Schools in the Rockingham area

Guest labby1

Hi

Moving to Perth (Rockingham area) in 5 weeks. (bit of a shock as was expecting Melbourne). Looking on the website there are loads of primary schools in Rockingham and the suburbs. My daughter is 10 and I'm looking for a good school both accademically and socially. Also, do we need to be getting her registerd before we go?

Can anyone HELP!!!!!!

Labby :eekxmas:

Most schools won`t look at you until you have an address, I`d wait until you get here and decide where you will be living first (have they offered you a MQ yet or are you finding your own accomodation after the first few weeks??)Rockingham area is pretty big but I know they have MQ`s in Waikiki, Rockingham and Secret Harbour, not sure about elsewhere though.

Thats brill. Wasn't sure about the deal with MQ's. had looked at trying to get something pretty close to Secret harbour as its seems really nice. We had hoped that MQ would be provided, but that info seems pretty vague on not very forthcoming. Are you Navy?

Thats brill. Wasn't sure about the deal with MQ's. had looked at trying to get something pretty close to Secret harbour as its seems really nice. We had hoped that MQ would be provided, but that info seems pretty vague on not very forthcoming. Are you Navy?

Hubby left the RN May 07 after 22 yrs, came across here as skilled independent, but 3 of our mates have all moved over through RAN in the last year.

Hubby left RN in Sept of this year after 22. Was hoping to have made a straight transition but usual hold ups etc have meant a move in January. we're finding it difficult to speak to anyone in the same situation as either no one knows much about it or are not in the Sumbarine service. I'm sure it will all sort itself out and we'll get a house and meet other people. Just looking forward to the move. I hope you and your friends are enjoying your new life.

Guest jogrant3232

Another one for the Garden Island then ????? my neighbour (just moved in last Thursday) is on an exchange from the RN, he has 3 children at the local primary here in Singleton and that is very good, we are the last suburb of Rockingham,

Think there are going to be quite a few of us there!! Must admit, never heard of Singleton but will look that one up. yep heading to Garden Island, but he was meant to start some training in melbourne first so not quite sure why he's getting sent straight to HMAS Stirling straight off. Excited though!!

Hubby left RN in Sept of this year after 22. Was hoping to have made a straight transition but usual hold ups etc have meant a move in January. we're finding it difficult to speak to anyone in the same situation as either no one knows much about it or are not in the Sumbarine service. I'm sure it will all sort itself out and we'll get a house and meet other people. Just looking forward to the move. I hope you and your friends are enjoying your new life.

Is your OH in the band I`ve heard of tambarine not heard of a sumbarine is it the same but you can play it under water :twitcy:

Mally

PIO Turnip

sorry could not resist

Guest jogrant3232

Dont forget the A whatever you do, they get very fussy about A in HMAS dont like us Brits slipping up and say HMS, you will enjoy it over here i am sure.

hi

we are in waikiki and love it...we are not in the RN but 3 of our friends are and they all got MQ around this area.

safety bay

waikiki

warnbro

port kennedy

are all nice and pretty central and then secret harbour / singleton are a bit further out.

all the kids of ours and friends (ages 13 down to 4) have all settled well into schools

they are

warnbro primary

port kennedy primary

charthouse primary (lots go there, my daughter included)

safety bay high....my son is there...good school

warnbro high school

rockingham high school has the lowest truancy levels (this weeks paper) and has links to the forces.

hope this helps

debbie

hi

we are in waikiki and love it...we are not in the RN but 3 of our friends are and they all got MQ around this area.

safety bay

waikiki

warnbro

port kennedy

are all nice and pretty central and then secret harbour / singleton are a bit further out.

all the kids of ours and friends (ages 13 down to 4) have all settled well into schools

they are

warnbro primary

port kennedy primary

charthouse primary (lots go there, my daughter included)

safety bay high....my son is there...good school

warnbro high school

rockingham high school has the lowest truancy levels (this weeks paper) and has links to the forces.

hope this helps

debbie

Thanks Debbie

Thats was really helpful. Getting the right school and area is so important. Particularly for the kids as they need to be able to settle in really quickly. My daughter is 10 and is looking forward to making new friends.

Labby x

Guest kiwi-pom

:biggrinxmas:[Hi there, We are also moving to Rockingham in Jan, hubby and I just visited the area!last week, its Gr8! loved it.. all 3 kids going to living waters school. would love to chat more!!! we can't wait for the move day, as I know how warm the sea is now! hee hee, good luck to you too!

quote=labby1;384055]Hi

Moving to Perth (Rockingham area) in 5 weeks. (bit of a shock as was expecting Melbourne). Looking on the website there are loads of primary schools in Rockingham and the suburbs. My daughter is 10 and I'm looking for a good school both accademically and socially. Also, do we need to be getting her registerd before we go?

Can anyone HELP!!!!!!

Labby :eekxmas:

Hi there. glad to hear you are all sorted school and house wise. How did you go about getting the school organised from the UK?

Gail

Guest kiwi-pom

hi again, thanks for the qwik reply. We not in the Uk, havn't been for 5 years now. Live in Nz. We checked out all the schools in the area and decided on location,accedemics, not too religeous! and lots happening sports wise. You prob need to phone some of the schools now- to check places! semi private ones get full early in yr 7. as this is the change year for middle school.I wasn't very impressed with Rockingham high! and Warnbro was out of zone. was a bit of a culture shock with extra security fencing at schools, we dont have that here! anyone can wander around the schools in nz!!have you got jobs sorted then?

Wow, that really is a culture shock. What takes you from NZ to OZ? Hubby is joing the RAN at Garden Island. He was in the RN for 22 years. He was going to stay on for another 10 but fancied a change and a better way of life for our daughter. We have 3 other children but 2 are in the Army and the 19 year old didn't want to join us, but has now changed his mind!!! When in January are you moving?

Guest kiwi-pom

Wow, You must be a busy family too! Hubby in same jobs, different location tho. He went to garden island and said how nice it was, you also dont get loads of tourists! We get there on the 10th, Jan, soooo excited now. We love NZ but not the weather! Dont want to put too much info on this site. Never used forums before! You never know whos reading them. Really we should exchange more info another way perhaps?

Wow, You must be a busy family too! Hubby in same jobs, different location tho. He went to garden island and said how nice it was, you also dont get loads of tourists! We get there on the 10th, Jan, soooo excited now. We love NZ but not the weather! Dont want to put too much info on this site. Never used forums before! You never know whos reading them. Really we should exchange more info another way perhaps?

Hi

I'll send you a PM with my email address, it makes it so much easier. It'll be good to chat.

labby

Wow, that really is a culture shock. What takes you from NZ to OZ? Hubby is joing the RAN at Garden Island. He was in the RN for 22 years. He was going to stay on for another 10 but fancied a change and a better way of life for our daughter. We have 3 other children but 2 are in the Army and the 19 year old didn't want to join us, but has now changed his mind!!! When in January are you moving?

hi again

was talking about you to my mate whos hubby is RAN and she was saying that there is a new family coming over...maybe its you!

she has just moved out of their house (bought one) so you could get that one...its lovely.

please keep in touch as there are MANY over here in the forces and they like to look after one another :)

if you pm me ii will give you my contact details

cheers

debbie

hi again

was talking about you to my mate whos hubby is RAN and she was saying that there is a new family coming over...maybe its you!

she has just moved out of their house (bought one) so you could get that one...its lovely.

please keep in touch as there are MANY over here in the forces and they like to look after one another :)

if you pm me ii will give you my contact details

cheers

debbie

Hi Debbie

I've pm you. thanks x

Guest flo&mags
hi again, thanks for the qwik reply. We not in the Uk, havn't been for 5 years now. Live in Nz. We checked out all the schools in the area and decided on location,accedemics, not too religeous! and lots happening sports wise. You prob need to phone some of the schools now- to check places! semi private ones get full early in yr 7. as this is the change year for middle school.I wasn't very impressed with Rockingham high! and Warnbro was out of zone. was a bit of a culture shock with extra security fencing at schools, we dont have that here! anyone can wander around the schools in nz!!have you got jobs sorted then?

Hi Yr so lucky getting yr kids into Living Waters - am on a waiting list could be 2yrs till my two get there!! Its a wonderful school.

Flo

Guest pommorama

Hi all. I've moved to the Rockingham area and am looking at high schools for next year.

I've heard that the local state schools are terrible in the area and that you have no option but to attend the state school in your zone.

Every one I've met in the area are decent people who want the best for their kids. Why are the local schools so terrible? I'm a bit reluctant to send my son there but we've missed the boat for an 09 entry into a private school.

Does anyone commute from Rockingham to Federick Irwin? How far is the commute?

Hi all. I've moved to the Rockingham area and am looking at high schools for next year.

I've heard that the local state schools are terrible in the area and that you have no option but to attend the state school in your zone.

Every one I've met in the area are decent people who want the best for their kids. Why are the local schools so terrible? I'm a bit reluctant to send my son there but we've missed the boat for an 09 entry into a private school.

Does anyone commute from Rockingham to Federick Irwin? How far is the commute?

You can apply for your kids to go a state school if you are out of it`s catchment area, however they don`t have to take you (it depends on how much space they have). Try phoning the school you want your kid to go to and asking them. Personally I think it depends on who you speak to - I`ve heard bad things about every school in the area (including the private ones)and I`ve heard good things about them all too - it depends on who you speak to - phone the schools, look round them, speak to people who actually have kids enrolled at the school and make your own mind up.

• 2 weeks later...

hi

my kids go to state schools - charthouse primary and safety bay high and i dont have a problem with either.

rockingham high school has the lowest truancy. warnbro primary and high school are good too.

i agree that it depends on who you talk too...

good luck

debbie

Archived