thall niver tek yorkshire outa me kid. As i told a bloke whoa old lad watch the pommie bastard , Yorkshire bastard to thee .

Perth beer festival weekend should be a laugh

Mally

Well it just shows how folk are different me old yorkshire pud.........I love it back home and do not mis Oz one little bit...and to taste a decent pint is heaven after the nats-piss they made in Oz....would be a sad day if we all loved the same things me- flower:jiggy:

Guest sparkyinoz
Well it just shows how folk are different me old yorkshire pud.........I love it back home and do not mis Oz one little bit...and to taste a decent pint is heaven after the nats-piss they made in Oz....would be a sad day if we all loved the same things me- flower:jiggy:

I love it in the UK and dont miss OZ ....................... why then are u on here every day poms in OZ ????????????? people wantin to move OZ people wantin advice on places to go??? people wantin to live in OZ?????????

U live in the uk u dont want to come back to OZ u have made that pretty clear!!!!!!!!! u are obviously a sad little man that is bored to tears in the uk with nothing to do .......

Go get some friends and try to enjoy ur life if u decide to stay in the uk so be it enjoy weatherspoons with all the students that have no cash and the down n outs and so on ....................

Why u come on here every day if u have no interest in OZ ???????????????

why come on here every day ??????????????????????

yes it is lovley here i mansfield to earlswood

were do i start

last week had to tell my kids that there isnt a xmas this yr and i can bloody tell you that broke my heart and theres

i have bearly enough money to feed my kids on i have bills coming out my ears

belifis here tomz (that will be fun ) not)

carnt afford to put my gas on let alone electric

SO YES WHAT A LOVLEY UK WE HAVE (not)

i think some one needs to open his eyes or get them from his backside ?

cheers earlwood:mad:

Hi there...just read this post...we had no xmas here in too...no pressies for my kids ethier...so its the same here....shellj don't be fooled like we were...oz is no better...

Guest earlswood
I love it in the UK and dont miss OZ ....................... why then are u on here every day poms in OZ ????????????? people wantin to move OZ people wantin advice on places to go??? people wantin to live in OZ?????????

U live in the uk u dont want to come back to OZ u have made that pretty clear!!!!!!!!! u are obviously a sad little man that is bored to tears in the uk with nothing to do .......

Go get some friends and try to enjoy ur life if u decide to stay in the uk so be it enjoy weatherspoons with all the students that have no cash and the down n outs and so on ....................

Why u come on here every day if u have no interest in OZ ???????????????

why come on here every day ??????????????????????

Because I am at work and on the computer most of the day and find I can answer lots of questions about what life was like in Oz, cost of living things to do etc... and for people coming back what to expect when they come back.

You seem a sad very angry man who has to stalk certain people to get your kicks...pathetic mate.

Guest funkymonkey
I think I'm better qualified than most to comment on this.

This is the 3rd time of living in Australia - I only arrived on 7 Sept 08 and think every day about returning to the UK.

We're all looking for that perfect future - and for each and everyone it's a different story. I love both places - what's good in Oz isn't good in the UK and Visa Versa.

I personally love a challenge and to problem solve, so I get a buzz out o the organising and the 'making it happen' - once I start to sit still - reality sets in.

Australia is a beautiful place - but these are not my trees and they're not my birds - I don't know what to do or where to go as nothing is familiar (even though I've lived here twice before in the last 10 years).

It's cost me tens of thousands of pounds to travel backwards and forwards (incl Visa costs and the dog) - but that doesn't matter unless as a family we're all happy.

I have to say however - if you're thinking of returning to the UK as we are - do you really think 2009 is the year to do it????? Recession will be with the UK for all of 2009 if not all of 2010 - however will you survive? Surely it's better to be here for the next year - working on your plan and saving £££££ - watch the UK and when houses are rockbottom and the tide is turning - then is the moment to act!

Can't say for certain how out tale will end - I never say never and try to keep an open mind.

Good luck to you all!

I have lived in Australia for 4 years now and i can't think of many days when i don't think about going home. My husband is Australian and we have two children both born here. I have been on at my husband to go back to the UK for the whole 4 years and he has said NO NO NO, he loved living in the UK but doesn't want to go back... I have cried and sobbed and have been so distressed whenever i returned here after a holiday home and when my mum came out when my boys were born, seeing her leave just broke my heart..and her's too.

We sold our house last year and decided to rent for a while, i tried to get my husband to go back to the UK then when we had money in the bank and no ties (apart from his job) but he said NO..this was when i was on the phone to ozforex booking a rate to transfer our money. So i gave in again and said we would give a bit longer, buy another house and see how we went. He said he might go back in 4 to 5 years.aaahhh.so........ Bought the house, got a builder in to do some work we wanted doing and guess what??? My darling husband says..maybe we should go back to England, aaaahhhhhh!!!!! why didn't you agree to that 3 months ago...

Anyway..i can live with that i know it takes a long time to come to a decision, especially for him but i am so happy, i always said we both had to want to go back to make it work.. We have agreed with what you have said in your post, 2009 is not the year we reckon to give up his job here and move back, so we are doing what your doing, at least we're going to try anyway. Wait until things start to improve then run for it, so 2010 we're out of here. He has promised me this will happen so thats all i can ask for at the moment..he is looking at houses and jobs in the UK off his own back so all looks very positive..

Australia is a great place, we have a lovely house on half an acre in the Perth hills.. fairly comfortable and he has a good job...but it means nothing to me without my family...i want my children to grow up knowing their grandparents and like you said for us all to be happy.

Sorry for rambling but am so happy we have finally made a decision. Oh and i have known Australia isn't for me since the day i got off the plane.:jiggy:

Guest funkymonkey

Hope you don't run out of water in Brisbane, or have too many power cuts because everyone has their air con on and the supply can't cope. Also hope you don't see any one shooting up on the train at 3pm on a Tuesday or sniffing glue in the CBD at 10am. Or drug dealers openly going about their business outside a primary school. You might think your back in Britain and the whole thing was a dream...I saw all of these things in the first 12 months of living in Australia...same everywhere unfortunately for all of us!

Archived